Outskirts of Malifaux - PIC HEAVY

Demonn Agram

a little hiatus from the craphouse..

So, in the last couple of weeks, my Malifaux gaming group an I have been talking about making the tables for our tournaments. We think that 10 tables will be enough (I mean, terrain for ten tables) kinda like we have for our LOTR SBG games:

LOTR-Shire01.jpg

LOTR-Rohan01.jpg

Anyway, the bulk of the terrain will be non-descript - hills/forrests/rock formations, but to tie it all to Malifaux, we've decided on geting some Western-style houses.

After a little research, we found Wargames Buildings and their BlackWater Gulch series of buildings:

854849.jpg?397?7869263?8757330

1511227.jpg?387?2893407

not exactly cheap, but it looks solid and of great quality. (we ordered some - so a review will follow).

Also, what I thought would be the biggest cost to our little project, were the trees. Boy how was I wrong :smile:

A little research through Ebay, I found numerous Chinese selling trees at no price at all.

For example, the sets we bought cost 2,99USD+ 1,99USD shipping (5bucks/12trees) -

46efb1370f776d5a8191621f57547d4d.jpg

you can find these at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12x-Model-Tree-Building-Street-Tree-Landscape-layout-O-S-Scale-/150916144924?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item23234d9f1c

anyway, they arrived and this is how they look:

101_1252.jpg

101_1253.jpg

(I realized too late that there is only ten trees in the photo - I left two on the table beside my lightbox)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my first order from Battle Flag and built the gallows and General Store yesterday. Great buildings, very detailed with raised floors, boardwalk and gables. Fantastic.

A bit pricey but well worth it. Some woodstain from Ikea and I will have some nice period pieces.

D.

We are currently wating for the sheriff's officce and the Street With No Name 4 buildings set

http://www.wargame-buildings.com/old-west-model-kits.html

if those turn out as good as they look on the pics, we'll get another set of the Street, two Gunsmith houses - which'll bring us to ten buildings (one per table).

Next year we'll probably get the Photographer's, Undertaker's and the Maison Rouge with another set of the Streets. then, we'll be around two houses per table for our tournaments.

But the best thing will be that we'll also be able to field an entire Western city on one board (with 17-20 buildings)..

I do know that. a little balsa work and we'll have it fixed in no time. 5-7GBP per terrain for just the roof is far too steep (I'd need 100GBP just for the roofs for all the buildings - I'd rather get the hotel for that cash) and I'm pretty skilled with balsa and will do it for 1/10 of the cost...

But thanks for the thought :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, yesterday the first set of BlackWaterGulch buildings has arrived. I'll be building them with the help of my clubmates for my club's terrain inventory. The idea is to have at least 1-2 buildings for every table we play on. I'm thinking at least ten tables -> which means we are about 20% done :smile:

We bought the Street With No Name set and the Sherrif's office. first, the buildings come wrapped in plastic bags:

wyrd019.jpg

wyrd024.jpg

they are easy to assemble and fit together perfectly. I placed some of my Malifaux models just for size refference:

wyrd020.jpg

wyrd021.jpg

wyrd022.jpg

and in the end all five buildings assembled (not yet glued):

wyrd025.jpg

yup, they're really good. bit pricey - but time-saving (as it would take us really long to have those buildings made out of balza).

also, the lines of the boards (black lines on the pics) are laser engraved - but are really really thin. I don't know how good it'll paint. for that reason I intend to paint it just by using washes (several shades). will keep you posted on how it turns out...

I have seen them. plan is to get the mexican church, cantina (with extra floor) and two smaller mexican buildings.

then I'll be able to see the difference between the two companies and decide what other buildings to get. I'll need eleven more.

But I think, overall, as Deamonkin mentioned, BattleFlag buildings (especially the DeLuxe series) are a bit more detailed - so I'm hoping that my club will be able to get them (providing we get cofinanced by the City again this year and if I'm able to find a sponsor or two :) ).

anyway, my goal is to get the BF Undertaker's, Photographer's and the Maison Rouge + 6 other sets..

that would make 18 buildings in all (5 here on the pics, 4 mexican ones and mentioned above)