Most Important Malifaux Skills

Hansel

I like to think picking Schemes and working them into whatever Strategy you're given is a good skill. However, this probably comes from playing a crew like Colette, whose style is geared toward zipping around the board getting objectives done before her ladies get horribly massacred by the opponent.

But there has been at least one time playing an entirely different crew (Ramos) in which Jonas Albrecht wiped out my entire force turn 6 and I still won-- due to getting the victory points squared away sometime in turn 4. One little Steampunk Arachnid was all that was left to tell the glorious tale.

But yes, Schemes. See to them.

All of those things.

Knowing what your crew can do is good, same with knowing their's...being able to do "Malifaux math" is pretty good too.

Being able to stand up and see the whole board and where your opponent is likely to move, where he will attack.

Picking the right schemes for the crew and the one you face is undoubtedly important because that's what gets you your precious VP.

One of the other greater skills I have found is knowing when to play a high card.

Sure you can always cheat a high card and try to get better than :-fate on damage somewhere, but do you always need to do that...

Situations like that.

A problem I have seen people on this forum have a lot is assuming things.

When they get hot headed and their egos flare they tend to say things like "Well I will just run up and do this, this, and this to your master..."

Something to that effect, they tend to say that not thinking that you will defend that advance.

I guess what I mean is, don't assume that certain things are guarantee'd...Wyrd gave us the Black Joker for a reason.

Judging distances on the board. Having a plan to finish your schemes. Being flexible enough to change that plan if neccessary. And of course,possibly the most important of all,knowing when its time to grab your stones and take a page from the warmachine rulebook,and play like you got a pair *grins* And by that I mean know when taking a risk in a game is the right decision,and never backing down or quitting midgame. It isnt allways feasible but its certainly worth trying,because even a losing game will teach you things. Unless your mostly wiped out and your facing a full pandora list,in which case its just better to deepthroat your gunbarrel and call it an evening.

I'd agree with being able to accurately guestimate distances. So many times have games been won or lost from one slip up in movement putting you millimetres out of range.

Also gritting your teeth through whatever is going wrong. When your master is made to flee off the board by pandora for the second game in succession with nothing you can do about. That's when you really have to try and play on and focus on your objectives.

Allocating the appropriate resources at the appropriate time. be they soul stones, cards, models, or AP.

Vague, I know. But there are a lot of different situations to consider.

I agree with this without a doubt.

When to use those precious resources like Cards and Soulstones is probably the most important skill to develop. It then expands out as to when to use Models and when to use specific AP etc.

Everything is important of course, but this really lets you master the game.

Maniacal laughter, dastardly duke beard & moustache production, and a deep and gravely voice will help you to overcome any adversity encountered.

Also the use of swimwear.

Although I hear Jon Kyl SCUBA dives with nothing more than a conch shell and orphan baby whale whiskers.

#NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement

10 years of military experience plus 20 or so years of gaming experience seems to work for me.

And for my real answer:

Remember the (yours and your opponents) schemes and strategies, and complete them. "Play to your strategy" is the key to winning, although it can be really counter-intuitive at times. Running Nekima away from combat because your opponent will get "Kill Protoge" when she dies, that sort of thing. (as an aside, every game I have fielded Nekima my opponent has chosen kill protoge, which puts quite a bit of cuddle onto a 13 point model)

As far as actually playing the game goes, basic military strategy goes a long way. Know your strengths and weaknesses very well, and your enemies better. Play to your strengths, minimize your weaknesses.

Try to engage enemies with a numerical advantage wherever possible. (if your opponent has 8 models and you only have four, but you can gang 3 or 4 of yours on one of theirs, then you will quickly end their numerical advantage.)

Knowing card math is helpful at times.

Personally, I think keeping the black joker in my hand is one of the best tactics to this game. It gets rid of uncertainty in a carefully laid plan.

Don't let Hans fool you guys. He is still learning but he is picking up Malifaux quickly. :)

Right now Hans I think you should focus on learning your crews weakness and limitations. The mistakes I see you make sometimes is you over extend some of your best models that don't have great defensive capabilities (Sonnia is an example.).

Learning your model's limitations now will help you make those decision on when throw in that high SS model to make an attack.

When I see you next I will let you know some of the things I saw that could be changed. But until then look over your models and see where their weaknesses are. Be it defense, melee, damage output, ect.

Your doing great Hans, you will get there soon.

The most helpful "skill" for me is to develop a good "AAR" for every game.

AAR stands for After Action Review. After playing a game, good or bad, analyze the game. If I lost was it because a good plan was spoiled by bad luck, or because I forgot the Vics blender abillity and placed my models too close together?

If I won was it because I just had awesome cards, or was it because I placed my models well and played to thier advantages.

If I anhiliated the enemy and lost the VP game was it because I forgot my schemes and strategies while I was focused on killing the enemy?

What did I do well? What did I do poorly? What did my opponent do well? What did my opponent do poorly? What could I have done instead of X to get a different outcome?

Did I lose because I took a calculated gamble and it failed? Or was it because I didn't fully appreciate the risks the gamble involved?

The basic AAR format is as follows: What was supposed to happen? What actually happened? What went well? What can I improve?

I agree with Lalo as well.

Resource management is what really makes certain players shine in this game, and is what most people need to master in order to really do well. Oddly, it's a trait I see to be stronger in boardgamers that pick this up than in wargamers.

You DO have to do the other stuff: Know your distances, know your strategies and schemes, know the game, know the models, and be able to stay unemotional in order to make rational decisions.

That last part is often what trips me up :( I think a lot of people are MUCH better at it than I.

Allocating the appropriate resources at the appropriate time. be they soul stones, cards, models, or AP.

Vague, I know. But there are a lot of different situations to consider.

Yep, but I would go further and say that learning to spend Action Points wisely, and learning to force your opponent to waste theirs is the crux of the game.

One useful sub-skill - baiting your opponent into wasting his control hand on throw-away attacks, and bluffing him into saving them for something you won't do.

Bluffing is a skill that is uniquely powerful in Malifaux compared to other mini games. I agree a very good skill to improve on, myself included.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer
stupid auto correct phone

IMO, the number one rule I tell new players to follow is Know Your Crew!! Know what you can do and when you can do it. Damn near memorize your stat cards, and read up on tactica's, discussions, etc (the Wyrd community is one of the most helpful and supportive gaming groups out there).

Second would probably be know your opponent's crew. This one is much much more difficult. If you simply know your own crew, it gives you the advantage of being able to adapt to things thrown at you, but if you have no idea what your opponent is capable of, you'll spend the whole game "adapting" defensively, on the back foot, and less time focusing on your objectives. The reason this is such a difficult step is that, unlike other games where there are factions/armies that all have a couple "competitive lists" you have to know what every master from every faction is capable of (and most are unique). For example, you can't say things like "well guild shoots and Resers are Melee," like you can in other games where categorization is more simple. Not that everyone is going to be able to memorize every model and theory-faux their way to victory, you still need experience, but it helps to read up on opponents you may be unfamiliar with. Hell, I read any tactica I come across so I can know what their tricks are, but also I can use the information to help new players at my LGC who may be getting into that crew.

Third...hmm a couple close ones here. I'll say it's a tie between Resource Management (i.e. control cards / SS) and Schemes.

-RM is crucial because if you burn too many cards/stones to early, you will find yourself getting crushed later. It's common for new players to cheat Everything so they never take hits....early on. It doesn't take long for them to figure out this isn't a good idea, but it's something that comes with the learning experience.

-Schemes are big, and can mean the difference between a tie/loss and a victory. However, some schemes (just like their higher VP cousins, Strategies) suit certain crews more than others, and knowing which scheme to take with which strategy, based on your crew and your opponent's crew, takes some time to get down. Also (and this ties in with resource management) you have to strategise on how to complete your schemes and strategies at the right time, while denying your opponent theirs. Timing is important. If you wait too long, or go for certain objectives too soon, your opponent can capitalize on that.

So i guess that's like my top 3(.5?) things that I feel are crucial skills.

Edit: Added RM and Schemes.

Edited by Necromorph

Dont centralize your strategies around one model, and remember that most of what you bring is going to be expendable. But sell them dearly. The other day I had an Ice Gamin charge at a Peacekeeper and use its def. trigger to effectively take the peacekeeper out of the game for two turns. Later that day I relied a little too heavily on my Sabertooth Cerberus and ended up having to fight my way to a tie when it died.

resources definitely

one that hasn't been said, and is kind of a resource, is activation order. know when you need to go with what model, when you need to sacrifice a model (resource) for the greater good, and what model your opponent is liking to go with next. also try to avoid situations where if you lose initiative you lose the game. this can be tough because those times are often in the thick of things when you can't avoid it, but planning ahead to next turn can go along ways to avoid getting :nutkick:

For me is board control. Knowing where and your opponent need to go and affect that movement. Know whether your opponent likes to deny vp or go for vp. This really helps control my movements and activation.

For example Murphy goes for strategy and schemes I play to deny him, allocating most of my resources to do so. Cat plays to deny me so allocate most of my resource to complete mine.

For me is board control. Knowing where and your opponent need to go and affect that movement. Know whether your opponent likes to deny vp or go for vp. This really helps control my movements and activation.

For example Murphy goes for strategy and schemes I play to deny him, allocating most of my resources to do so. Cat plays to deny me so allocate most of my resource to complete mine.

Am I that transp..... hmmm:hmmmm:..... Time to rethink some list here.

Its not that I play to deny you specifically,you just allways take schemes that end up involving biting huge bloody chunks out of everything I hold dear.

Or maybe because I spent too long playing outcasts and doing Thwart that it just sunk in lol *shrugs*

But more then likely its because the tournaments are done on a vp basis,and you keep getting max points from everyone,so I have to do what I can to give other people a chance to win lol *grins*

Edited by Dark Alleycat