Haunted Mansion

Maniple

Not sure how you are planing on finishing the sides of this piece, however, because of the size I might recommend using textured plasticard. It is available at most model train stores and in a variety of scales (recommend either "O" or 1/4" scales). It shold reduce a lot of the detail work.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tips. Not sure yet how I want the outside to look. The biggest challenge will be finding some nice railings and such for the porch and the stairs. Right now I am focused on the interiors. I would like to give a shout out to jennifersprintables.com for the wallpapers shown here. The site also has printable victorian periodicals that are neat and may show up here in the mansion soon. Here is a picture of Colette and one of her babes hanging wallpaper. It is not glued on yet as I need to cut out doors and make a fireplace. The rug is just a picture of a persian rug printed out on heavy paper. enjoy.

MalifauxMansion108.jpg

I am looking forward to also using this house in Horrorclix and Call of Cthulhu.

Hanging wallpaper takes forever!

But does look pretty neat:

MalifauxMansion129.jpg

MalifauxMansion128.jpg

Here is the fireplace:

MalifauxMansion122.jpg

And the library:

MalifauxMansion125.jpg

The scale on the bookshelves is not quite right. I will have to go back and paint over some of the details to achieve a little more consistent look. Also, my doors have turned out to be too short. I am going to increase their height and make new frames.

The interior is coming along. Lots of work to do yet...

The problem is, it looks too much like a doll house. Once I have the basic structure done I will have to weather it a bit and add some more scary or "Malifaux" elements to it.

MalifauxMansion144.jpg

Here is the dumbwaiter:

MalifauxMansion133.jpg

And the butler's pantry:

MalifauxMansion132.jpg

The kitchen:

MalifauxMansion145.jpg

So to make it a bit more homey, I added some artwork.

Here is one uncle Frank sent over:

MalifauxMansion139.jpg

Lillith as a child:

MalifauxMansion138.jpg

And the obligatory creepy victorian kids:

MalifauxMansion137.jpg

I would love more ideas to increase the scary factor. I will of course add some busted furniture, blood spatter, and rips in the wallpaper. Anything else?

MalifauxMansion142.jpg

I did download Shellandrak Manor today and will be looking at it. My plan is to make the house slightly more creepy with each floor going up. I will try using stretched out cotton balls for cobwebs. Dollhouse props have been a bust so far as most of them are in a scale almost four times as big as Malifaux. No luck there.

I spent some time this weekend working on the exterior. I glued on some card strips to cover up the gap between floors and began the framing for the windows and doors. I don't have any paint on the exterior yet so they may not show up clearly. The front bay window is done and the observatory/lab on the third floor is shaping up.

I will be taking the cobweb gun under advisement. :)

MalifauxMansion164.jpg

MalifauxMansion166.jpg

I did download Shellandrak Manor today and will be looking at it. My plan is to make the house slightly more creepy with each floor going up.
You inspired me to try my own houses, although on a much smaller scale. I will be using Shellendrak Manor with my foamcore terrain, although just making 6" x 4" footprint buildings out of the PDFs. I won't try interiors yet!

That webcaster looks like it would make cobwebs far too large for the purpose.

For the record, when I mentioned cobwebs being impractical, I was referring to them getting in the way of play. If it was just a model for display, it would be one thing, but I have to imagine they would be difficult to play around.

I have been working on the outside of the mansion. There is a lot of trim to put on and edges to clean up. I glued on a strip of half inch card all the way around the bottom of each floor with a slight overhang. This allows each floor to snap on top of the one below it and not slide around during game play. It also covers up any uneven edges on the pylasters (upright trim pieces.) Here is another WIP pic, not too different from what has gone before, but I assure you hours and hours went into it to get this far.

MalifauxMansion190.jpg

Once I finished most of the outside trim I decided to go ahead and add a basecoat of paint. Up until now I have been worried that the house would not look very imposing. I guess white foamcore and splotches of paint are not very ominous. Here is what it looks like now:

MalifauxMansion196.jpg

MalifauxMansion195.jpg

MalifauxMansion194.jpg

I will try to get as much done as I can before heading home for Christmas break, though I doubt it will be done. Otherwise, see you in the new year!

• 1 month later...