Riding into the Breach... A guide to starting Malifaux

Acefisher1

I actually posted this as a response to someone asking for help on how to learn the game in a month before moving to college.

This is a few things I picked up when I started playing, and things I really wish I had known when I started. Feel free to add to what I’ve said, and correct me where I’m wrong. I hope this helps a few people out at least!

I can tell you that it will be more than helpful to go over the downloadables here. Read all the stat cards a few times. You don't need to memorize them all, but it helps to have seen the abilities that are common and that you can expect to see in games. Try to pick out some of them and note that you need to cross-reference the effect a certain rule has ie: "What does poison do?". Those are the things that I really found I needed to know when playing my first games as they weren't necessarily written on the cards in every case and I would have to ask or open my rules book (don't be afraid to do this!). That being said, it's a little bit irritating now to see someone searching through the original rules book. Grab the new-compact version. Buy 2 copies, keep one in your car and read it whenever you have downtime instead of playing a cell-phone game.

Also, be sure to go on your local store’s forum if they have one, introduce yourself, let them know that you’d like to start playing there, and I’m sure you’ll be welcomed into the group, if not forced into the store by gamers anxious to have new models to fight against!

A List of Recommended Items to Purchase to Begin Malifaux:

· Two Decks of Malifaux Cards, One Puppet, one normal colored deck of your choice

· At least 2 Box Sets of the same Faction (ie: Arcanists: Rasputina and Marcus)

· The Totems for each of the masters you purchased. (ie: Essence of Power and Jackalope)

Thanks to Sephiroa for this description of Totems:

a totem is a small minion connected to a master, every master has a specific totem for him/her

rasputina = wendigo

justice = scales of justice

mcmourning = zombie chihuahua

etc...

In addition to Master Specific Totems, there are also faction totems:

arcanists = essence of power

ressers = grave spirit

etc...

if the master dies, so does the totem

· Glass Beads to use as Soulstones (really helps with the feel of the game, and there is no question about what they are on the table for)

· The Rules Manual (compact version)

Some Nice Things to Have if You Can Afford Them:

· A Carrying Case of some sort. I use a Pack-Mini from BattleFoam. It holds 2 full crews plus some extra models for variance, my cards, and beads no problem.

· A second copy of the rules manual to keep in your car or backpack all the time.

· I recommend buying the 2 core rulebooks, however it isn’t essential, but if you can afford it, these are great things to have for so many reasons.

Here are a few things I would really recommend doing out of the gate to make learning the actual game easier:

· Keep a copy of the short rules with you at every game.

· Study your own cards to the point where you have them memorized completely.

· Have your cards laminated – removes the need for HP counters

· Have some form of carrying bag or tray – don’t want to stress over transporting stuff

· Keep laminated copies of the common talents download with you for quick reference

· Keep 2 decks of malifaux cards with you and be acquainted with the artwork so you aren’t distracted by the gorgeous artwork on them. And be sure you can identify what card is what. I struggled with the puppet cards for a bit, they aren’t too clear what they are at first glance.

· If the models aren’t standing up really sturdy, add weights (coins) to the underside of the bases to avoid models falling over on terrain and possibly snapping staves or arms off during the game.

· Following the last point, keep a small tube of model glue with you that you’ve used before and are familiar with for field repairs

·Be sure to go into a game with an open mind and humble attitude. You will encounter rules you do not know, and see abilities that seem OP and wreck your face. That said, most people are generally nice and helpful if you’re willing to accept their help and not be argumentative.

· With the above being said, do not be afraid to question a rule or ability. Ask to see your opponents’ cards if you aren’t sure, or even just are curious of their abilities before the game starts, or even mid-game. It’s totally acceptable. Refer to your rules book as you need. Don’t be embarrassed, none of us have every rule memorized (excluding some OCD players I’m sure). Players won’t fault you for being sure you’re playing by the rules.

· Shuffle your cards very, very well, and always offer your opponent the chance to cut your deck every shuffle. Cut theirs every time. This removes any question of counting or cheating in any fashion with the cards.

· Keep obvious markers for special abilities. It’s paramount to know what status effects are out, what counters are on the table, etc.… If you play a Ressurectionist, you probably want to keep a few corpse counters. That sort of thing.

Edited by Acefisher1

Nice guide, one newbie question, what are totems? I take it not every crew needs them?

a totem is a small minion connected to a master, every master has a specific totem for him/her

rasputina = wendigo

justice = scales of justice

mcmourning = zombie chihuahua

but there are totems for a faction

arcanists = essence of power

ressers = grave spirit

if the master dies, so does the totem :)

Still reading the rulebook,so apologies if this is a stupid question, but why do I need the puppet deck as well as a fate deck?

It's not necessary as far as rules go. I know some players do it that way so they can identify all the cards from any deck someone may use during a game. Really though, in the end, you don't NEED a puppet deck.

Hi Guys, thank you for the feedback thus far. I'd like to get a little more input on this.

I also have a question. Would it be helpful to you to have things linked from this article to the Wyrd Store, or do you feel like that would detract from the usability and helpfulness of this guide?

Thanks Everyone!