Team Marcus

Fulgrima

The beasts I would say a Marcus player should have in his super duper arsenal, and everyone's opinion will be different is;

Waldegeists

Jackalope

Night Terrors

Sillurids

And that's pretty much it for beasts I think. Alot of people will recomend the shikome, but I find them super naff.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The beasts I would say a Marcus player should have in his super duper arsenal, and everyone's opinion will be different is;

Waldegeists

Jackalope

Night Terrors

Sillurids

And that's pretty much it for beasts I think. Alot of people will recomend the shikome, but I find them super naff.

Im just getting into marcus and im wondering. Are both night terrors and silurids both required, they'd seem to be filling similar roles in a crew i'd have thought. and both need to be taken in bunches to be effective so wouldnt necessarily both be fitted into the same game

Im just getting into marcus and im wondering. Are both night terrors and silurids both required, they'd seem to be filling similar roles in a crew i'd have thought. and both need to be taken in bunches to be effective so wouldnt necessarily both be fitted into the same game

I think this is probably particularly true for tournaments with limited model selection.

@dgraz - Don't even get me started on me deep hatred of raptors. Useless.

As for terrors and silurids. Well, the bats are ace for stuff like recon/stake a claim (Cheap, sig models), and are IMO, best in 3's. Silurids are ace for stuff like destroy the evidence/sabotage and IMO best in 2's, so both are good at separate schemes/strats, but both are fast with the night terrors bringing a superb if situational trigger and are PERFECT defend me trigger targets, and the silurids capable of killing living models sometimes as well as immense movement.

They seem similar on paper, but are very diffrerent in game.

Why the vehement Raptor conflict? They read like somewhat useful models to me - throwing an easy point on something like a gunsmith to beast it out and get it's trigger might be worth doing, and they're fast. Easy to Wound and insignificant seem troublesome though - I'm guessing there have two be OTHER Raptors nearby for Pack Hunter to work rather than the Raptor counting as one?

I suppose for 6SS (the cost of making them significant, I could just buy one-two other models that'll be significant regardless of what hits them, but I'd almost see Raptors as vaguely similar to SPAs, in that they do different things if you clump them.

a raptor seems like an ok model to tag your non beasties for the trigger. And seem slightly better if your using blessing of december because then it can also serve to heal it up with its corpse counters

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

@dgraz - Don't even get me started on me deep hatred of raptors. Useless.

As for terrors and silurids. Well, the bats are ace for stuff like recon/stake a claim (Cheap, sig models), and are IMO, best in 3's. Silurids are ace for stuff like destroy the evidence/sabotage and IMO best in 2's, so both are good at separate schemes/strats, but both are fast with the night terrors bringing a superb if situational trigger and are PERFECT defend me trigger targets, and the silurids capable of killing living models sometimes as well as immense movement.

They seem similar on paper, but are very diffrerent in game.

wishful thinking I suppose. While i love the silurid rules i quite despise the models (been pondering proxying a wolf model of some kind as a stand in, but thats a stopgap measure at best)

On the other hand i absolutely love the night terror models

Well, that's you.

Sorry, my comment was meant half in jest, not a dig at you or anything.

Basically, great, I can turn something into a beast. Aside from howl against Pandora, in which instance I would likely just take more beasts to start with, a beast doesn't exactly do anything nor have much synergy with Marcus...

I just got my Marcus.

Painting all the goodies atm.

I did go with, what I understand, is some basic Marcus thingys.

Marcus box.

3 Siliruds

3 Moleman

2 Nightterrors

1 Shikome

1 Jackalope

and 1 Waldergeist (only got one in the blister).

And that leaves me with some questions.

1: How often does ppl toss out the Waldergeist?

1b: Do you play more then one?

2: Any other recomendation for an newbie Team-Marcus wannabee?

Cheers!

I would say I use the waldegeist about one in every three games. I even consider them on boards without terrain. I rarely run two unless the board is heavily wooded.

I would say you're looking good on the beast front, I'd look at a gunsmith, kaeris and a student, as well as possibly 2 more night terrors :)

I would say I use the waldegeist about one in every three games. I even consider them on boards without terrain. I rarely run two unless the board is heavily wooded.

I would say you're looking good on the beast front, I'd look at a gunsmith, kaeris and a student, as well as possibly 2 more night terrors :)

That board at the Team Event. All of my lulz.

So I saw some interesting discussion of hoarcats a ways back in this thread, but their main drawback was speed. Then I looked at the slate ridge mauler and realised they were mostly working at the same speed, so should be able to support each other pretty well. I suppose molemen fall into this discussion too (and against neverborn, may be preferable).

In a 35SS game, you could fit 3 hoarcats and a mauler in a slower force, then a faster objective focused group with Marcus, a jackalope and 3 night terrors, and you'd still have a 7SS cache.

Could something like this work?

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe no one pointed this out yet here. Marcus has access to a move out of turn now! http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/08/exclusive-malifaux-mercenary-showgirl.html

Wyrd has been very careful to make it so Alpha is extremely difficult to use. Nowadays, we have:

The raptors to save Marc the feral or primal reaction use, freeing up another 0 (or two 0) actions. Limited, but sometimes works

The effigy to allow him to Howl beforehand. Entirely reliable at least a couple times in the game

Now a lure that can get him or the target into position, saving him a walk/serpent strike action! Also rather reliable, as the Oiran can choose which suit she needs for the cast. She needs a 6+ :crows or :masks for the cast. That's 17 cards out of the deck of 54 (31% chance off the flip, and odds-are you have one in your hand).

Not to mention the sheer power of Lure as a spell for any crew, it is now available to... any crew! And for 4+1 SS's, that's not a bad price.

Is Alpha still very difficult and situational to use? Sure. But it's becoming more manageable with some creative picks. I mean, 9 SS gets you the Oiran and Effigy, both of which are worthy in themselves and then toss in the Alpha-boost... That's a nice draft for Team Marcus :D.

Edit: I did forget about Marcus's access to the Performer, which has Siren Call. Couple of things that Oiran and her Lure has over that:

- She is less expensive, even hired out of faction

- +1 Wd and Expert Defense (along with a combat trigger which gives defensive stance) gives her much more survivability)

- Adaptive Casting (Siren Call needs a 7+ :masks, which is 8 cards, or 15% chance off the flip)

- It paralyzes if Marcus gets too close, as opposed to just making a strike, which you can cheat around if you feel it necessary.

Edited by brdparker

Can't believe no one pointed this out yet here. Marcus has access to a move out of turn now! http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/08/exclusive-malifaux-mercenary-showgirl.html

That's a pretty damn nice Mercenary Minion. Lure on tap for any crew, for 5 SS? And her other abilities aren't too shabby either.

Color me interested. :) Thanks for posting the link!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd just like to share something that happened today in a game.

Was a 35ss marcus (with no beasts) vs Colette game. on the 3rd turn i managed to get off feral on colette, followed by alpha (she had already activated and had used her reactivate ability, so this negated her second activation and lost her the soulstone she used for it) I then double magicians dueled cassandra dead with her, to gain a soulstone.

do I get my wings for this? :P

Edited by fritz the cat

So, as someone who has been wanting to, but nervous to start, a full on Marcus crew, I'm ready to take the plunge. Been doing a lot of dabbling in reading about crews and techniques, so now... Questions!

-Avatar. I like some of his tricks, but is it worth it? Heard its a little too Soulstone and card reliant by some.

-is the Arcane effigy a good fit for him? The extra 1 for casting sounds great for alpha tricks while still having some tricks in combat.

-the new Oni Beast in Book 4 seems insane, and can easily replace the Cerberus, Blessed, and most 8 point beast models. Why would I want anything else?

-Night terrors seem like the best objective grabbers, since they have flight, spirit, and their blind can shut down anybody's day. I believe that's the general concensus?

My 25 ss crew idea:

3 night terrors

Oni (blessed of december until it comes out)

Gunsmith

Jackalope

Or, remove gunsmith and jackalope to take effigy with the avatar. Do these sound plausible?

As a reply to fritz the cat, i was always under the illusion that Masters were automatically immune to influence, so the feral ability should not have applied to Collette or am i wrong?

I did that a long time ago when i started playing Marcus and tried to do this on lady j only to be told NO because she is a master.

@Halfling - Gunsmith + Ama No Zako is probably an awesome team - they would be really great at holding an area. The Blessed fills a different role....as a self-reliant objective-grabber / harasser but I like the Night Terrors better for that. However, you could do 'Power Ritual' in probably two turns with both the Blessed and Terrors running down opposite flanks.

I'm not a fan of the Avatar at all, but I may just be an idiot.....I have no idea how he can be any good.

The Effigy / Alpha on Master / Drain Souls trick is evil as hell......in hardcore competitive play absolutely. In casual fun games at your LGS or club, well you probably won't have any friends after you do it a couple times.....I tried it once...turn 2 on McMourning....it was one of the most un-fun games I have ever played (for me and my opponent).

If you want to run Marcus really effectively, take a page from UKRocky's book. Don't rely heavily on beasts. Take whatever Minion gets the job done - based on Strats and Schemes. The fact that Marcus can choose beasts from anywhere is a nice perk but not a requirement since he doesn't have a huge amount of synergy with anything.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

As a reply to fritz the cat, i was always under the illusion that Masters were automatically immune to influence, so the feral ability should not have applied to Collette or am i wrong?

I did that a long time ago when i started playing Marcus and tried to do this on lady j only to be told NO because she is a master.

This is wrong. Only models with I2I are I2I....most Masters don't have it.