Building A Sonnia crew

dublindawg

Hi All, I am completely new to this game. I have seen the models around the past couple of years on shelves at various stores but it was only until last week that I actually saw a game being played. With the increased cost of GW products, I figured I should try a game that doesn't really need hundreds of dollars invested in models to play. Originally I was going to just buy a model or 2 to paint up and worry about building a crew later. However the more I read the more I want to start playing and need help in building crew with what I have gotten so far. I currently have:

Sonnia

Judge

3x Witchlings

What else should I add to what I have so far?

Thanks!

Criid's box set comes with Sam Hopkins, whom I LOVE... he's fantastic :) Long range is always a good idea... Nino Ortega or Guild Austringers work well. Death Marshals are always a good switch out against Ressers. Santiago and Francisco Ortega work well as a team for getting objectives.

Guild Hounds give you extra SS (1ss/2 dogs). Watchers give you LoS advantages; Guardians are great for protecting your soft squishy folk (or your master). Anything that gives you Hunter or Scout is useful. There are very few Guild models that wouldn't work well together... There is pretty good synergy through the faction. :)

Yeah, when I bought my first model, I wasn't thinking of which crew/faction I would end up going with and just picked up Sonnia. So now it doesn't make too much sense buying the starter box for her as it would mean I would have 2 of her. I will do better planning when I start a 2nd crew.

I like the look of the guild hounds and the Executioner (who can't like a big guy with knifes for hands). I will probably pick these up next once I have the ones I already have painted up. Plus I think the hounds don't come out until July/August. I have some nice cobblestone bases coming in by the end of this week and should have at least the 3 witchlings done by the end of the holiday weekend.

Are there any other good range additions besides Hopkins?

I know I go on about this a lot but...Peacekeeper.

It's expensive (both ways), but I've always been happy to have it on the table whenever I've used it. Tough, fast and mean...what more to want in a rampaging war machine? :D

Oddly enough, I have yet to use any totem with Sonnia.

If you take Hounds, take a lot on them. I did this once, and it worked well.

The totems are a good pick. With the GProx you get a Wp boost for Morale duels, plus a solid offensive spell to use if the enemy gets to close. You also get a good ability if you can trick your foe into offing him.

The Flame is good cause it has a nice ranged attack that brings down it's own wounds. This gives you a cheap way to ding small number of points either on your enemy models or your own models to bring them into Violation of Magic range. The wounds the flame does to itself can bring it into range so you can just warp it into a Witchling. Trading a 2ss totem for a 4ss model is always nice.

A guild Austringer gives a good long range option.

Santiago Ortega is a beast in mid range. Him and Samael can reduce just about any model in the game into a smoking heap.

Watchers...the one real place that Sonnia has trouble with is mobility.Not much slows us down,but we arent that fast in the first place.

Von Schill. for 10 pts,he gives an amazing amount of mobility,another great ranged option. The bad thing is that he likes his soulstones almost as much as sonnia does so it can be hard keeing them going.

Oh...Bit of advice..Allways keep Samael either within 3 inchs of Sonnia,or way out of range. The first time he gets obeyed and blasts Sonnia for 8 damage you will never make the same mistake twice lol.

I LOVE Samael for having 5 damage on a weak as long as you keep pouring gasoline into his colt .45 (Flaming Bullets). However, the problem I currently keep having with him is that he gets singled out and STOMPED as soon as the opponent sees that first shot go off. In fact, that's my problem with Sonnia too - she gets off one fantastic round of fire absolutely everywhere, and then promptly gets obliterated in the wave of people that are still on fire and unhappy. I think a good solid melee character is needed to keep these two safe to keep firing - I have judge, and am experimenting with that, but the executioner seems like a good choice too, although I don't have the model.

I'm going to echo on the guild Austringer, because the model itself looks great, and I love being able to set up shop behind a building and keep a range of threat going for 12 inches around. Its great for setting up a zone of the map and just denying enemies the ability to move about it without feeling threatened, or at least very very nervous about moving around. Good luck!

have to agree with Ryle, he is extremely mobile due to his (0) action. he can even run out of combat with it! Giving him an effective 12" move followed by his 12" gatling gun shot ranged expert.

Run him with Lucius and you can zoom across the board, move lucius twice (10")cast reinforcements on Ryle placing him "within 4" in front of Lucius. Add socially repressed to the equation and Ryle moved 18" and has all three actions to fire with a target within 12"!

Usually my Sonnia crew consists of Stalkers (maybe one Marshal added or in the place of a Stalker), Sam, Nino/Executioner, and possibly the Convict Gunslinger.

You have to realize what Sam is - a glass cannon. If he gets tied up, or you put him in a spot to get charged or engaged, he generally will not last long. He has a pretty low DEF, with no triggers, so you have to be careful to use him in the right spots; if he only gets one activation to do his thing, that can make or break the game right there. He does have Scout and Hunter, which can make him a difficult target if positioned properly.

That said, I run him in every Sonnia list.

@jonas the guardian is a very good model, though personally it does not fit my play style for sonnia. I tend to use her very aggressively casting inferno just about every turn. Sometimes even if nothing is in range solely to either cycle my deck or deter anyone.

@wiz getting the witchunter box set is a very sound investment, since sonnia benefits from having "spare" witchling stalkers just in case she gets off violation of magic. Again from personal experience I haven't really needed sonnia carrying too many ss. I would always rather have an extra/better guy and only taking 1-2 additional soulstones. Depending on your mission you can even drop a strategy for the +2 soulstones

I still need to get a good melee bruiser for my Sonnia crew, something to keep people away from Samael for a little longer. I would get the executioner, but I'm not a huge fan of the model for some reason.

The guild austringer I cannot reccomend enough if you play guild. They are amazing at harassing enemies, and giving you a great 12' radius of threat. Pulling up to an objective behind a wall with one of them is an amazing way to keep the other side wary of jumping in, that, or sometimes they stray too close and you get a few swings in for free. Also, the austringer's "Deliver Orders" can be really good at giving you companion.

Austringers are great models, though their low damage isn't amazing the fact that they have a relatively high CB do not need LOS and ignore cover makes them really great for harassing units. Even if you are only doing 2 damage a turn it is 2 damage the enemy cannot easily retaliate against.

Deliver orders is just icing on the cake giving you the ability to combo a few mini "alpha strikes". In my Lucius list i always take 2... much to the dismay of my opponents.

as far as covering sam, a cheap alternative is either a witchling stalker or a guardsman. I prefer the stalker only because he can dispel magic in case anything happens to sam or anyone for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...