To Gremlin Or Not To Gremlin

Gareth1

I was hoping for some advice, I have already posted on the introduction forum as I am looking to start playing Malifaux and I have been advised that the Guild are good starters for a new player.

However, I am really like the look of the Outcasts especially the Gremlins. What I really wanted to know is are they ok to start with or should you get more experience with another crew before playing with them?

I don't know of any other players in my local area so I have no one to ask the above.

Thanks in advance

The Outcasts have such a broad range of crews, that it is very hard to generalise about them as a group. The Viktorias are quite straight forward and are easy to pick up whereas someone like Leveticus is very complicated and probably not ideal for a newcomer.

I don't play Gremlins (yet), but from what I understand Ophelia is not a bad choice for a starter, but Som'er is a lot harder to get working well.

On another note, whereabouts in Essex are you ? I am based near Stansted (but do most of my gaming in Cambridge), and I know of another group of players in Chelmsford.

From my own experience, I would recommend starting with the LaCroix over Somer. Having your gang misfire all the time and shoot themselves is soul killing for a beginner. Plus, Somer has a lot of complex tricks with his pifs.

The LaCroix on the other hand are a simple shooting gangs. I would recommend getting at least a pack of Gremlins to go with the box.

I am around Cambridge most days. If you wanted to come into Inner Sanctum I could go through different crews with you and even give you a demo.

Orphelia is probably a fairly decent starting crew as long as your opponent doesn't have a bad matchup, do you know which crews your regular opponent is going to collect?

I'm in Rayleigh, just down the road from Chelmsford. Do you know whereabouts, I would really like to speak to people who have had experience playing as it can be quite confusing for me what with all the cards, stats and all.

The club is here :

http://www.bunkerassault.co.uk/

One of the members of the club, Canada Steve, occasionally posts on here. I haven't seen him around for a while, but it could be worth tracking him down and sending him a PM.

Thank you all for your helpful replies, I dont know anyone else who plays the game however I am looking to find some opponents to help me learn by beating me senseless.

I think I will buy the minis and bits suggested by Murphys Lawyer and get them painted up possibly with another crew and try to get the wife to play me... Should be fun!

Some'r isn't as difficult as a lot of people post (especially when compared to masters like Leveticus, Hamelin, the Dreamer, etc).

As had been said though Ophelia is easier to pickup right out of the box, but Some'r has a lot more options in play style (and the ability to transition between them in game). I definately enjoy playing him more then any other Master save perhaps Seamus. If you do end up going with Some'r then I highly recommend taking a look at the various tactics threads that are posted in this section.

I'd suggest you pick up a blister of Slop Haulers as well. They do a world of difference when it comes to effectiveness of your LaCroix's. If you drag a Slop Hauler along with your main group you basically get free Reckless actions to 4 other gremlins since the minimum healing you'll get is 1 wound (unless pulling the black joker). My best buy by far after the Ophelia box set.

I was hoping for some advice, I have already posted on the introduction forum as I am looking to start playing Malifaux and I have been advised that the Guild are good starters for a new player.

However, I am really like the look of the Outcasts especially the Gremlins. What I really wanted to know is are they ok to start with or should you get more experience with another crew before playing with them?

I don't know of any other players in my local area so I have no one to ask the above.

Thanks in advance

I think Som'er and Ophelia are both fine for starters. In fact I'd argue that Som'er might be easier as a starter because you have fewer abilities per model to try and remember. Though Ophelia has more oomph right out of the box and doesn't require as much finesse play to be successful as Som'er.

The downside of starting Som'er first is that to be effective you're gonna need a lot of models eventually of varying types. This is both good and bad because it gives you a lot of options in building a crew and in-game in terms of summoning. However, it's an expensive first investment into the game. Ophelia is overall probably the cheaper initial buy-in because you just need her box and maybe 2 blisters (a pack of Bayou Gremlins and some Slop Haulers) to get yourself going.

My advice to anyone initially starting though is to play whatever looks most fun to you. Don't worry about anything else, because REGARDLESS of who you start off with learning the rules will be bumpy until you get a few games under you belt. At which point, you might as well learn the rules for whatever crew you eventually want to excel with first.

My advice to anyone initially starting though is to play whatever looks most fun to you. Don't worry about anything else, because REGARDLESS of who you start off with learning the rules will be bumpy until you get a few games under you belt. At which point, you might as well learn the rules for whatever crew you eventually want to excel with first.

Great advice this is what I tell all of my demo'ers and new players.

Was my exact method for getting into the game. Unfortunately for me I chose Levi...and ugh, what a learning curve, haha. Got it down now though and love him, but he's also an expensive first crew among others (Kirai also...that's the only reason I don't play her haha).

Was my exact method for getting into the game. Unfortunately for me I chose Levi...and ugh, what a learning curve, haha. Got it down now though and love him, but he's also an expensive first crew among others (Kirai also...that's the only reason I don't play her haha).

Any summoning master is gonna be a more expensive initial investment than others, because you need to have models-on-hand to take advantage of their flexibility (wherein lies a good chunk of their power).

One reason why the Guild masters are typically suggested to newer players. Lower buy-in costs because A.) their characters are typically higher in cost overall and B.) they aren't summoning Masters so you need fewer overall models.

Ophelia is a pretty cheap buy-in if you wanna run Gremlins though. Starter Box + Blister of Bayou Gremlins + Blister of Slop Haulers and you're more than good to go.

As I've been hemorrhaging money lately and would like to keep my spending spread out....and the fact that I'll only be playing a 25ss game against Hoffman Thursday, would I be good with the Ophelia Starter and a pack of Slop Haulers and get some Bayou Gremlins later? Just take her starter and a Slop Hauler for 26ss with a 5ss pool? Seeing as though she's a henchman with 6 extra pts to spend (basically) her box is a bit low on pts initially, lol.

As I've been hemorrhaging money lately and would like to keep my spending spread out....and the fact that I'll only be playing a 25ss game against Hoffman Thursday, would I be good with the Ophelia Starter and a pack of Slop Haulers and get some Bayou Gremlins later? Just take her starter and a Slop Hauler for 26ss with a 5ss pool? Seeing as though she's a henchman with 6 extra pts to spend (basically) her box is a bit low on pts initially, lol.

That's a pretty good starting point, I'd probably recommend getting the Haulers first. You can take advantage of the Slop Haulers' healing with all the Reckless going around in her crew, not to mention incoming damage from the opposing side.

The Bayou Gremlins are more of cheap filler than anything overly essential. Though it's nice to have "throw away" models, which you'll be lacking, but it should be fine.