buildings, woods... walgdeists

Mr_Smigs

Question

19 answers to this question

The way we have played it at my lgs is that is dose cover other terrain but we use green felt so we just put it under the other terrain. I think the lack of response is due to amazement and shock that your question dosn't appear to be a loaded/baited one however no one has responded yet and you might be bluffing some high crows as usual.

in an unofficial fun game I would rule it as you can move the forest over other forests, rocks, statues.

I think rivers and buildings would block it. I'm not sure how I would rule roads.

why would some terrain block it and others not?

what would be your guideline for deciding if the terrain blocks it?

When it came up in a game I played with another Henchman a few months back (maybe more like a year now), we just combined the two pieces of terrain together until I moved the forest again (and yes it affected the building that it covered, inside and out). It was a casual game and we thought it would be the most fun.

I thought one of us had asked for an official ruling on here, but a search showed that neither Chainsawhand or myself started a thread for it (have a hazy recollection that it was ruled somewhere just not sure where). Perhaps it was started by someone else and we just chimed in on it.

I think the main issue with this spell is the practicality: moving the wood base away/under models and terrain is a pain!! So far as house rule we played that woods can't overlap other terrain, however I feel this is VERY limiting to the spell value, as if your table if loaded with small pieces of terrain, your wood won't be able to go anywhere but 2-3" each side, more or less useless.

I think it should be able to move over everything, however I do think it's a pain to do, particularly if models are clustered.

why would some terrain block it and others not?

what would be your guideline for deciding if the terrain blocks it?

Basically I'd use the following based on if a forest would normally normally be able to grow there.

River - Blocked: Because trees usually don't grow directly in water. But its arguable if its a bog.

Man made structures - Blocked: Being able to move a forest into a man made structure (with foundations) would be difficult for trees to grow threw.

Rocks - Depends on size: I said before a forest can move threw a rock, but I would not let it move threw a bolder cluster/large rock. in my LGS we us a lot of small free standing crates/rocks which would not stop a forest. Walls would not block a forest.

Roads : if its supposed to be heavily bricked road then no, dirt roads are not an issue.

Walls: in a field would not block it.

In the end you need to agree in your LGS, We still have disagreements on terrain after 2 years using the same terrain pieces.

Basically I'd use the following based on if a forest would normally normally be able to grow there.

River - Blocked: Because trees usually don't grow directly in water. But its arguable if its a bog.

Man made structures - Blocked: Being able to move a forest into a man made structure (with foundations) would be difficult for trees to grow threw.

Rocks - Depends on size: I said before a forest can move threw a rock, but I would not let it move threw a bolder cluster/large rock. in my LGS we us a lot of small free standing crates/rocks which would not stop a forest. Walls would not block a forest.

Roads : if its supposed to be heavily bricked road then no, dirt roads are not an issue.

In the end you need to agree in your LGS, We still have disagreements on terrain after 2 years using the same terrain pieces.

my only argument is that the spell itself doesn't mention any such limitations.

unlike others that say they have to be placed at least an inch away from other models,

this forest mover doesn't have such a limit...

unlike others that say they have to be placed at least an inch away from other models,

Just read this thread now, but id have to agree on the post quoted above, everything has restrictions in the spell, if this has none then it can move over everything, it just does not move anything else.

I intentionally made several very large forests while I was waiting for my Walgeists to arrive just so I could spam their abillity to move them and attack through them. At the time I was making the majority of the terrain we used. My opponents have since bought terraclips and now we play with less forest terrain which is a shame because of Lilith's avatar.

I intentionally made several very large forests while I was waiting for my Walgeists to arrive just so I could spam their abillity to move them and attack through them. At the time I was making the majority of the terrain we used. My opponents have since bought terraclips and now we play with less forest terrain which is a shame because of Lilith's avatar.

even without, when lilith goes avatar, she has a strike on a good 1/3rd of the table...

but as for "it's up to the TO" that's a terribly half-assed response.

yes, with no official ruling, it's up to the TO... but if the TO here rules one way,

then a player from here rolls to another state expecting the same, and gets ruled opposite... then problems form.

Only problem is in reality tress can grow in all these locations, hell I have seen them thrive in all these places (in several different places around the world).

Think of the trees as walking around and awaiting their next instructions from the Waldgeist vice uprooting themselves then immediately replanting.

With these limitations (and some of the others mentioned) the Waldgeist's spell is so situational that it is almost useless.

I think I've asked about it back when we were discussing Terraclips tables. I think there are only two guidelines:

1. Terrain has bases just like everything.

2. Models stand on the top of the terrain (even the ones which can go "into" terrain, like spirits, end up their movement standing on it, not being in it).

So when the forest "moves", it's base changes position and models which were standing on the plain ground find themselves standing on the terrain base - nothing wrong with that.

As for other terrain pieces... how do you normally play it? Is it OK to place a wall inside of a GW forest, for example? (one terrain base within another?). I try to avoid these situations for the gameplay purposes, but I don't think they are prohibited per se - the Rules Manual says other items can be placed within terrain base (it says "typically models", but it is not limiting) unless the terrain is impassable.

I understand someone may interpret "other items" as markers, tokens and such, but I think there's no ground to read it that narrowly.

In other words, unless the terrain is impassable, the forest base can sneak under it (or into it if it's an area terrain and is larger than the forest).