Serious Over-sight

Bas1

Thinking about the fluff of the game and thinking about how it is a bit like Deadlands (Which was awesome) I realized this game is missing something. Religious characters. More importantly, a gun toting, redneck/crazy pastor.

So

Dear Malifaux,

Please rectify this.

I saw a post before from one of the Malifaux people (I think it was Nathan) that they were purposely avoiding religion because they just didn't want to go there.

In order not to start something that could bring up bad feelings, one side or the other, it is best left untouched in some cases.

Of course this can change if the theme is right.

I actually kind of figured they would try and avoid religion (Since they don't have a single thing regarding it yet).

How so?!

in the Fluff (at least) there is a specific scene where a minister is delivering a sermon as a body is being buried

the WHOLE NOTION of an alternate world where Nephlem run-amuk... Nephlem are from Religous "Mythology"

Specificly in the book of Genesis!

to think in this world of Malifaux that a Sin Eater, a Fatherly Decon of the Poor, an Exerocist or Religous Zelot would not try to make their place is just, well, silly!

to avoid a tangent...

I understand and respect the idea that the folks at Wyrd

want to avoid religous... stuff. there are PLENTY of reasons to not do it.

I would suggest, because it will keep comming up otherwise-

to offer an editors note like the little parchment fluf in the rules books a simple statment; something to the effect:

Due to the Guilds agressive and single minded holdings in Malifaux, to prevent any discourse among it's people, those of the "Religous" persuasion are forbade entering Malifaux

or even something kinda funny:

... after the third trian car full of Nuns and Viccars burst into blue flames... no othe church member dared go in again...

Avoiding current religions can be a good thing. Then they can create their own in Malifaux.

Well, maybe the avatars and book three will come out with something of more religious tone: There are entities in M. world that are God-like for sure. Their power is great, they all have some sort of followers, and I'm guesing that Avatars will be some sort of their Heralds. That is religious enough for me.

Actually thinking about it Voodooism is a current religion. It's practiced, though not widely. So, the Hag being a Voodooist is kind of a priest :)

No, please don't. Not using the usual tropes is what makes Malifaux so awesome. Doing tired, old, worn out characters yet again is beneath you.

Now, some hot latina cousins of Perdita on the other hand.... that's a cliche I could get behind!

Wyrd uses a lot of old tropes, but put their own spin on them. I mean, they have a Frankenstein, his monster and his hunchback assistant. They have Jack the Ripper. They have cool twists on these though.

Actually thinking about it Voodooism is a current religion. It's practiced, though not widely. So, the Hag being a Voodooist is kind of a priest :)

Wyrd uses a lot of old tropes, but put their own spin on them. I mean, they have a Frankenstein, his monster and his hunchback assistant. They have Jack the Ripper. They have cool twists on these though.

with the last part, people always whine about *originality* things, but I think the strongest things are not those that are original, but embrace stereotypes, then offcourse to me thats what being done with most of malifaux anyway. (as opposed to most fantasy/scifi games imho) so it all depends on how you look at things ;)

as for the first thing,

Im pretty sure voodoo is a "hollywood" concept. hoodoo I think is the proper thing and not religion but a "practice" afaik.. the religion being (among others) santeria ?

havent checked it and the topic I havent read about recently.

likewise, while I see no religion, religious faction, religious motives in malifaux, I dont think the character stereotypes are excluded.. there are witch hunters allready, and I can definitely see a typical western priest type personality sans any fanatisicm (wich doesnt fit the era anyway.)

my current belief is he should be an ortega tough :)

as for the first thing,

Im pretty sure voodoo is a "hollywood" concept. hoodoo I think is the proper thing and not religion but a "practice" afaik.. the religion being (among others) santeria ?

havent checked it and the topic I havent read about recently.

Well there is Louisianna Voodoo, Haitian Voodoo and Southern Hoodoo, which share similarities.

They worship Gods called Loa (such as Baron Samedi) i belive Loa was mentioned in book 2 by one of the gemlins and there was some sort of ritual sacrifise as well

Loa are actually spirits, not really gods necessarily. Though some loa are more powerful than others and have greater spheres of influence. Also, each subset of Voodooism has it's own set of (quite malleable) beliefs. Louisiana Voodooism for instance was highly influenced by French and Spanish Catholicism. For the most part they believe in a single high God (such as the Father of the Holy Trinity) and that Saints such as St. Peter etc. are one-and-the-same with more traditional voodoo loa (St. Peter taking the place of the African Vudu's "Legba" for instance).

Taken straight from wikipedia:

"The core beliefs of Louisiana Voodoo include the recognition of one God who does not interfere in people's daily lives and spirits that preside over daily life. Spiritual forces, which can be kind or mischievous, shape daily life through and intercede in the lives of their followers. Connection with these spirits can be achieved through dance, music, singing, and the use of snakes, which represent Legba, Voodoo's "main spirit conduit to all others."[2] Unlike the Judeo-Christian image, the Voodoo serpent represents "healing knowledge and the connection between Heaven and Earth."[2] Deceased ancestors can also intercede in the lives of Voodoo followers.[2]"

But, the simple fact that Wyrd has included Zoraida as a voodoo practitioner means that the game *does* have a religious minister/leader/practitioner present in the game.

Is someone from New Orleans' date=' Darguth?[/quote']

No, I'm from the Detroit-Metro area. My girlfriend of nearly 4 years has spent the last several years living and working in New Orleans though, so I've made dozens of trips to the area. I'm also Catholic, so the Voodoo connection to my faith in that area of the world is interesting and I've looked into it a bit just to see what it's about.

No, I'm from the Detroit-Metro area. My girlfriend of nearly 4 years has spent the last several years living and working in New Orleans though, so I've made dozens of trips to the area. I'm also Catholic, so the Voodoo connection to my faith in that area of the world is interesting and I've looked into it a bit just to see what it's about.

Darguth, we all know you're a Creole.