What do you think that is a "thematic" crew for Zoraida?

Owen Ojo De Lobo

Hi guys!

Mrs Zoraida will be my next purchase. Nobody at my LGS is playing her, and a lot of people plays with my other crews, so... I want something original.

The past days I was reading the neverborn forum, looking for post about the old lady... I find very interesting all of them.

But... now that I know what minions can go with the witch, and what can do... I find myself don't knowing which could fit better in a bayou themed army.

My first idea was to start with the box, the totem and a blister of waldgeist. With this, I think that I have all the bayou minions available for her... (I have also the Somm'er crew, so I have gremlims and pigs also :D ).

But... there is something more outside? :P My feeling about waldgeist, after reading you, is that they are not so good for a zoraida crew. And also that silurids are possible not the best option for her... And I don't want to start an army with Papa Loco, 3 gamins and a nurse 'cause is a good combo... I'm in this game for the themed crew (and stay for a very original playsystem... but this is another history).

So, in brief. Which minions fit with Zoraida in a thematic manner? They need another minions that doen't fit to work properly?

I think that Zoraida playstyle is about control. Control about your cards and also the oponent's cards. A bayou themed crew can play in this way? i read to someone here (rath, I think) that with Zoraida you can play the minions that you want, that she is good with almost everybody...

So, as you can read, I'm plenty of doubts. I want to play a bayou crew (i was thinking in Zoraida, Bad Juju, and gremlims), 'cause seems to me that waldgeist and silurids depends so much of terrain, and this is something that I can control...

Help!! :gurney:

Hello!

Looks like if you want to bayou theme Big Z, you picked to (only) options out there: box set and gremlins. However as you mentioned, Z is about controlling peeps and I like fielding mercenaries with her, just because she does that: goes out in town and get humans to follow her in the bayou :). So for me it's often 2 mercs in my list, and I particualrly favour Taelor, Bishop, Hans and at times Hamelin. I know players like the Gunslinger too. Juju is a tad hard to achieve with although with his Hard to Wound now increased to 2 it might be a bit better, but mainly because of his Immune to Influence I feel it's only moderately adequate for Z. Because her main thing is to Obey around, I try to have the max option including my own models. Silurids are sweet I field them usually by 2 of them. My current trend is now 2 mercs + Kade and Candy, "innocence" with manipulated humans, an "all sweet" theme :D

For purely thematic purposes I like the swamp / bayou theme of Big Z, Bad Juju, Siluirds and Waldgeist and maybe a few gremlins thrown in for fun, but like you say the effectiveness of this list does depend on terrain.

If you research Baba Yaga, the legend which Big Z is based on, it does throw up a couple of other options. The Baba Yaga is renowned for kidnapping (and in some cases eating) small children.... so maybe you could go for Candy and Kade and if you are feeling brave, The Malifaux Child ! Her legend also mentions a rider who changes to represent different phases of the day.... does that sounds familiar ?

I am not sure how effective either of those options are, but they are certainly thematic !!

Mrs Zoraida will be my next purchase. Nobody at my LGS is playing her, and a lot of people plays with my other crews, so... I want something original.

Good move. Zoraida is the Shiznit! :D

Which minions fit with Zoraida in a thematic manner? They need another minions that doen't fit to work properly?

The way I see it, Zoraida can definitely fit into a few themes;

1. Bayou: Pretty much what you get in the starter box - an assortment of swamp monsters that tends to play a very hit & run style of game. Waldgeists fit very well and being Bayou natives, a few gremlins would also fit into the theme. In fact some of the LaCroix Minions are great additions to a Zoraida crew.

2. Gremlin: She seems to be pretty good and manipulating the little varmits and as above, they tend to share the same, swampy real estate. :D The main negative is that you'll be paying a premium for a crew full of out of faction gremlins, so they're best used in support of the rest of your crew.

3. Puppets: Wicked Dolls, Stitched Together and possibly Collidi and/or Bad Juju. As it is, it's a decent crews but it should get even better as the range of Doll minions increases in later releases.

I think that Zoraida playstyle is about control. Control about your cards and also the oponent's cards. A bayou themed crew can play in this way?

It probably doesn't matter what kind of of crew your using. So long as Zoraida's at the helm, the crew will have an element of control present to mess with your opponents minions and help improve your own.

The only negative to a pure-Bayou crew is that Zoraida likes having a powerful minion that she can obey. Bad Juju packs a mean punch, but he can't be obeyed thanks to having Immune to Influence. So adding a LaCroix Gremlin (take your pick) gives you a minion you can obey if your opponent isn't cooporating. ;)

i read to someone here (rath, I think) that with Zoraida you can play the minions that you want, that she is good with almost everybody...

Yep, that'd be me. :D Did you get that from my Tactics thread? If not you'll want to read it;

http://www.wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13573

So, as you can read, I'm plenty of doubts. I want to play a bayou crew (i was thinking in Zoraida, Bad Juju, and gremlims), 'cause seems to me that waldgeist and silurids depends so much of terrain, and this is something that I can control...

Silurids don't need water terrain. The extra movement from being in water is completely unecessary - I've found that they're fast enough as is. And if you take them in threes and use them right (ie, hit and Run!), you don't usually see them lose wounds from unstable evolution. Silurids are actually my favorite minions in the game - I've had alot of trouble designing a list without them. :rolleyes:

Waldgeists are better with a forest around, but even one to throw at opposing crews they still make for a very resiliant 6SS melee minion.

Since I was thinking of expanding my neverborn to include Zoraida, this thread is perfectly timed for me!

I have thought about using Nekima with her when she comes out. Scary monster ladies have to go somewhere, right? Plus, Nekima could see Zoraida as her means to usurp her sister.

Since I was thinking of expanding my neverborn to include Zoraida, this thread is perfectly timed for me!

I have thought about using Nekima with her when she comes out. Scary monster ladies have to go somewhere, right? Plus, Nekima could see Zoraida as her means to usurp her sister.

I haven't tried this yet, but you could hex away immune to influence on Bad Juju to make him more Z friendly. Also, Waldgeists are pure awesomeness, and get better if you have trees. I made more than 10 pieces of "tree" terrain specifically because I knew I had waldgeists in the mail.

I haven't tried this yet, but you could hex away immune to influence on Bad Juju to make him more Z friendly.

Have fun trying. Since Juju is Immune to Influence, it means he will always automatically succeed the Rst:Wp Duel required for Hex. Thus there is no way to cast Hex successfully on him unless you find some other way to remove the ability first.

-Ropetus

Have fun trying. Since Juju is Immune to Influence, it means he will always automatically succeed the Rst:Wp Duel required for Hex. Thus there is no way to cast Hex successfully on him unless you find some other way to remove the ability first.

-Ropetus

have a look at Insidious Madness ;)

have a look at Insidious Madness ;)

Ha! Someone else found it =) I was hoping I wasn't the only one who realized this.

Madness gives us the tools required to make things like Juju a much better choice for Zoraida. Sure it takes some doing, 1 attack from Madness, Hex for Zoraida and then Finally Obey. But it can certainly be worth it if you pull it off correctly.

1. Bayou: Pretty much what you get in the starter box - an assortment of swamp monsters that tends to play a very hit & run style of game. Waldgeists fit very well and being Bayou natives, a few gremlins would also fit into the theme. In fact some of the LaCroix Minions are great additions to a Zoraida crew.

Something that sprang to mind while reading this thread:

You can also scrap build a couple Insidious Madnesses which look like swamp beasts, ie something that comes from the depths of the Bayou to frighten lonely wanderers...

And if that is to your taste, you´re free to convert / scrap build some of the other Neverborn minions too. I think about the Nephilims here which can be converted / scrap built to look like inhabitants of the wilderness of the Bayou...

Mmhh, the more I think about it, the more I like that idea. ;)

ZK

Thanks to all, guys. Now I'm sure to pick up the box and the walgeist blister... :D Since I have Ortegas (so papa loco), Tina (so gamins) and Somm'er Teeth (gremlims!!) I will have a very huge crew in a moment :P

I'm also thinking to buy raptors and guild hounds. I like them to my Ortega crew, and think that can fit into a bayou themed crew also... A list plenty of bayou animals, like raptors (xD), hounds and rats...

What do you think?

Thanks to all, guys. Now I'm sure to pick up the box and the walgeist blister... :D Since I have Ortegas (so papa loco), Tina (so gamins) and Somm'er Teeth (gremlims!!) I will have a very huge crew in a moment :P

Great to hear! Although I should point out that Gamlin constructs (ie. not living), so Zoraida can'thire them via enthrall. :(

I'm also thinking to buy raptors and guild hounds. I like them to my Ortega crew, and think that can fit into a bayou themed crew also... A list plenty of bayou animals, like raptors (xD), hounds and rats...

I'm not particularly keen on including the Guild Hound or the Malifaux Raptor/Rat. All are insignificant if you don't buy them some friends (making it an even larger SS investment) and I'm not convinced that their value to Zoraida is worth their cost she pays for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 dream thematic crews for big Z

first one, Rathnard already pointed out, puppets

voodoo doll, wicked dolls, stitched together, collodi

But i want to build a "feelings" faction for her with sorrows, insidious madness, alps and probably Jack Daw.