GenCon 2011 Lessons Learned

Bohemian

I came back from GenCon today. First off I want to thank Z, Steve and Justin for running the tournaments I played in. I also want to thank Matt for being the last 'even' player for Puppet Wars. We had an epic 2-player on Saturday night.

Puppet Wars is not Malifaux. They are different. I had a blast playing in three Puppet Wars tournaments. I learned a lot about the game. It helps to play, so get out there an play! Anyway, what lessons learned or tips did anyone get at GenCon?

I learned that one should discard the black joker when you get it since the deck is not shuffled each turn like in Malifaux.

A lot of players like me are old school and remember ZoC (Zones of Control). Don't use that concept. There is a "Blocking Rule" on page 17 of the rulebook that many were confusing with ZoC. There is no ZoC in Puppet Wars.

I hope everyone had as great a time as I did.

Buying all the expansions and the main box does not get you a teddy :(. Other than that. You'll want to get a case to hold all the minis. Those little multi part guys are gonaa bounce around that box :). Great game. Looking forward to playing a bit as I spent the entire weekend demoing Malifaux. Hope everyone had a blast.

I played this game on a lark and the wife and I bought the full set + 2 more Puppet Decks + a KR Multicase to hold everything.

I learned that I can scratch my miniature game itch with having to feel bad about dragging friends into the game, having them spend like 150 bucks, and having them hate the game.

I learned that Karn is an interesting fellow

I learned that I had better draft the minis I want to paint early or the wife will steal them away from me.

On another note I want to thank everyone who stopped by for a Demo in the MH with me during the convention!

Just running through the game over and over again has honestly taught me a lot about how to demo the game and how people received it! I know I've learned a lot from everyone and hopefully when it comes time to do this again we can make it even better! I honestly loved seeing things click with people as they played through the game and I hope everyone had lots of laughs and fun with it!

Hopefully people wont forget that you have to say Mine! in a high pitched voice! I know Lobo and I were pitching that ;D

Thanks again to everyone! I hope I made at least a decent impression upon you and honestly I hope you enjoyed the game more then anything else!

I learned that the Ice Golem is a great addition to any army for it's Rg 3 free action.

I learned that working with the guys at Wyrd (everyone I met) was a blast, and that getting booth credit to demo a game that is awesome really is like having delicious cake and eating delicious cake at the same time!

I learned that it is possible to demo games on very little sleep and with no voice assuming enough caffeine and/or adrenaline is running through your system.

I learned that it really is fun to cackle with glee upon convincing people to spend $200+ on a game they had never heard of before!

I learned that in just one weekend of sulking and looking sad you can convince your wife that Indianapolis in August is the perfect place to take family vacation :)

I hope to see all you guys next year.

I learned getting married in August and using GenCon as your anniversary gift/trip every year was teh best idea ever.

I learned I am one lucky SOB, getting 4 out of 5 Teddys