Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Well, two updates in the same evening! This time the Judge's base area almost sorted out, and the basic tones for lady Js skin done

judgebasearea_zps34251590.jpg

LJbasicskin_zps4b907c87.jpg

The plan is to glaze in some other colours so her skin is a bit more interesting and dead looking - purple, green and yellow in very subtle touches. Just working out where to put it all at the moment so not rushing ahead with it. Already spent over three hours on the skin so not going to risk messing it up!

I am not sure what exactly you planned out, but going for greens and yellows on the skin would do her some greatness. Green is a nice and sickly color, as are some yellows.

If you go for red hair, try adding purple there, instead of the skin. That way you will have that extra bit of contrast in those sections.

You could go for a brown/purple look to add a bruised look to her skin. Make her look 'freshly converted'.

Otherwise fine job and I cannot wait to see the rest of the models tie in with your diorama. :D

I've not settled on a hair colour yet, red might happen but I did like her with white hair. I'll be using the basic colour scheme from my puppet death marshal for the crew, with dark leather coats and cold grey/white hats and belts, which might make the white hair look too much. That's the current puzzle, where to lay the white on her.

The colours on the skin aren't about contrast this time, but are all to get the effect I want - hence using purple (lividity and trauma), yellow and green (bruising).

It's also worth mentioning that this will be clean skin, the dirt, oil and weathering will come later.

Edited by Mako

Great article, i hope you keep doing them in the Journal.

As for the diorama you have going, needless to say, I am anxious to see what you can do with this project. It certainly looks like it is going to be cool.

My thanks button is broken again, but thanks guys! Glad you liked it.

I've not got plans to stop doing the articles any time soon, they're fun and make me really think about my painting process. I reckon I'm learning things I didn't expect to by doing them.

The crew is going to be fun, I'm trying to push myself a bit so they should come out well with any luck. Got justice's skin glazed last night, and by the weekend I'm hoping to have made progress on her and the judge. Just need to get some paint tomorrow evening so I can carry on!

Ok, question for folks - Lady Justice's outfit. Currently, I'm trying to choose from:

Boots - black or dark brown leather

trousers - blue denim or tan

top - tan, red, black, blue, green, turquoise

top trim - black, red, white

gloves - black, white, tan

scabbard - red, purple, green

The other marshals and the judge will be in jeans so I was thinking of something else for her (plus, elegant swordplay is tricky in jeans). She's got red hair and a white blindfold and gun belt.

So far the leading contender is black boots, tan trousers and black or white gloves. But the top and scabbard I'm less certain of, so throw me some ideas!

Hmmm, you make a good case...

All white would be too much perhaps (what with the white belt too), but white gloves and top (with red trim), mid dark tan trousers, and black boots I could definitely go for. With a red scabbard, perhaps. Also, I could adjust the judge to a pale tan canvas duster instead of his usual white coat, to keep Lady J standing out more.

How's that sound?

Thanks guys, some good thoughts there that are now swirling about my head looking for a place to settle. I think I might go with white for the top and gloves, black boots (partly because painting shiny white is a mare!), dark tan for the trousers, and a rich green flecked with yellowy gold for the scabbard. One of my friends has an Iaito with that colour cording, it looks really pretty. Hadn't occurred to me til you mentioned that combo, web!

It's good to see that white doesn't get overpowering with her whole top half done in it. I was a bit worried, so cheers brugly.

It's still technically the weekend as I've not got to bed yet, so this update isn't late. Honest.

Moving on, here's the progress on Miss Treated (it's pretty much what she has been). Still got more chains to do, and her forearm that links to the coffin, but getting there. Oh, she also needs more hair, since I'm planning to have her treading on her hat:

missTarms_zps7f55268a.jpg

And one side of the group base, which has had a lot of the work done on it. Still a bit more to do, I need a second section of fence and a lot more cobbles. Then I can deal with the other side:

basewalls_zps96a5519c.jpg

And of course, progress on Lady J. The white on her top and gloves is still only up to the midtone but her head is basically sorted. Might add a little blood soaking into the blindfold where I've done the edge of a cut over her left eye, but weathering, staining and such comes later.

LJwhitemids_zps8ae5d9dd.jpg

Also, my second project for gencon, the bunny bot. Which probably won't make much appearance on here (because it's ifinity, and because dead justice are the first priority. They weren't, but now I've got going I'm enjoying it too much and looking forward to making them all battered and undead...)

bunnybot_zpsf786db40.jpg

Heh, yup. Didn't you know? She's the four armed bot of girly violence. Even has high heels, for some surreal reason that escapes me...

Quite big too, now I've got most of her assembled. That disc at the bottom is Miss T's base. Not a patch on webmonkey's girl, but big for me!

And thanks too by the way. I'm pleased with lady J, spent a while today painting the inside of her mouth, she has a tongue and teeth as well as lips now.