Inspiration for Characters

eturns

In the women in malifaux thread there is talk of how the inspiration for some of the characters influences the appearance.

I also really like to read more background on the inspriation of characters to see how the game character is changed from the inspiration so I thought I would start a thread listing the inspiration for the characters in the game. Off the top of my head these are the ones I can think of.

Lilith - Lilith for mesopotamian mythology

Zoraida - Baba Yaga

Pandora - Pandora

(all three are also inspired by the kindly ones, fates from what I can see)

Hamelin - Piper of Hamelin

Coppelius - ETA Hoffman's the sandman (great link with Hoffman's unexplained connection rule)

Anyone else able to suggest others?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seishin feel like they are heavily based on the shito-dama of Japanese mythology. Onryo are classic Japanese folklore, being female spirits of vengence. They appear all over Japanese cinematography, Kurosawa has portrayed them, even the character from the ring has a lot of the traits stolen from them, they normally dress in white have dark black hair and white and Indigo face makeip.

Could the Mannequins and Coryphee be influenced by the brill film Metropolis, particulary these scenes:

"Rotwang demonstrates the machine-man's (now in Maria's image) abilities to Fredersen by dressing it up as an erotic dancer at the Yoshiwara, where it drives the sons of the owners into homicidal fits of sexual jealousy."

Either that or are the Mannequins inspired by the film 'Mannequin'? ;)