Any questions or criticism of the fluff?

nerdelemental

In a coming book will there be a better, more detailed map of the city ?

Or do you not have such kind of map at Wyrd atm ?

Are there any sea in the Malifaux world. ?

Will we ever hear more about Earthside in the storyline ?

How big are the factions in numbers, like how many members does the M&SU have, and how many guards does the Guild have etc.

I thought it was an elegant way to make it known that this "world" in which Malifaux and Earthside exist is not the world you and I live in, and is a fantasy world based loosely on real life history/culture, but only loosely.

The Three Kingdoms part is especially nice, as continuing to call it China would be very annoying to players who see a girl from the "Three Kingdoms" called by a name obviously Japanese in origin*, use the occasional Chinese vocabulary in speech and wear cloths referred to as Kimono (Japanese) but looking a bit more like Hanbok (Korean).

*and a bit cheesy to boot (paging Ms. "Hate PeaceCountry"), though without the characters present, there are an unknown number of other possible translations...

Actually, the mix of China-Japan-Korea in Miss Kirai makes me wonder about the status of the Three Kingdoms.

Earthside, what happened?

Does the history of "Earthside" closely match our actual history (Dark Ages, Pax Romana, Ming Dynasty, Mongol invasions, etc...) or are there major changes, such as China, Japan, and Korea being united as the Three Kingdoms?

If, the Three Kingdoms are infact CJK (China/Japan/Korea), and not simply a reference to the ancient history Chinese period of warring states, then will it be possible to get more information on how this occurred, which of the three is in dominance, are the three more or less separate (ie: highly mingled where "Three Kingdoms" is just a term for their historical origins, or not very mingled at all, where "Three Kingdoms" actually refers to the political makeup of an alliance, possible loose).

Based on Kirai, I'm guessing the Three Kingdoms are more mingled together than a loose alliance would suggest. There is a possibility of 3 ruling kings on a council (or similar powersharing set up), but it seems like the lower classes are highly mingled to share language, clothing, culture, etc...

Basically, please give more information about the Three Kingdoms in Malifaux.

I'm verry confident with info they have given us, (and stating that they 'might' have the're own breach) will mean that it's the next faction

I thought it was an elegant way to make it known that this "world" in which Malifaux and Earthside exist is not the world you and I live in, and is a fantasy world based loosely on real life history/culture, but only loosely.

The Three Kingdoms part is especially nice, as continuing to call it China would be very annoying to players who see a girl from the "Three Kingdoms" called by a name obviously Japanese in origin*, use the occasional Chinese vocabulary in speech and wear cloths referred to as Kimono (Japanese) but looking a bit more like Hanbok (Korean).

Not getting too specific about Earth's Three Kingdom's history just yet but Cats Laughing is really throwing the dart close to the center on a batch of issues.

Regarding Kirai - you all have no idea how much time went into looking into the comingled imagery and vocabulary and culture of that whole region and making big decisions about what words they use when, what their dress looks like. Crazy.

You know - there are all kinds of Kanji symbols throughout the book....they don't mean nothin'....just sayin.

• 1 month later...

fluff wise what i could use is a map of the world of malifaux.

and maybe a name for the world of malifaux, and how big it is in relation to earth

when i design a board i always try to plug it in the world and this info makes it easier

I really dig the fluff of Malifaux.

Its all thought out and very well put.

There are a few grammatical errors that get to me in the books, but its all easily looked over and loved.

My only real question

Why is C.Hoffman guild?

Will he ever find out the truth and switch to Arcanist?

How will that work into gameplay?

For a different fluff request.

So far, the art in Malifaux has taken only a few forms. Profile shots of characters, puppet profile shots of characters, scene images, and miscellany.

I have a request.

I want to see a fight. I want a two page spread of two crews duking it out. I could be Gremlins vs. Pandora for all I care. I just want some fight art.

Why is C.Hoffman guild?

As I understood the second book's fluff. C. Hoffman blames the Arcanists for luring Ryle to Malifaux which led to his current state, which is fairly accurate, but he is unaware that Ramos is an Arcanist, so he has no ill will towards him, for now.

If anything, when C. Hoffman finds out the truth, the only change will be that he will go after Ramos along with the rest of the Arcanists.

Or are you thinking that C. Hoffman doesn't realize that it was simply them passing through the Breach that almost killed Ryle and he thinks that the Arcanists that just happen to show up at that time are responsible for Ryle's condition?

Either way, I'm not sure why he would side with the Arcanists.

Because Ramos 'saved' his brother? Maybe, but I could see how he would still blame Ramos for luring Ryle to Malifaux in the first place.

Finally, from C. Hoffman's fluff in the second book, he appears to have the demeanor of a good King's Subject that prefers law and following orders to an Arcanists-style rebellion. I got the impression that he would find it Improper to challenge a ruling authority in such a manner.

fluff wise what i could use is a map of the world of malifaux.

and maybe a name for the world of malifaux, and how big it is in relation to earth

when i design a board i always try to plug it in the world and this info makes it easier

I'm unsure how a map would help you with all of that. A game board is a game board. It shouldn't really matter if we better map out the Northern Mountains, should it?

That said, coming up with a better map of the known territority of Malifaux's region is on our radar, defining the world, its size, other things - well, they're not so much. Like the exploration of our world hundreds of years ago, I bet you would like a global map - but that's not going to happen. Like those early explorers, there are dangers and fears of the unknown. How big the world is and what's beyond what they know - well, if Seamus and Ramos don't know, then you can sit back and relax knowing that you're in good company!

I really dig the fluff of Malifaux.

Its all thought out and very well put.

There are a few grammatical errors that get to me in the books, but its all easily looked over and loved.

Thanks! But those grammatical errors - in both books? Things should have tightened up a bit making that criticism not so substantial, I'd think?

(just curious - always striving to improve!)

My only real question

Why is C.Hoffman guild?

I think Atherzon summed it up. The Guild hired him to uncover a very specific group that do things specifically geared to his area of expertise (even if he didn't get 'unlocked' magically through the breach). Now that he's SO pissed at the Arcanists, it's far more logical that he's given free reign and authority and resources to build his one-man army to hunt down exactly those he hates. So, why would he ever be an Arcanist? Even if he found out the truth, wouldn't he still resent Ramos for luring them through the breach in the first place?

That reminds me: locally, players are often heard saying, "Why is Ryle with Lucius and not with Hoffman?" To which I'm always wondering why it would ever occur to anyone that Hoffman would ever want to be in the same room with Ryle much less the same crew. Brothers, I guess. But Hoff loathes what Ryle is now. Loathes himself, too, for that matter. Basically, he's a hater. And haters gotta hate.

Also, fluffwise, I am incredibly pleased that you moved away from the "All totems are magical manifestations created by Masters". I really hated that.

No problemo.

It just needs to make sense on some level. Some are still very much those magical manifestations, others are just more 'in tune' with the master they're attached to on some spiritual level or some such thing.

:)

That said, coming up with a better map of the known territority of Malifaux's region is on our radar, defining the world, its size, other things - well, they're not so much. Like the exploration of our world hundreds of years ago, I bet you would like a global map - but that's not going to happen. Like those early explorers, there are dangers and fears of the unknown. How big the world is and what's beyond what they know - well, if Seamus and Ramos don't know, then you can sit back and relax knowing that you're in good company!

So we will see something like the maps for the discworld series (i hope you got them in the US) for example, there was one map of ANkh-Morpork. I think a stylised map of the city itself would be fantastic!

Also, will you be exploring more of the world in future developments or will the action still be based around the city?

That reminds me: locally, players are often heard saying, "Why is Ryle with Lucius and not with Hoffman?" To which I'm always wondering why it would ever occur to anyone that Hoffman would ever want to be in the same room with Ryle much less the same crew. Brothers, I guess. But Hoff loathes what Ryle is now. Loathes himself, too, for that matter. Basically, he's a hater. And haters gotta hate.

That makes sense. I suspect C Hoffman lies a lot of the blame on his own shoulders for what happened to Ryle. Who would want to be in the same vicinity as someone/something that would constantly remind you of your failings?

It's alright, I just wish they'd stop pooping on the Ressers...

Seamus and Molly...maybe Kirai, are the only ones who get any love.

Nico and Morty have a few brief moments in the latter half of the second book, but all he did was drop a bomb on Hammy and a Lady J...

McM is completely unknown...for the most part.

Nico and Morty have a few brief moments in the latter half of the second book, but all he did was drop a bomb on Hammy and a Lady J...

I really thought Nicodem was given far more face time than any other master save maybe Kirai in Book II. Seamus in Book I. So, with the three of them, I'm pretty tempted to say that I personally think the Res have been given more love than any other faction.

Using only my outlines of the books' core fluff, I'm pretty positive the order would go (from most to least faction representation):

Res

Arcanist

Guild

Neverborn/Outcast (in a tie for last)

Other than the last two, most of the Res, Arcanist, and Guild see nearly equal face time. But the Arcanist saw a lot of Rasputina in Book I, Collette as next most popular, with a decent spattering of Ramos. Very little on Marcus so far.

Guild saw a lot of Sonnia in Book I, quite a bit in Book II with Perdita also showing quite a bit. Hoffman was a secondary presence for several chapters but was written about a lot (just didn't do a hell of a lot), and Lady J was there to briefly kick butt before an observatory fell on her.

Res had Seamus the central character of Book I, Kirai the most central character of Book II by quite a lot, with Nicodem there in three chapters to manipulate her and get her to ultimately fulfill his plan of dominance, too.

Neverborn has only seen their masters as secondary characters of most of the stories in which they appear. We saw Zoraida and Lilith as such in Book I and LCB/Dreamer a tad in Book II. Segue images of Pandora and Candy but nothing central.

Outcasts have seen Viktorias and Leve as present but more supporting cast members of Book I and So'mer as an antagonistic presence in Book II. With Hamelin as the central antagonist of the the entire Book II, though, I think they'd nudge out the Neverborn in the fluff presence debate.

:)

(it's almost like I've thought about this particular topic before!)

Edited by nerdelemental

I think there's more on Nicodem that what you've stated, for one you forgot the part where he buried the governor general son and he did train Karia

McM got a bit in the first book, talked about in the second book and mentioned in the disturbing case of Edgar Ryan, all have more than poor Marcus.

I personly would like to know more about Collodi or Kaeris

Nico was all over Rising power. I think partially because he felt left out in book 1. The same with Perdita and family.

Personally everyone always complains about a lack of master presence in the fluff but I honestly would love to see more about the non-master characters.

What goes on in the mind of a Witchling Stalker? Do Constructs dream of steam powered Sheep? Whats Bishop's story? Etc

Outcasts have seen Viktorias and Leve as present but more supporting cast members of Book I and So'mer as an antagonistic presence in Book II. With Hamelin as the central antagonist of the the entire Book II, though, I think they'd nudge out the Neverborn in the fluff presence debate.

Strange, I've always thought that the Viktorias were the main protagonist of the first book and with the nature of the masamue, one of the most important players in Malifaux politics, levicus might not appeared as much, but Rusty Alyice was around for a lot, although she didn't do much. Hamlin pretty much took centre stage as the main antagonist in book. Som'er Teeth Jones did lead the Gremlins at the end of book 2, although why they were there is an all together different question. Personly I think there could be a connection between the gremlins and the Gorgon, but I could just be looking into this far too much.

Nico was all over Rising power. I think partially because he felt left out in book 1. The same with Perdita and family.

Personally everyone always complains about a lack of master presence in the fluff but I honestly would love to see more about the non-master characters.

What goes on in the mind of a Witchling Stalker? Do Constructs dream of steam powered Sheep? Whats Bishop's story? Etc

+1 on Bishop

And some on Kaeris would be good as well as:

Jack Daw

Coppelius

Killjoy

Bad Juju and

Why can't Taelor afford clothes that fit her?

Edited by Sliver Chocobo

Now that is an important discussion!

An expansion book must focus upon the key figures of the world, and that's our masters. There's very little space to do much else. However, typical henchman-like key minions such as Joss, Samael, Molly (who is a real henchman!), Mortimer, etc will show up as integral more and more (wait for the next book!).

Other venues to expand our writing and explore the world are in discussion. In those alternative places we'll be able to delve a bit more into secondary characters and their role in Malifaux. Since I'm Captain Core writer, much of those stories will fall upon the shoulders of the other members of the writing team.

Well, I can't contribute much to the conversation as I've only read the first book and thee-zines, but I really like the story so far. One of the major factors of me getting into the game was the fluff, and if the story hadn't of entertained me I probably wouldn't have bothered XD I started out loving Rasputina (just from the picture) but the story prompted me to get Viktoria also =)

Anyway, keep up the writing sir! ^.^