washes: how do they work?

dagovan

Disaster! I had my Ortegas all painted quite nice for a beginner. Then I went to apply a wash of delvan mud, and now they look like the paint was too thin and the black basecoat is showing. It’s to the point that I think I need to strip the paint and start over.

Now washes are new to me, and I spread the wash all over the model. Is there some method to washes that I don’t know, or should I just give up on washes next time?

BTW I can’t post pics right now because I’m on vacation and I didn’t bring my camera.

Did the paint fully dry before the wash went on? Also, how much wash did you apply?

Devlan mud usually works really well with flesh and earth tones. It is pretty forgiving. Without using an actual "wash" product, many people just water down paint and use that as a wash sometimes too. It is a good method for getting color into textures - it's up there with dry brushing for how useful it is...

it is not the black base coat that you are seeing. it is the delvan mud and where it was applied thick. one thing that you can do is start using the same colors you used to paint the model and using those as layers and highlights to bring back those colors....especially in the raised areas. it will look fine once you start using those colors to bring things back. also give the delvan mud some time to dry out.....it sounds like you really went thick with it. Which is okay but now you know for the future of how to apply it. Good luck!

A tip is to not apply too much wash in one go. Be a bit restrictive and if you feel you need more, paint some where you think it should be thicker once the first layer has dried. Once you get the hang of it wash will be your best friend. Makes everything look good. :)

Like Slinkdawg, my first thought was also that your paint wasn't completely dry. This is especially likely if you use thick coats of paint, since it can appear dry on the surface and be wet underneath.

Been there , Done that... Learned.

A day is a bit excessive, but waiting a while is important. If adding a second coat of ink .. VERY important to let the first completely dry first, check the deepest groove you can find and look for wet spots, if you touch it with a brush you soak it up and have a weird white spot in the spot that is supposed to be the darkest. If inking over paint thin coats are important, But try Heavy coats over white primer. the effect is pretty good on models with nice texture.

To me it's either the paint underneath had not dried properly of the wash was applied to heavily, both will result in pretty much the same thing. If using any acrylic, always allow at least 1 hour for the coat to dry before you consider a wash (most GW paints will dry faster, but not all of them), then when you do apply the wash, do a thin coverage, then repeat a few hours later to gradually build up the shade.

The only models I never actually put those rules to are Orks, but they don't have to look tidy and in fact look better if there's a bit of a mess ;)