So, I've been proxying some of my friend, THaehl's, Canine Remains in lieu of the Guild hound which I am so eagerly anticipating.

I've been planning on sculpting some Guild Hounds for my Ortega crew for a little while so I've decided to start this thread up as incentive to do so.

Here is what I want to do specifically:

Four hounds are to be sculpted.

One hound I want in motion, lunging from his base, steel maw open. This dog will be painted dark brown in color with a black leather harness trimmed in red and studded with gold. It will also wear the same red bandana and knee pads as my Santiago.

The next hound I am planning on having standing straight up, ears at attention. The color of the body is to be black with some tan spotting on its underside. The harness is to be painted in a dark plum similar to my Perdita. The studs are to be done in gold. The muzzle might also be painted gold instead of silver on this one.

The last two are still being decided on. They might end up being sculpted and painted in a manner that will suit Sonnia Criid, who I wish to pick up pretty soon. If I do that, they will end up having arcane symbols carved into their leather.

There are other possibilities with the other two hounds, if they are Ortega themed like the first pair. I may put one in a poncho with a skull on the neck (Abuela and Papa's dog) and the other could be poised low to the ground, as if skulking, and wearing goggles (to reflect Niño's image).

This is the breed of dog I plan on emulating for the Family's dogs-- the Mexican Hairless, or "Xolo".

XoloitzcuintliCaminosFridaKahlo1.jpg

Here are the Ortegas that will be adopting these pups.

perdita_crew__front__by_kirigakurenohaku-d30zouf.jpg

Having no sculpting skills myself to speak of I'm very interested to see what you can do. Seems like you've got an good idea for sculpts too, personally I think that the idea with the sulking dog is very cool. Good luck, I'll keep an eye on this thread awaiting results.

Oh, and if it isn't too much trouble, mind taking some WIP pics? I'd like to start sculpting someday and watching someone else in work will probably be a good way to learn (hopefully).

Having no sculpting skills myself to speak of I'm very interested to see what you can do. Seems like you've got an good idea for sculpts too, personally I think that the idea with the sulking dog is very cool. Good luck, I'll keep an eye on this thread awaiting results.

Oh, and if it isn't too much trouble, mind taking some WIP pics? I'd like to start sculpting someday and watching someone else in work will probably be a good way to learn (hopefully).

Thanks so much! ^o^

If I can find some batteries, I will certainly take some progress pictures.

What I use for sculpting is a polymer clay (most commonly known as Sculpy, another large brand is Fimo). I hope that this will still be a help for you. ^_^

I will likely be starting my first sculpt tonight or tomorrow, so progress pictures will probably start popping up tomorrow afternoon or the next day after.

So here, I present to you, my work space:

IMG_0069.jpg

From left to right, there is Niño Ortega for some size comparisons for proportioning my hound in Wyrd scale, a piece of paper with some preliminary sketches and a 30 mm circle drawn on it, the compass that I used to draw the circle, an old CD case for working on (polymer leaves a residue), a block of yellow polymer clay, and a pair of files to be used for sculpting.

IMG_0070.jpg

This is the beginning of sculpting my first hound. Here it is, taking form. After taking this picture, I repositioned the head and neck, tweaked the hind legs, and put the front legs on.

IMG_0071.jpg

The hound has just been placed into the oven, laying on a piece of aluminum foil. The legs opposite the foil are being supported, here by more foil.

IMG_0072.jpg

And it is done! (Mostly.) The dog is free-standing. All this one needs now (as far as the sculpting goes) is the addition of what the hound will be wearing. I'll probably end up sculpting the leather, goggles, and bite-mask on with some flour (or greensyuff, if I can steal some away from a friend). That is not a concern as of now, though, as I have more hounds to sculpt!

Oh-- and those burn marks, they're not from the oven. Rather, they are from a lighter. I used a lighter to heat up some of the hardened plastic to soften it up for a bit of minor reposing. (I turned the head just a bit to the side and shifted the front leg to look a little more natural.)

Edited by KirigakurenoHaku

Good, complete name of the breed... "Xolotzcuincle"

How about that for a malifaux miniature name?

Impossible to pronounce. I've been trying to figure this one out for a few days now. o_o

very nice mr haku as always, i should be able to get that green stuff to you.

I enjoy how useful our relationship is.

Thank you very much, Mr. Haehl. ^_^

(On a side note, I am noticing how abundantly it is that I use emoticons. o-o) (Did you see that!? There was another one! ºOº)

Impossible to pronounce. I've been trying to figure this one out for a few days now. o_o

I enjoy how useful our relationship is.

Thank you very much, Mr. Haehl. ^_^

(On a side note, I am noticing how abundantly it is that I use emoticons. o-o) (Did you see that!? There was another one! ºOº)

Xoloitzcuintli --> it is difficult more or less it goes so:

Sholo-iss-ku-int-li OR as wiki says: SHOH-loyts-KWEENT-lee

By the way... thats a cool idea... about the guild dogs

Edited by Der Wolfen

Xoloitzcuintli --> it is difficult more or less it goes so:

Sholo-iss-ku-int-li OR as wiki says: SHOH-loyts-KWEENT-lee

By the way... thats a cool idea... about the guild dogs

Thanks so much! I appreciate the comment.

And the provided phonetics may very well be something I refer back to repeatedly. Thanks! ^_^

Looks really great - sculpting is a sod, and you've pulled it off awesomely. :)

...it still hurts my eyes with the horrid blue :(

"Sod"? Please define this for me. o_o This is a good thing, yes; to be "sod"?

Is it the blue of my text that is bothersome?

• 2 months later...