What do you hold a mini with when painting?

redben

I put some blu-tac on the top of an old GW paint pot, and stick the figure's base onto that. Holds it very securely, and I don't get fingers on the model or paint on my fingers while I am painting.

On the very rare occasion when I paint a model before basing it, I will put pins in the model's feet and stick him on a temporary base with just the pins to hold him in place. Alternatively, I use a pin vice to grip the pin.

I'm in the blu-tac and bottle top/wine cork brigade as well.

I've recently discovered Beasts of War, though, and in one of their painting vids they had a kind of retort stand type setup with a bendy arm with a roach clip on the end to hold the base and that intrigued me.

I don't have the steadiest hands and sometimes getting them both to agree to not move at the same time can be difficult. :)

I don't have the steadiest hands and sometimes getting them both to agree to not move at the same time can be difficult. :)

Snap, but I found having my wrists touching while i paint is handy. Rest the base of your brush hand on the other wrist. That way, when one moves the other one goes with it. You may not be able to see the mini very well as it jiggles about, but that brush tip will stay much more still relative to the model!

I usually use the Chessex "Mini Display Boxes" (aka the little plastic cubes their dice come in) and blu-tack. I've also used corks, wooden blocks, soda bottle twist tops, pill bottles, short bits of dowel, shot glasses, pretty much whatever I can find that I can attach a model to and hold comfortably.

I use a 1-1/4" wooden dowel, cut to about six inches long. I pin all my models to scenic bases, so a drilled hole the size of the pin and it fits nicely. A touch of superglue under the foot keeps it in place, but cracks pretty easily once I'm done.

I tried a lot of the other suggestions, and really wasn't happy with any of them. Poster tack never seemed to hold the minis well, especially the heavier ones... But what I really like is how much larger the dowel is compared to things like pill bottles. I have large hands, and the big dowel rests comfortably in my hand rather than just being held by the fingers. Relaxes things considerably.

It's cheap, too - you can make a dozen of them for a cheap buy of a single rod at a home improvement store. Just make sure you get them cut on a good table saw so the ends are square and it will stand up when you're not using it.

I either hold the base or glue the base onto an empty paint bottle for a better grip. I've been using spare pin vices these days with the miniature attached at the foot. Makes it pretty easy to prime this way as well.

Since I've been using resin bases, I always have to clip the tab off of the miniature anyway.