Tourney Question - Why?

Mr_Smigs

I like pulling out all the stops and not feeling guilt about it. (well not all the stops, but all the stops within my Guild faction confines). I also am more willing to accept a beat down by another player in a tourney, see those brutal lists, and then come read on the Forums peoples angst against them while quietly my soul whispers "preach it brother...preach it."

I always preferred the Ghengis Khan (arguably the original quote) to the Conan one:

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Tournament scene is great.

1.Get to play against crews dont normally play against

2.Get to play against new players

3.Get to play and meet up with friends made at previous tournaments that dont play in my local gaming group and generally immmerse myself in the Malifaux community, rather than the mixed scene at my local gaming club

4.Helps improve my game and provides me with challenging opponent

5.The chance to win prizes and prestige..

I get to smash peoples faces in.

In all honesty the sole reason I play the hobby is to be challenged, meet new people and have fun. Guess what tournaments do?

Without tournaments I doubt I'd be in the hobby, they bring everything I want, and anyone that knows me knows I'm a very competitve person, eg, beer pong at the weekend.

Tournament play is something special for me. I come a background of primarily 40k and have always enjoyed tournament play. The reason you typically aren't having to explain the rules or other types of screwing around. It gives you a chance to spend a day or two depending on the size of the tournament just playing the game you love. It gives me something to focus my hobby efforts so that I can finish a crew up for a tourney get it all painted and based. I get to hopefully play against different opponents than I would on a league night and I might get to play that master that no one around the area plays. I can also take the pain, or I can try and win with something silly just for the holy crap I made you look bad with the crap I brought factor. And the after tourney events like grabbing some food and some brews those that you crushed or crushed you to talk about the games and the game itself. Tournaments can be and are great ambassadors of the hobby. I look forward to my first malifaux tourney hope it can be as fun as some of my experiences in other systems.

So let me expand the question:

What do you look for in a tournament to consider it fun and enjoyable? Is it just meeting new people, smashing your opponents face in, or is it more than that?

good expansion.

in the same vein... would you show to a promotional event that didn't promise prizes for kicking the most ass...

just for the opportunity to play more people/games in a day...

does a prize have to be associated with the event?

good expansion.

in the same vein... would you show to a promotional event that didn't promise prizes for kicking the most ass...

just for the opportunity to play more people/games in a day...

does a prize have to be associated with the event?

I actually prefer the idea of having prizes with "no powergamer value", i.e. no new uber models or anything like that. If the prizes were things like t-shirts, keychains, neat little extras that a fan would enjoy (but a powergamer would find impractical), then that would be cool.

I also really like the idea of winning prizes (just as good) for other categories- favorite opponent, best painting/theme, and "most black jokers flipped in a game"- those sort of things. While still rewarding the strongest player (who can get a plaque or something) it would give everyone a reason to play and enjoy every round without worrying about their VP totals so much.

Different tournies offer different things.

I like a low key beginners tourney to get several games in and play some new people

I like a hard core experienced tourney to challenge my skill.

I think as long as the people playing are not the types that get anger and mean when they lose then I am happy.

As for prizes. I like them, but I don't need them. I also like when some of the prizes are for thing other then winning. Although to be honest I think in a tourney people expert the winners to get prizes. Prizes for other types of success are best for campaigns and leagues and such.