Blast damage type

Therril_83

Question

A question came up in our game a few days ago.

short version: does blast markers inherit the types of the ability that caused them?

examples: If I shoot with a gun that triggers a blast, will that damage retain it's Ranged Strike-type aswell as being blasts, and therefore being reduced both by Bulletproof and Evasive talents?

Same thing with a Melee Strike that causes a blast, will that trigger effects that only trigger from taking melee damage, ex Black Blood?

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I would say blasts retain the properties of Magical, Armor Piercing, and Poison.

Rafkin's Flask of Formalldehyde ranged attack whould be nearly pointless and useless if it wasn't allowed to keep poison. 1/1:blast/1:blast:blast with Poison 2. If the blasts cant keep poison, then why so many blast markers and only doing 1 Damage?

Edited by Fading Memory

I recently noticed that the Gunsmiths Leadstorm spell has a damage profile of: :ranged:pulse 6. Clearly indicating that area effects and attack type can coexist. Including the :ranged in the leadstorm ability makes it a ranged attack (even though the damage is distributed by an area effect) and threfore benefits from "The Hard Way".

and also: *bump*

:blast is blast damage, regardless of what spawned it, be it gunshot, spell, or melee strike. It's blast damage. The only exception is if its magical blast damage or nonmagical blast damage.

Bulletproof does not work against :blast

This is correct.

Hey, Look at me, im an unanswered thread!

Look at you. Marshals are busy with multitudinous tasks and cannot answer every thread, especially when the community has already answered it.

I recently noticed that the Gunsmiths Leadstorm spell has a damage profile of: :ranged:pulse 6. Clearly indicating that area effects and attack type can coexist. Including the :ranged in the leadstorm ability makes it a ranged attack (even though the damage is distributed by an area effect) and threfore benefits from "The Hard Way".

and also: *bump*

And also, one question per thread.

The :ranged in in there to preclude him from using it in melee.

Because blast damage can be magical or non-magical, this should also mean that blast damage can retain the traits of poison, and armor piercing, sense magical is a trait as well.

I would also say correct.

Unless one of the above was a trigger. Triggers only effect the initial target of the spell / attack / etc.

Yup. Magic is a source of damage type. Ranged is attack type. If effect affects type of damage (regardless of source or attack type), like Evasive does, it stacks on top of the other such effects.

It seems perfectly possible to have all 4 types of armor applied to one attack (blast caused by a spell based ranged attack), as long as there is a model who has all 4 types of armor abilities (custom creation, I guess. :D)

Freikorps armor is fairly all inclusive, what with an armor value and immunities to all damage from :pulse, :aura, and :blast. The Librarian adds magic resistance to the mix as well. [Right? My books are at home.] They just don't have the other stackable armor types, unless some other model's effect can grant it to them.

And Hatchethead, I concur. I'd rather have my face in the sand and dick in the dirt than hope my kevlar stops a bullet. Trying to apply real life military terms and logic to Malifaux abilities, or any other game is tricky to say the least. [i do know that one of the columnists from D20 Modern used to be a tanker in the Army and used that experience for when a vehicle counts as disabled and other weapons stats.]

Yeah, as per usual, Malifaux has the most streamlined yet most confusing rules. What's this I hear about a Malifaux 2.0? Or at the least, some rules manual 2.0?

Oh, and thank you to Eyespy for the page number for armor vs object. [Page 44 of the Rules Manual, for those of you just tuning in.]

With traits, abilities, etc., all scattered throughout the rules manual, it can be quite the process trying to find what even one model is fully capable of. I don't think saving the ink on the cards by not spelling out the abilites, triggers, etc., on the card has turned out to be worth it. At least if there were room on the card for each, we could just print out the new wording on an errata'd card and glue it to it, instead of waiting for a vX.0 version. And the cards could stand to be a wee bit larger (just enough so that they still fit in the same toploaders that we use now that they're not quite a perfect fit for).

Edited by i_was_like_you