Buying Cards

Mentat_Canis

Ok I did not know where to put this. I am asking if anyone knows if you are able to buy the stat cards for Models that are not out yet.

I ask because I have the books but it is much easier to play with the cards and I would love to play with some of the rules but don't want to wait till the models get released at which point I will buy them.

Yeah this brings up an interesting point.

If the rules are already printed in the book, why does Wyrd not make the cards available now.....I know that they like to have the picture of the model in the on the card, but in this case I would be okay purchasing a pre-model card with no picture of the model on it.....may be just some early concept artwork.

In fact, I would purchase a Faction Deck set from each faction. Sort of what Privateer Press does with Warmachine/Hordes. Now if Wyrd thinks that this would promote people just buying the cards and not the models w/cards....who knows. But another company is doing it.

If anything they should at least sell the pre-model cards.

Comes down to a % of the player base wants any given model. Then only a % of them would pay to get an early version of card. Then you have to factor in how much they make on each card. Im guessing they are selling cards at next to no actual profit. Im not sure how many models they sell but my guess is that the final result is not worth the company time and money to put out.

Thing I cant get is how they can sell for retail and make less money then online retailers who sell for 20% less and charge no shiping. (I fully support them selling for retail btw as it saves the local stores who they need to stay afloat like every other game company)

Then again I know less then nothing about running a business :)

That's easy, the exposure and sales online is a tiny fraction of what can be done at the retail level. There may be discounts to the retailers, but the volume far outweighs that vs. how much the online store makes. Not to mention boxing/labeling/mailing onesy-twosy blister orders cost more than shipping large orders to distributors/retailers (shipping discounts)

(that'd be my guess)

I understand that volume plays a factor.

I get that they could not offer free shiping for a single blister but When some one is buying a 100 bucks of product free shiping does not seam unreasonable. Basicly my point was if any online store could do it then wyrd could do it as its obviously profitable to do so or online vendors would be out of business.

Simple, we don't compete with retailers. We 'could' under cut them all, streamline the buisness into doing direct customer sales as well, but then you are cutting your own throat by taking the sales away from distributors and retailers and the amount of sales you pick up through online web sales is a very very small drop in the bucket compared.

Right now the warehouse is setup for distribution, which means the miniatures are boxed and packaged in a way for quick pull and fulfillment. When we do direct customer orders, that changes how the order is pulled and takes more time considering the size of the order.

As for the shipping costs, we do mailing through Fedex, which means there is a base price for everything that goes out the door, whether is weighs .01 pounds or 4.5 pounds.

To answer the 'why aren't cards without miniatures available yet' - simple .. costs. V2 cards was a decision made to update and fix, and offer for free with trade ins and was done on a player base consideration level. It's not cheap. Making blank cards with just data on them is not going to happen because the percentage of people that would want them would be a tiny fraction of the cost. We'll release cards when they are ready, as well as book one cards in the near future in a PDF. Till then, have to wait for the official cards.

Woot PDF cards for the win :). This is total news to me.

I for one would love to see this happen. The real reason this comes up on the board is how important the cards are and how difficult the current replace option can be. Thanks to the Wyrd team for looking in to options for makeing the game as player friendly as you can.

We'll release cards when they are ready, as well as book one cards in the near future in a PDF. Till then, have to wait for the official cards.

Wow Never expected this to powderkeg as much as it did. Thank you for the heads up that I can not buy cards early, I completely understand your reason for this I just didn't know how far ahead of time you had the final cards done.

As for PDF cards they would be nice for models not yet out but I couldn't see myself not using the standard cards.

Thank you for the quick answer I guess I have to break out the scanner to get the Silent one and Kaeris playable till they come out.