New to malifaux

foxblue

iHi, I'm just getting into Malifaux and am looking for some input on starting with Sonnia and what some good additions should be. I have the boxed set and I'm working with a limited budget so I'm trying to build my crew keeping that in mind.

Right now I'm looking at

Sonnia

Samael Hopkins

2X Witchling Stalkers

2X Guild Hounds

1x Guild Austinger

Which would give me a 30ss crew with a 8ss cache.

I figure the hounds will give me some mobility in speed based games, would help against ressers and could be good flaming death delivery for more aggressive strategies. I have heard nothing but good things about the autringer, he get's me exactly where I want to be in terms of points so I think he'll be a worthy addition.

So... Does this look like a viable multi-purpose list? I'm not looking to be tournament worthy, I just want to make sure I wont get completely creamed by people who take this a bit more seriously than I do.

Edited by foxblue

edit: Welcome to the Forums.

I don't any experience using the Guild, but you seem to have the parts for a decently well rounded force.

Face-beating (Sonnia & Samael)

Grunts for dirty work (Stalkers)

Objective grabbing speed (Hounds, are they "significant" or "insignificant" can't remember, but that's an important point)

Long range annoyance factor (Austringer)

I suspect that some experience players will still give you a rough going over, but that will be more due to their experience than to any specific areas of weakness in your list.

You'll have a 3rd witchling stalker from the boxed set for swapping out models during specific strategies, or to summon via Violation of Magic.

Make sure you read closely the Strategy(ies) you and your opponent flip and also the schemes you and your opponent choose. This isn't your typical game where you want to kill everything your opponent has. Killing his models usually helps, but Strategies and Schemes are where victory points are scored.

I made this mistake in my last game. I killed Hamelin on turn 2 (and all his stolen), and could have spent the rest of the game working on my strategy and schemes, but instead I got distracted by having succeeded in killing Hamelin and tried to kill off the rest of his crew, only to have the rat swarm roll over my crew and wipe me off the table. He then spent the last turn doing his objectives and winning the game. If I had concentrated on objectives after killing Hamelin, I could have scored enough VP for at least a tie and probably even a win.

The dogs by themselves are insignificant they have a pack rule that if you have 2 or more within a certain range of each other they are significant. Sonnia is a very good master and she is fairly straight forward like most guild masters but presents you with good depth as you grow with the game. I will always recommend a guardian with Criid as herself and some of her damage dealers are fragile the guardian helps midigate that some what. You'll want an additional package of witchling stalkers, as you have a spell to turn your enemy into that model even if you don't take your full load in the list itself.

In all honesty, it depends on what missions you and your opponent are doing. If you need plenty off models (reconnotre), then you might want to swap Sammaul for the guardian, but if you need to keep as much as possible alive (one of you has the Slaughter scenario), then swapping out the 2 witchlings could work.

For somethind like Escape and Survive, the Austringer is a lot less useful.

For playing on a budget I suggest starting with the starter box as you have, and play a few games with that. Different player styles will also really effect what you need as well so the best way is to play, see what you feel you need, try proxying them before you buy.