Malifaux Story PDF??

Cthulu.

You would have to check with Wyrd (nathan or eric) as to the legalities of everything as it is their intellectual property. I know the law seems to vary between countries too.

It may well be that you, personally (provided you had the original books), could scan them into one document and keep, BUT only for YOUR OWN use. As soon as it was made available to someone else it would possibly become an illegal activity...

But I don't know the in's and outs regarding literay stuff. It used to be you could make copies of a CD if you had the original and it was for your own use ONLY.

But I'm sure one of the top dogs will soon put the record straight.

It would be illegal.

And there's clearly a logical reason why that rulebook you bought is so much cheaper than the bigger books.

The fluff (and artwork, and other goodies) are what you would have to pay for in the bigger books. I hear the fluff's worth it!

;)

Glad we have got the official stamp on it...copyright and IP law is such a minefield these days...so there you have it..buy the books!

Or read a friends.. ;)

It would be illegal.

And there's clearly a logical reason why that rulebook you bought is so much cheaper than the bigger books.

The fluff (and artwork, and other goodies) are what you would have to pay for in the bigger books. I hear the fluff's worth it!

;)

Yeah I know, but I'm just starting playing Malifaux and I wanted the up-to-date rules (rather important if you want to play the game, me thinks) and for that the old rulebooks are useless, if Wyrd had instead released a rulebook containing the new rules and the old fluff I would have gladly bought that.

Now I'm hesitant as the only thing the old rulebooks are good for is the fluff and is that really worth the full price of the book?

Mind you I'm not complaining as I'm perfectly happy with the Manual but if there was a way to still read the fluff without having to buy the big book, I would love that.

But as already determined that would be illegal

Now I'm hesitant as the only thing the old rulebooks are good for is the fluff and is that really worth the full price of the book?

They are also the only place where you find complete lists of all the Malifaux Models released and some yet to be released.

They contain rules and stats from the models' cards, though these are sometimes obsolete.

If you want to get an idea how a faction or a master plays, before playing a match against it, or if you want to look for synergies between models you don't own, the old books are priceless.

Yeah I know, but I'm just starting playing Malifaux and I wanted the up-to-date rules (rather important if you want to play the game, me thinks) and for that the old rulebooks are useless, if Wyrd had instead released a rulebook containing the new rules and the old fluff I would have gladly bought that.

Mind you I'm not complaining as I'm perfectly happy with the Manual but if there was a way to still read the fluff without having to buy the big book, I would love that.

But as already determined that would be illegal

Yeah, if you want to know more background and all the info on the characters (though admittedly some stats have now changed) the two main books are worth it.....

But you can probably get them cheap from online sellers?

They contain rules and stats from the models' cards, though these are sometimes obsolete.

If you want to get an idea how a faction or a master plays, before playing a match against it, or if you want to look for synergies between models you don't own, the old books are priceless.

But some/most of the rules are outdated so you the info won't be accurate, so that's why there not much of use IMHO.

But some/most of the rules are outdated so you the info won't be accurate, so that's why there not much of use IMHO.

As one of the guys that helped update the rules, I'd find you extremely hard pressed to support an argument of "most of the rules are outdated" ~ almost everything we did was tighten the language for better tournament support where every word's possible interpretation is twisted to garner a loophole or advantage. There were changes for balance, but the game's still the game that was developed originally.

That said: you are correct: once you have the revised rules manual, all previous rules are obsolete and unnecessary meaning you'll be buying the books just for the other goodies. Is it enough to warrant the price? Well, to each his own. I've bought a number of other gaming books that have gone out of print or that I never intended to play just for some artwork and/or the included story. I'm not a good judge on such things.

Edited by nerdelemental

Well, to each his own. I've bought a number of other gaming books that have gone out of print or that I never intended to play just for some artwork and/or the included story. I'm not a good judge on such things.

No doubt, I remember buying the TMNT Paladium Books back in the day just because I liked the artwork (as well as that terrible Marvel RPG).

Even if you go through an X out all the rules, there is still a ton of use in the books. Like mentioned, the stats on the cards have been tweeked a bit, but not nearly enough to make them useless. And the fluff is a great read and gives a good feel for the game given that Malifaux is much more thematic then typical wargames.

Indeed. Look at the very expensive Forge World Siege of Vraks Imperial Armour books. They ended up releasing a PDF of all the updated rules meaning that the £150+ pounds you originally spent on getting the rules in the first place seemed a waste. Although you are treated to a brilliant story and amazing artwork at £50 each for 3 books I'd argue that for story and pics its well overpriced. However, since the Wyrd books are WAY cheaper you no longer have a difficult choice! ;):D

As one of the guys that helped update the rules, I'd find you extremely hard pressed to support an argument of "most of the rules are outdated" ~ almost everything we did was tighten the language for better tournament support where every word's possible interpretation is twisted to garner a loophole or advantage. There were changes for balance, but the game's still the game that was developed originally.

I thought I read somewhere that some abilities were dropped or changed, or am I mixing my info about another game?

Even so, things were changed and so you would never have 100% accurate info on stats/models because some of them might have changed.

Therefore the only value I see in the older books is the story.

Again, I'm not complaining and I probably understand why people who bought the Manual first would want to buy the older books, I'm just saying I'm still on the fence if I should spend the money on the books or on new crews/miniatures.

So a fluff only book/document would be welcome and i would buy it in a heartbeat.

Changes were made, that's true. Most were from identified typos and cut&paste errors (Judge had one less point of Cb, for example). More pervasive were models that got through playtest that had playing imbalance and they got tweaked. Most were done to Leveticus and SPAbominations but an ability here and there underwent play-changes and that's likely what you heard about. Those are tweaks, though, and sometimes I even read V1 and V2 side by side and cannot quickly identify what changed. Sometimes it's just "You draw" to "This model's controller draws" and I read right over it.

Very much, by and large, the models presented in Book I are the same models. Global revision did not happen. It was more of a cleaning up than a wholesale rebuild. Book II is much closer to 'what you see is what you get', so you might as well buy that book for both fluff and rules (stats)

I thought I read somewhere that some abilities were dropped or changed, or am I mixing my info about another game?

Even so, things were changed and so you would never have 100% accurate info on stats/models because some of them might have changed.

Therefore the only value I see in the older books is the story.

Again, I'm not complaining and I probably understand why people who bought the Manual first would want to buy the older books, I'm just saying I'm still on the fence if I should spend the money on the books or on new crews/miniatures.

So a fluff only book/document would be welcome and i would buy it in a heartbeat.

I realize that it would be illegal for a non-Wyrd entity. I would never do it myself or look for a source other than Wyrd. The Rules Manual is a free PDF or you can buy the book as I have. I was hoping Wyrd had released or posted something that I may just not be aware of

While there was a few changes and errata to certain models; its honestly very little. Though look at it from a different viewpoint... how is one to know which models they want without the core books? Sure you might pickup a few based on looks alone but you still need the full lists to plan out which ones work together for your personal play-style (yes you can skim through the forums and plan you crew based on what others say.. but imo to base all your choices on such limited views takes half the fun from a game.)

Buy Book 1, it really is a good read.

In the meantime, for a general backstory overview listen to episode 1 of my podcast (link in the sig). There is a piece at the start (originally from the D6G) explaining the background. Craig does a great job with his performance.

Edit: My sig is not appearing. Must be gremlins!

Try this: http://theaethervox.com/

Edited by mistercactus

I know of your podcast and I'm subscribed to it on iTunes and it's easily the best one out and not just for Malifaux.

Too often a podcast is 2 or more guys blabbering for over two hours but I really enjoy the mix of fictional stories and personal experiences, I'm slightly less interested in the tactica but I think that's mainly because I don't (yet) play the masters that have been featured so far but I love the option of downloading the entire tactica interview seperate.

Like I said I enjoy the fictional stories tremendously and the narrator has a very pleasant voice.

Keep up the good work.

Sorry to take this thread off topic I just had to express my appreciation for all the hard work that results in this incredible podcast.