Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

I have one, but I've not actually painted him - he's sat in his little box, all alone...

Miss Ery was good fun to paint, and easy to put together. I wasn't sure I liked her either, until I got going with the paintjob. You know what I'm like, I hate stuff I'm working in until it's basically finished :D

Wow. I mean, mice paint job (but that's what I've come to expect), but once I got what was going on with the base... really nice work. I'm not sure the "wave" pulled off the effect (looked like some sort of stuffing/frayed edge more than a transition the first couple times I glanced over it), but that's a really nice bit of base work.

• Like 1

I I were to go back, I'd do a couple of different things with that wave. Some of my tests had long trailing strands every so often, and more of a curl on the front edge like a wave crest. Getting that to work reliably proved somewhat tricky, but probably something I'd take the time to practice if I got the dreamer. I'd use metal medium rather than steel paint too, I suspect.

But that's the way with experimental techniques - always something to learn from every time!

I wonder how perhaps going non-fluff would work, or perhaps suspending it in water effects dyed or some such: Something to make it look like the skein of reality is changing. More sci-fi space portal (Or I guess just Portal, the game...)

I will get a chance to go to town on the new plastic LCB soon I hope! My fiancee is midway through a conversion of a Cthuloid LCB so she doesn't necessarily need new plastic guy. I of course suggested I might know someone who loves toying with models I... er.. they may never play with!

• 1 month later...

So, I don't have my usual rig to take a decent photo, but I did at least have time to finish up the test of translucent flames on my death marshals at last. Good test of it, I think I've worked most of it out now.

imagejpg1_zpse84c697e.jpg

What I've spent more time on lately is this:

imagejpg1_zpsa84a3e23.jpg

10mm scale infantry can take a surprising amount of time

• Like 3

Really interesting effect of the translucent flames. Could I request a different angle shots?
EDIT Uhh, I've just later noticed you don't have your usual equipement...

Did you get any of the transparent minis or tried painting those?

True, true...

Mind you, every time I tried to do a simpler base, it came out looking a bit naff. This was the only way I could actually get it to work!

Similar thing just happened to me yesterday: I was thinking about having Molly walk along a pathway besides a fence by a flowery garden. I thought up some bases for her crew about a half a month ago, but I didn't have all the stuff I needed to build the bases I wanted, so I had to go to my old apartment at parents house to scavange for bits last week.
Then I wasn't really happy with the bits I had for fence and yesterday I went out to an event where wargaming people exchange bits and gotten some new bits for a nicer fence and then I decided I needed a taller fence, because a short one looked a bit underwhelming and I've expanded the whole concept because the fence needed additional details since Molly is a master after all...  :D 

Maybe I would have been happier with a shorter / less detailed fence if I've built a display base for my crew, but then I've would have never started painting 30 odd minis and I don't want to play with unfinished minis anymore.
Might I add I've finished converting some of these minis couple of days before a recent tournament I was building this crew for and couldn't finish painting them on time.
Anyway last month was really exciting for me conversion & base building wise. Painting was a bit frustraiting at some points and I still have to finish everything and even repaint some stuff, but I've learned a couple of new things and I still need to improve my skill with the brush to be happy as I was happy with pre-paint construction results.
Sorry about the rant, I just wanted to say I share similar thought processes to you, even if I don't have your organization skills or otherwise miniature hobby skills nowhere near your level (or however you can describe that sort of artstyle).

Edited by Linus McMold

It's the traditional way to do it - you start small, then decide to make something a bit more impressive, then you have to tweak other bits to match, and before you know it you're trying to build a two foot square diorama with working waterfall and there's no sign of painting ever happening...

So feel free to rant about building and painting, it's a good place for it! And if you're learning new things, then it's never a failure (that's my excuse for some of the less impressive things I've messed up :P )

I'll see if I can get some better shots at the weekend (if I'm functional... Work Xmas party may finish me off), even with my current kit I should be able to do a bit better than that last one :D

I've never actually tried the transparent crews, usually I have ideas that will work better on solid plastic as the paint will fully cover the base model. The exception is my dark debts crew, who I'll be trying some very silly transparency type stuff on when I get round to them (in a millennium or two, there's a few other projects on my table first ;) ), although they will of course be custom transparencies.

• 3 weeks later...

Uh oh, someone's getting into dropzone commander!

Did you make a stamp or just freehand the tile pattern for them?

I highly recommend going to train stores to get things like that. I was lucky enough to find an architectural model someone was tossing, and stripped it of the brick-and-iron fencing to use. It's since been applied to the bases of my Canadian Flames of War infantry company, with loads left over for terrain pieces!

Okay, seriously, enough is enough, Clawz. That patronizing tone of that first statement is uncalled for. Mako knows David of Hawk Wargames, in fact I had the great privilege of meeting David and Simon thanks to Mako introducing me to them at Gencon in 2013. He has been involved with Dropzone Commander, an excellent game, since before it ever got released, and has models that are in the core rulebook. Not only that, he has a cameo in the fluff for the rulebook, because they are friends.

Quite frankly, your attitude in this thread, one that belongs to a good friend and I have always enjoyed coming to, not only has me avoiding the thread of a great painter, but is really starting to piss me off. You come across as arrogant and condescending in your critiques and feedback here. Please. Stop.

• Like 1

I really like your Teddy, and if it is okay I will be stealing your heart pattern a little bit for my own Teddy :)

Its quite funny that you ended up painting him with fur though, when I saw this version I thought, "Finally a teddy without all that damn fur!" ^^

So I will try to paint him as a really old teddy style, where they had no fur, and was just some kind of cloth (no idea what the english word is for it). But something like this:

130604155007-glyn-teddy-story-top.jpg

• Like 2

Steal away Ikvar, steal away!

I didn't plan fur particularly until I realised she reminded me of a teddy my sister had when I was younger. Not that I associate my sister with evil demonic forces, of course ;)

That fabric is interesting, it's almost like a heavy velvet but not quite... Will look good on her though!

• Like 1

Edonil: I have no idea what you're talking about. You may notice Mako has commented to me on a thread about the mountain of grey every modeler amasses, and this was a comment in that vein. I suspect your perception that I'm being condescending is more on you than on me. I am well and truly not bringing any hostility, because frankly it's never worth it on the internet when so much of what one says can be misconstrued.

I don't play Dropzone Commander, but I recognized the models. I don't know he's mentioned in the book, nor that they were friends, because I've only seen his work through this thread and the Chronicles. If you want to further discuss your perception of my attitude, feel free to PM me, but I don't think it's germane to the thread's topic.

Ikvar: I hope you'll keep the fuzzy stripe feet somewhere on the teddy! That bear is adorable!

Mako: What's Dropzone like as a game? I've been unable to find a batrep online that gives a good feel for how the game plays.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

mako have you considdered doing something with one of the clear cast crews? Ive yet to see someone use the translucency(?) to its full effect.

Seeing as youre quite acomplished maybe you have some nifty ideas and or tips on how to go about it? Im aware of the fact that you dont "have" to paint them but that also seems like a waste of the potential. 

and as always: hows that hungering darkness comming along? ;)

So, I don't have my usual rig to take a decent photo, but I did at least have time to finish up the test of translucent flames on my death marshals at last. Good test of it, I think I've worked most of it out now.

What I've spent more time on lately is this:

imagejpg1_zpsa84a3e23.jpg

10mm scale infantry can take a surprising amount of time

Dropzone is ace!

Hey guys, long tine no see!

Yorkshire treated me well, for the few weeks I was there - I got a job in cambridge in September so my planned downtime for painting vanished!

I've not tried the translucent crews, they don't really excite my brushes - I much prefer painting effects onto things, or working on my translucent effects with texture gel. I get more freedom that way. I'm honestly not sure where I'd start with them, as the gloss level and depth of colour etc will change a bunch of things. Maybe one day though.

Now I've got the immortals painted up and based, I've tried experimenting on the depleted from my lunch crew. Not sure I'm happy with it yet though.

Might be able to find the picture of the immortals, but other than them I've not gotten much done lately - I'm pretty busy with work so painting time is at a premium...

Hey guys, long tine no see!

Yorkshire treated me well, for the few weeks I was there - I got a job in cambridge in September so my planned downtime for painting vanished!

You are on Cambridge,UK? That is the city I currently live on. I paint with a couple of other friends at Inner Sanctum collectibles if you have the time and are interested to join us   

Inner sanctum is a little bit of a pain to get to despite living near the centre of the co. Still, maybe one weekend when I'm not worn out from the working week!

I taken it you haven't started cycling then? Would be good to see you there I am there most weekends and Fet from Platoon Britannica is there pretty much always