Creepy Fog vs Master of Malifaux

Csonti

Question

24 answers to this question

Wow.. the number of times my stitched have got killed by Hunters sniping them.

I guess they still get to ignore the cover part of it if they are within 3" of a Stitched?

Hunter This model ignores cover and increases its LoS through obscuring terrain to 6”.

I have to say that this ruling is very odd. It is completely counter intuitive.

This is part of my general view on Malifaux rules. Why make rules that are more complicated than necessary? A hundred special rules do not make a better game, they make a more confusing game. I'm not going to cause a fuss over this but I think its fair to make a comment on the direction of both the existing rules and the direction this game is heading. There is a lot to be said for some simplicity, especially within an already complex system.

I have to say that this ruling is very odd. It is completely counter intuitive.

This is part of my general view on Malifaux rules. Why make rules that are more complicated than necessary? A hundred special rules do not make a better game, they make a more confusing game. I'm not going to cause a fuss over this but I think its fair to make a comment on the direction of both the existing rules and the direction this game is heading. There is a lot to be said for some simplicity, especially within an already complex system.

I'm certainly plenty critical of the rules and have been in the past, but this ruling seems pretty straightforward. What they create is not an actual terrain piece, so it doesn't count as terrain. Pretty simple.

I know this is a old post so sorry for rehashing it but please enlighten me (moderators only please) why stitched together don't cost damn near 10 points a piece?

After this ruling their is maybe only one model in the game that can actually target them (austringers) due to flat out ignoring cover.

I mean seriously take a look at this from this perspective most crews simply cannot get to them and they just put up a big impenetrable shield for your entire crew to just mosey on up and then slaughter whoever they are playing on top of pretty darn good ability damage the gamble your life ability. Aside from the fact that every neverborne crew from a competitve standpoint would be a fool not to take at least two.

Or is it just that from a design standpoint they are the "space marines" of this game. I mean really name me one master from the neverborne that is even just average in their entire faction (and don't even try to say zoraida is average or bad you just have to understand she isn't a semi truck compared to lilith or dreamer in the damage department and play her accordingly), and actually takes more than an elementary school level of intelligence to be played well.

I don't mean to be harsh so I apologise if this post comes off this way, and I understand by defination of the faction in the book they are deceptive, sly, and tactic inspired but in all reality this is just blatantly OP by taking just 2 models that are like 6 stones a piece you always get the initiative to hit opposing crews first because of this.

Odin, you didn't take into account the fact, that Creepy Fog expires at the end of the turn. So if you pack your high class minions and/or master behind it and lose the next initiative then... you are in trouble. Especially against crews with multiple Companion options. This is a huge gamble which is very fluffy with a Stitched but it's hardly a game breaker tactic.

Also there are many possibilities to deal with this. Hans is just one. Young and Mature Nephilims don't need LoS to make a Diving Attack. (You can even save your Mature after killing the Stitched with Lilith's Transposition or Lilithu's Lure or Zoraida's Obey.) All horsemen can make ride-by attacks against it. The same is true for the Coryphees or the Ronin. These are examples just by hart. I'm sure there are many more options.

Also, if you have a terrain piece on the board with Ht4, if you climb/fly/teleport on the roof with a Ht2 model, you do have LoS on anyone behind the fog.

I don't want to say the Stitched is a bad model, not at all. What I want to say that they are not unbeatable and they are not more underpriced than a few other models in the game. (Rotten Belle for 4 SS? Yes, please! Grave Spirit for 1 who can cast Molly's instant killing spell with SS use? Hmm...)

Then after everything everyone else said... you can always just Walk up and stab them =) Creepy Fog doesn't prevent you from walking into it.

But everyone above is 100% right, there is a lot more to it then just the surface level. Malifaux is complex and diverse and for every seemingly powerful effect, there are at least 2 more that can directly counter it and a number of ways to work around it.