How to base Woes...

Tarragon

OK, so I bought the Legion of Woe starter set (Pandora), an Insidious Madness, and a Doppelganger.

Question is, How do I base them? I like the idea of arcane glyphs on a smooth base, but I'm not sure how to get a smooth plane on to the base without it looking incongruous...

Any ideas?

OK, so I bought the Legion of Woe starter set (Pandora), an Insidious Madness, and a Doppelganger.

Question is, How do I base them? I like the idea of arcane glyphs on a smooth base, but I'm not sure how to get a smooth plane on to the base without it looking incongruous...

Any ideas?

How do you feel like basing them?

There is no right and wrong when it comes to theme bases in Malifaux. There is appropriate size, but that is about it.

Sure, Seamus and his belles may look "thematically" correct on victorian cobblestone streets or in a graveyard, but Pandora is everywhere...

Mine are in a rose garden, as my Pandora crew are painted in an Alice in Wonderland theme.

However, arcane glyphs would be awesome. You can buy pre-cast arcane glyphs from a few suppiers out there.

Awesome... OK, one more question, any idea how to get a perfectly flat, smooth surface on these bases?

Best I can think off is greenstuff, or water-effects and paint over it.

Green stuff or Miliput or some other sort of modeling medium would probably work best. With GS, just mash a ball onto the base, get a smooth ceramic tile or other non-porous, glossy surface, lube it up with water, spit, KY, whatever you prefer to use, and "burnish" the bash on it. That is how I would start the cobblestone bases I did for my ressers. It gives a nice smooth surface to work from.

You could also try plasticard, cutting out appropriate sized circles and placing them on the base.

Hi Tarragon,

For my crew I went with a mixture of flat & rough textures, as I really dig the contrast. But for some of the flat textures I used sheet styrene, which you can either buy with a prefab texture in it (like tiles or shingles) or get a plain piece and carve into it.

Here's some pics of my crew if you want to see what I mean:

img0005wf.jpg

pandoracrewlow.jpg

Also, I definitely second Avatarform in that Pandora is very flexible thematically. There really isn't anything that's wrong for her.

Good luck with your crew.

Extro

I'm going for a sort of smooth floor with ancient symbols on them.

My idea so far is an absolute smooth floor, use a blade to score lines in the GS, and get some sort of magical symbols models and glue them to the base. Then paint nicely.

One last question, where can I get arcane sigils or similar to put on bases?