Considering Rasputina

Flash

Hi guys and girls

I really like Rasputina and the cult of December crew.

I was watching a match up between lilith and lucius, I am new to the game, so I don't know what the schemes/missions were. I noticed that the lilith crew moved across the board with ease and speed and was in lucius's face in no time at all.

With this in mind, I am now seriously considering getting Rasputina due to her frailties. Is it likely that Rasputina could be k.o'd before you get your first turn? Or even by your opponents 2nd turn?

If anyone could help, that would be appreciated.

Flash

It is actually not impossible for an opponent to be on you turn one. Many crews center threaten you turn one, it is all about knowing those crews and deploying right for them. Also generally speaking if they do that they will be overspending themselves.

This doesn't make Raspy unusable. She is a strong master its just important to not over extend her.

• 2 weeks later...

My choice is the Wendigo mainly as i choose to use him as a mobile Ice Pillar generator. And he works as a nifty bonus against some of the Res masters because he can collect Corpse Counters, making it so that there may be fewer models being resurrected.

The Essence of Power make her blasts more powerful but he has to stay attached at the hip, which makes useful deployment of ice pillars somewhat weak and forcing Rasputina herself to cast so that she can use Ice Mirrors to get better placement.

You should never run her without Essence unless its for fluff reasons. The Wendigo (and indeed few totems in the game) compare to Essence on a casting master. Plus to damage flips generally means you'll be able to cheat (or not need to) and you really want to see those severes for blast markers.

well i destroyed seamus the other day with my 22" inch casting range thanks to silent one, bite of winter for +1dg, essence of power for my :+fate and cheat and burn soulstones to get the other :+fate, i get to cheat my red joker from my hand, and i triggered overpower for the final strike.

and this in turn one and i had 2 more action points to spend,

rasputina can be a beast when casting, and a silent one as well if you cheat a 13 (or flip one) she can be a painful caster herself because not much creatures can resist a 19 on df

but she is VERY slow (snow storm adds some speed) and VERY fragile when in close combat (turn 3 she got killed by a mature nephilim (we were playing 1vs1vs1) )

so you need to know how to play with her, she can be dangerous when she is casting, but when a master or strong creature can attack her in melee, your dead

Wendigo opinion: if you are building a force with few Frozen hearts, then conciser him. otherwise essence usually wins out. I do kinda like the Student of conflict but its situational.

As for raspy in general, I find she usually make 1 or 2 things go POP... but then crumbles. but I admin my last few times playing her she had Jack Daw go into b2b contact which basically makes her useless. Silent one is good, but the perfect mirror makes her too tempting to put up front, but shes fragile, I've got to learn to keep her back for the extra range. as for the rest of her crew, I think she'll be stronger when the MSU crew arrives. Shee needs more mobile minions.

As for raspy in general, I find she usually make 1 or 2 things go POP... but then crumbles.

I usually don't have trouble keeping her alive. When I play her I always have a few ice gamin or molemen close to her, preventing anyone from getting close enough to attack her in melee (mostly anyone, Range 3 melee is still a problem) and it also provides cover from ranged attacks (though I don't go up against many ranged crews.

I think Raspy's survival is really hard to predict. In my area there are really no Arcanists. There are like 3 or four Neverborn Players all playing the Dreamer and Pandora, a couple new Ressers, A few guild, and thats it. But from theory I'd imagine if you play her right Raspy is going to survive fairly well if you make her survival a priority.

The issue you will deal with I think is that she is the main dmg dealer in her crew, and she is so good at what she does that she has a giant priority target flashing above her head the whole game.

Sorry when I say crumbles I should saw engaged, once engaged by fast models some of her spells can't be done. also as stated above Jack Daw destroys her. for some reason every time I play her he pops up and her crew just can't deal with him. Once in B2B raspy can't do anything to get away. last game I ended the game with 2x13, 12, 11 and 4 soulstones left which I could not use.

One of my regular opponents plays Rasputina, and indeed I think I've played most of my Malifaux games against her and can say that she is by no means a weak master - I would even go so far to say that she is rather a strong than a weak master.

Her biggest weakness is her low speed, but with Ice Mirror she can get around that somewhat. She has some very good abilities like Freeze Over (somewhat conditional, but priceless at the right moment), Ice Pillars (board control), December's Curse (ranged damage), White Out (shooting/charging protection) and Biting Chill (when something gets to near) that provide you with a plethora of options to deal with almost any threat. Add to that one extra hand card and triggers like Surge (card recycling) and Overpower (even more damage!), and you can put some serious pressure on you opponent.

She is the most straightforward of the Arcanists, but that doesn't mean she should just be going forward and shooting everything in sight, especially against fast crews like Lilith, Kirai or the Dreamer. Watch you objectives and watch you opponent, and you should be able to avoid getting her killed. I can tell you from experience, nobody wants to stand open in Raspy's LoS for even one round, so they will be planning their assassination run very carefully...

As for the totems, as an opponent I've learned to fear the Essence of Power much more than the Wendigo. Her damage output can be quite insane, especially with the positive twist.

• 1 month later...