Insanity Prevailed (again)

Rannith

Hi,

A week ago all I knew about Malifaux was the vague knowledge that it was one of the many games inhabiting the walls of my FLGS. I had never played it I didn't know anyone who had played it. In fact those two conditions are still accurate. BUT the important thing was way back then I didn't own any of the books or miniatures for the game, now six days later I own;

1 Burgandy Fate Deck

Malifaux Rules Manual

Rising Powers

Twisted Fates (or whatever the other one is called I don't have it to hand.)

C. Hoffman

Perdita Ortega

Lucius Governor's Secretary

Lady Justice

Sonia Criid

Francisco Ortega

Nino Ortega

Santiago Ortega

Papa Loco (presumably Ortega)

Abuela Ortega

Lawyer

Guildguard Captain

Judge

Samael Hopkins

3 X Witchling Stalkers

2 X Guild Austringers

5 X Guild Guards

3 X Death Marshalls

1 X Executioner

1 X Peacekeeper

1 X Ryle Guild Pawn

1 X Guardian

1 X Watcher

1 X Hunter

1 X Avatar of Conflagration

1 X Drill Sergeant

1 X Governor's Proxy

1 X Enslaved Nephilim

1 X Scales of Justice

1 X Purifying Flame

1 X Mechanical Attendant

and

1 X Miss Pack (Nurse) which rather confuses me.

Now if I ever get all or in fact any of the above assembled, where do I go from here. In all that confusing array above is there anything notably missing that I should get? Advise on constructing a crew and tactics would be appreciated.

Rannith

"I will bend like a reed in the wind..,"

*CRACK*

"Bugger..,"

Thats pretty good going. Can't see any gaps.

Speak with the FLGS as to when there are other malifaux players in, and how to get into contact with them. Its much easier to let someone else teach you to play than teach yourself

My suggestion is to Play Lady Justice +2 death marshals against Sonnia Criid +2 witchling stalkers in a Shared Treasure hunt to learn the rules. You're limiting it to only two models woth or rules to learn on each side, getting a good mix of Melee, Spells and Ranged combat. Should also give you an idea of what your own style of play is.

I have to agree with Adran, that's a good idea for the fiesta game it will cover a lot of the basic mechanics of the game, then you can expanse the games and use more schemes and strategies once you are comfortable with the game mechanics.

The miss pack is a limited ed model like as the name suggests is a miss-pack, game wise it is a Nurse which is one of the resser minions, like me ss you have all guild it will be largely useless unless you do expand into ressers but its still a lovely mini to paint.

As for constructing a crew, what is suggest is deciding which of the masters and henchmen you like the look and style of the best. Play with them for a bit, then expanse into other masters as you get into the higher games.

I'm just hanging around like a reject resurrectionist hoping to eavesdrop on a customer talking about it.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!

I laugh because I do the same thing at times.

But I have to third that suggestion. It's a fairly simple strategy, and low model count. Should be pretty easy.

Thank you all for your responses, I know it is the ideal of an internet forum but it is nice to see people from all 'round the world popping in.

Once I get out of hospital I will definitely try the three on three match up that has been suggested before going all out on one crew. I would really like to go C.Hoffman as the miniatures and his background/rise to power really appeal to me but as one of my previous oponents in another game said "You have all the tactical subtlety of a shotgun to the balls" I think I might have to try someone that requires a little less precision integration of components. Is there a crew that just comprises one big creature that just walks on things and then eats the squishy remains?? No? Darn!

Something to take my mind off my ribs anyway.

Regards

Rannith

Oh and Sorry Bucket Monkey, Thank you for the explanation of Miss Pack. As you might expect from the speed with which I acquired one faction for Malifaux it is highly likely that I will pick up another faction quite soon.

On another subject does anyone else find the minis fragile to assemble? some of the joints and limbs are very thin and even the drill bits I used to pin them tended to snap with annoying frequency.

Are you lubricating your drill bits? Even sticking them in an old candle (wax) will help to immensely extend the life of the bit. I use a gun lubricant sample I got from a salesman at work, haven't broken a bit unless I get carried away and too heavy handed. And I don't find the Malifaux minis as bad as the PP minis to pin. It's a relief to see one and two piece models for a change.

Diehard,

No I haven't been lubricating the bit and I should have thought to. I'm a bit of a neophyte in the assembly/painting department so any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Is there any particular lubricant you would suggest? You mentioned candle wax but as a last resort kind of thing, what would be better? A thin light machine oil like sewing machine oil or a heavier grease like petroleum jelly?

Thanks again

Rannith

Diehard,

No I haven't been lubricating the bit and I should have thought to. I'm a bit of a neophyte in the assembly/painting department so any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Is there any particular lubricant you would suggest? You mentioned candle wax but as a last resort kind of thing, what would be better? A thin light machine oil like sewing machine oil or a heavier grease like petroleum jelly?

Thanks again

Rannith

I'd go with a lighter oil, like clipper oil.

I wouldn't consider wax as a last resort, it works well but an actual lubricant is best. Sewing machine oil (I'm not sure what dave is referring to as clipper oil) would be perfect, anything light along those lines. Besides pinning, scoring your models (making parallel grooves with your knife) also gives better adhesion, more surface for glue to hold on to. I'll post if I think of anything else, but feel free to ask if you're unsure opf something, there are a lot of friendly and helpful people on these boards.

Still pin heavy/large pieces, but one of the local gamers here gave me a phenomenally great tip that works incredibly well: styrofoam. Specifically, the kind that electronics like DVD players are packaged in. Simply take a single "grain" of foam and place a dot of superglue on each piece you want to assemble. The glue will melt the foam, which will then act as both a gap-sealer and a setting accelerant, and IMO it holds much better than using something like Zap-a-Gap and it's aerosol quickener which tends to leave a film behind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

haha nice effort, reminds me of when i got into malifaux.

u mentioned u want any suggetions for models to fill in the gaps

maybe some guild hounds for some objective grabbing, and to fill out a lucius list if u decide to run one (im enjoying lucius atm)

and maybe some fire gamins (arcanist model that can be used with sonnia [spreads burning tokens which avatar sonnia likes ] ), and Sue (mercenary, same deal with the burning tokens)

I hope u enjoy the game, i'm loving it (im at 16 masters and all henchmen(yes.. i have a problem :P)