So my LGS caught a couple players cheating

Steelwhip

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

happened last week. we have a decent ammount of Malifaux players at our store..4-6 at any one time on our monday gaming and we managed to catch a couple of the guys cheating recentley

how does one cheat at malifaux you may ask...it seems they had purchased several decks and had literally taken out all the low cards and stacked them with high cards. It was only with a sharp eyed player that noticed one of the guys layed down 2 cards that were both 12 of crows did anyone pick up on what they were doing and after checking thier decks and finding out what they had done were they asked to leave

it disheartens me that people would go to these lengths to cheat at a game...but there you have it

just a worde of caution to people out there that people do literally "stack the deck' in thier favor

Thats just sad. Im sorry for you guys Steelwhip. I hope you guys don't lose business over it but I would not allow them to play in any official events for a long while.

Good luck with it and hope you don't have any more cheaters.

I know we had thought about it. as we were joked about doing it.. Occasionally make jipes about someone picking up the wrong deck and getting the one with all the low cards in it. There was the game where I flipped 5 Black Jokers on important duels.

Edited by Ratty

I'm not even sure how this would work. Most of the games I play by turn 3 or so every turn sees nearly 2/3s of the deck (if not more). The odds of seeing this kind of thing exposed are pretty high. They'd probably have had better luck just arguing that whatever card they played was a red joker. Then you could have assumed they were insane rather than just dirty cheaters.

Really how insecure do you need to be that you need to cheat at a game played for fun.

Most of the cheaters I know (and sadly, I do seem to know more than a couple), justify this kind of crap in competitive play as "I'm just willing to take advantage of an edge that you are too afraid to use.", as though cheating was a part of the gaming landscape, employed only by those "brave" enough to do it.

Most of the cheaters I know (and sadly, I do seem to know more than a couple), justify this kind of crap in competitive play as "I'm just willing to take advantage of an edge that you are too afraid to use.", as though cheating was a part of the gaming landscape, employed only by those "brave" enough to do it.

So they must think steroids and corked bats are okay in baseball too using that logic...sheesh.

Wow this is just sad. I know because of us rumored shenigans all my players are required to cut each others decks in tourneys. But in open play I would never even worry about it.

On the flip side of that coin... the very act of offering to let your opponent cut your deck is very reassuring and it takes virtually no time to do. I always offer, even if my opponent does not.

Really how insecure do you need to be that you need to cheat at a game played for fun.

Agreed. Pretty sad indeed.

Hmmmm, come to think of it, the guy that never beats me in Warma-Hordes gave me a used fate deck as a present and enticement to get into Malifaux. I should check that all my 13s and the red joker are in there and I don't have 2+ black jokers (I flipped the black joker two turns in a row in my first game using that deck...) :)

Nah, he wouldn't cheat in that way, and I don't think most of the locals would either.

The only way I could think of to stop these shennanigans is to follow a few steps (at least in tournament play).

1: TO looks at all of the decks to make sure everyone has all of the right cards (and they can check for card marking). He/she might need an extra trusted person to help with this step.

2: Once a deck is OK'd they are only allowed to use that deck for the entire event.

3: The opponent MUST cut your deck after you have shuffled and you must do the same.

Is this tedious? Very. Does it slow an event down? Absolutely. But if you suspect someone of cheating and you are making EVERYONE do this the cheaters will either quit showing up or your annoyed, paranoid players will catch them and beat them down with gym socks filled with marbles.

Edited by AkumaKaze

Can we do some nasty ritual that'd melt all their pewter? Pretty please!

Alright, but it's kind of complicated.

First you need to pray to the fire god.

Second, you need to throw their models into a furnace.

Third, if the fire god accepts, they will melt. If he refuses, they will be imbued with life and hunt you. For reference, please see the documentary "Small Soldiers".