Coming back to Malifaux - Cult of December help?

McNs

Howdy:

I'm coming back to Malifaux after a ~2 year haitus. Played a lot at Gencon 2009, came home, sold the game as hard as I could locally, then life kicked me in the junk and I had to drop gaming for a while.

Anyhow... after a long break, I'm back in the game. I've got a lot of stuff to catch up on from Rising Powers, and a lot to get used with Gaining Ground (instead of just using the scenario schemes from the book). I'm initially going to play mostly with Rasputina and her theme models. When I left, I usually took:

Tina

- Essence

2-3 Gamin

Ice Golen

December Acolyte

Gunslinger/Cerebus

A lot's changed since then, obviously. I know Silent Ones and Snowstorms are well regarded for 'Tina; though I'd love some list/strategy help with how her new models turn. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

- Owen

Ok Raspy is great and much fun to play. How I play her might be different then others but I build my crew around her and have her do all the heavy lifting. So that in mind

-Ice Gamin I have them as her bodyguard usually 2 for me one forward one back because the +1 Damage is very nice.

-Ice Golem I personally don't like so don't use so ask someone else.

- Decembers Acolyte I keep close to Raspy as a last line of defense and to be close to a silent one. Range 15 is great for him

- Silent one I run between 1 and 2 the reason I run them is first Perfect Mirror so you only take a -1cb to casting through them. Other reason is +3rg to all tallents abilities and what not. How I read that rule is now you can ark through 9 inches ahead and with +3 to the spell. Plus Shatter 3 is great.

-Snow Storm, Great front line brawler 8 wounds spirit with eat your fill. He likes draging silent one's into positions or his ice gamin buddy. Don't move to fast and you have him there to take some wounds kill something get all wounds back and draw your enemy out so Raspy can kill things. (If I take him I won't bring an Acolyte or Cerberus just to many points.)

- Tiger, Gives you something you don't have in very fast melee beater that is independent. Great piece love to take it.

Essance - Must have link and cast ice pillars.

Lists

35______________ 35______________ 25

Raspy ___________Raspy____________ Raspy

-Essance_________ -Essance _________-Essance

Snow ___________Silent ____________Silent One

Silent x2 ________Tiger _____________Acolyte

Gaminx2________ Gaminx3 __________Gaminx2

6 stones ________Convict/Acolyte ____7 Stones

_______________5 Stones

Mix and match have fun.

- Silent one I run between 1 and 2 the reason I run them is first Perfect Mirror so you only take a -1cb to casting through them. Other reason is +3rg to all tallents abilities and what not. How I read that rule is now you can ark through 9 inches ahead and with +3 to the spell. Plus Shatter 3 is great.

I am pretty sure you have this part wrong. You get +3 to the range of the spell, but not to ice mirror on top of that. Otherwise good advice.

I am pretty sure you have this part wrong. You get +3 to the range of the spell, but not to ice mirror on top of that. Otherwise good advice.

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18324&highlight=NOrth+Wind

Here is the resolved Rules forum answer I know it doesn't actually resolve anything because there is no Marshal or Employee response to it.

edit: Posted in Rules forum to see if we can get an answer.

Edited by Mentat_Canis

Thanks Mentat_Canis!

Looks like we did get an answer there, though it looks like North Wind doesn't extend Ice Mirror 3". T'would have been nice, but having a 19" is still pretty nice.

In terms of Strategies/Schemes, what do people like with 'Tina? Should I be gunning for schemes that require minimal interactions with terrain/movement?

One of the models that I've been having a lot of success with recently with Tina is actually Myranda.

Now, she sucks with an all beast crew as anything other than a healer, and even at that its pretty difficult to pull off.

Where she shines though, is with Tina. This is because she gives you a very fast moving piece that can transform and fill a variety of different roles:

for instance, if you need another caster to use Tinas spells, you can transform into a bayou raptor, hit tina and enrage, before reverting and moving forward. From then onwards, so long as you stay within 6" of Tina, you can cast 2 or 3 times a turn, using Tinas spells.

If you need a fast moving melee beatstick to take out a crucial piece, (say for grudge or kill protegee) you transform into a shikome, move and nimble over to somewhere you wont be targetted for a turn, and then go (all) new prey to select whatever needs to die. Turn 3 onwards you can go kill. You can also do this if you need to move up for certain schemes, such as claim jump or sabotage.

Well, what we can agree with is that Ice Wind will extend the range of spells / effects... one could only look at Snow Storm and her fun pushing abilities to increase the mobility of Raspy + crew. =)

Also, increasing a soon going to be dead minion's Shatter range is pretty sneaky. ;)

Now.... if there is a spell that allows all Shatter after-effects to heal the crew rather than potentially damage them... MUAHAHAHAHA

Edited by Dezzo

i shall,

north wind dosn't extend the ice mirror, so this is only 6", pulses won't extend,

nort wind icreases spells and effect with the Rg stat, thats a big difference than range, range and Rg are different things ;) but no mellee strikes, (ice golem striking a melee with 5"??)

tograth, you know, i never tought of having myranda in tina's crew :), could be fun :D since you can give myranda/shikome/cerberus frozen heart to benefit from the +1dg :)

i shall,

north wind dosn't extend the ice mirror, so this is only 6", pulses won't extend,

nort wind icreases spells and effect with the Rg stat, thats a big difference than range, range and Rg are different things ;) but no mellee strikes, (ice golem striking a melee with 5"??)

tograth, you know, i never tought of having myranda in tina's crew :), could be fun :D since you can give myranda/shikome/cerberus frozen heart to benefit from the +1dg :)

Range and Rg is DIFFERENT? xD

Now that is something new to me...

*goes read the rulebook again*

I don't quite understand why this is so confusing. there are distances IE when you die you might do damage to everything in 2", Ice Mirror can work through models within 6". Then there is Rg which is a stat that spells and Ranged weapons have.

I think the confusion is resultant from about a year of people saying that North Wind did affect Ice Mirror, and then all of a sudden it hit everyone that it doesn't.

I don't quite understand why this is so confusing. there are distances IE when you die you might do damage to everything in 2", Ice Mirror can work through models within 6". Then there is Rg which is a stat that spells and Ranged weapons have.

It helps to the confusion that North Wind says it affects abilities, when in fact there is no ability that has a Rg value.

I'll be the first to admit that I made the wrong assumptions the first many times I read the rule.

@Mentat_Canis:

Rg is an abbrevation for range, abilities however don't have ranges, it's just that most of them only affect something within x inches.

Edited by Wodschow

Thank you Ratty great to know now and I was with everyone else where I was thinking Rg was an abbreviation also so now I know and knowing is half the battle.

I think "everyone else" is a bit of an overstatement.

I think "all of the other people who can't read rules properly" would be more precise :)

I think "everyone else" is a bit of an overstatement.

I think "all of the other people who can't read rules properly" would be more precise :)

I like to think of it as hyperbole :top: and you are more percise I am normally good at the rules reading but when I am wrong I always like to be corrected. This was a fun topic hope the op got what he needed cause we kinda hi-jacked it from help with raspy to North Wind Ice Mirrors.