Professional Painters

Chev Chelios

Honestly, here's the thing about developing countries: $1.75 an hour is awesome when your food for a day costs $1.50!

Yes, it's not exactly great money, but a lot of entrepreneurs in foreign countries are taking advantage of the internet to offer services to foreigners cheap that would be ridiculously expensive in a first world country.

Fair? Well, they could be mining coal or working in a factory for a similar wage, or maybe even less. I doubt any of them hate their job. Maybe laugh at the Americans for being idiots, but then again, people laughed at me when they found out I was paying $2200 for a 3 bedroom in Brooklyn (split 3 ways) (try to find something cheaper if you think that's ridiculous, especially before this real estate crash). Money is relative.

I do commission also, but there is no way I could do enough to really support my family. I'm EXTREMELY fortunate that I can do a lot of painting while I'm working (I do a lot of sitting around - like a firefighter but not even close to being that heroic) so I'm being paid by my client and my job. For me its more about the satisfaction of a job well done so I don't really charge a lot.

I too have completed commissioned 40k and WFB armies... and after 297 goblins and a horde of Skaven, Im taking a break from mass-produced infantry.

Tabltop standard, the pricing is (per mini):

Infantry - $4

Large/Ogre/Troll - $7

Cavalry - $12

Chariot/Warmachine - $15

Character - $20

Large mini (eg. Dragon/Giant) - neg, dependent upon conversion, mounted character, scenic basing.

However, for Malifaux or Warmachine, I would prefer that minis were painted to a better standard than this and I am yet to organise a pricing schedule.

*You can make a living from this, the only problem I have experienced is clients not paying on time. The $1500 for the goblins took around 6 weeks to materialise, even though I was on schedule and regularly updated the fellow.

Edited by AvatarForm

You can make a living from this, the only problem I have experienced is clients not paying on time. The $1500 for the goblins took around 6 weeks to materialise, even though I was on schedule and regularly updated the fellow.

It's fairly normal amongst sculptors to ask for a third of the agreed upon sum up front, a third at half-done, and a third on delivery. I don't know if that would fly with your clients, but you might consider adopting a similar policy.

I do it on the side as a third piece of income but it mostly just pays for my gaming hobby. I tend not to fill up all my free time with painting and as such take very few contracts. Usually just enough so that I can finish a batch of 20-30 models a month at table quality with a hero or elite unit thrown in there with the nicer paint job.

Personally I can't see doing it as my primary profession. I make far too much money being an x-ray tech and I need the benefits for my family. A painting job could not initially provide anything for health insurance and it's pretty much a bust should something happen to my motor skills or hands. As is I can be compensated for any injuries or unforseen mental disorders (parkenson's/stroke/etc.) in addition to unemployment/disability pay.

Sounds like a mouthfull there but if you can at least cover your health insurance say if your spouse had you insured through their job then it's doable. In fact if you plan on having children it's ideal because you could stay at home like many graphic designers/artists and work while taking time to watch the kids. It takes a strong work ethic though. If you want to test yourself try painting up your own stuff. Seriously set a deadline for yourself say 35 soul stones worth of models to be done in a week at better than table top quality, packed & ready to go with full basing. If you can do that and be serious about making deadlines then you may have found your line of work sir. And I say "may" because there are so many other head aches with it:

Unreasonable clients- changes their mind every day about a project or wants every model to look golden demon awesome in their 200 model army

How much should I charge for my work- seriously think about it and make sure you don't come out at less than minium wage not being able to make your bills.

Overhead- look at what it takes to paint models. Paint, primer, brushes, glue, sealer, basing supplies, painting area, good lighting, comfortable chair & table so that you do not hurt your back, and shipping and handling (you know boxes to put stuff in and packing materal and a place to ship it with postage). It adds up and you need to find a way to cut your costs so that you can make a profit.

Shipping- Yeah as is how do you plan to get your product to your place of work and then back to the client without the product being lost or damaged. And do so being able to track your orders. And what day do you ship? Unless you use a service where the delivery guy can pick up a package where you work then you might need to go somewhere to ship it and that requires a vehicle with insurance that you should see if you can write off on your taxes.

Organization- yep you need to be able to do invoices, keep track of expenses, keep different clients models from mixing up, taxes (yes I said taxes because the IRS will eventually come a knocking), and your time. Might also want to look into whether or not you need a business liscence at some point.

Lastly yourself- There are things that are you. You need time away from work, time to do your life. Some things are big and come to mind when you first read it like vacation and painting your own models. Other things don't come to mind like setting a time in the day to start work and to stop work. You know clock in clock out and have time to do little things like eat and sleep or talk to your significant other. That doesn't mean there won't be crunch times but every day should not be crunch time once you get into an adjusted routine.

If you do it and it's for you then I envy you. To be your own boss and be free knowing that the money your bring home was completely earned by you and is not the table scraps from some "job" or career. Not to say I don't like my jobs as I do get to help people and that makes me feel good about myself. Just that it would be nice to be self employed and free.

Edited by Harliquine

Chev, make a trip up to Lewisville one Saturday and go paint with the pros at Reaper Miniatures. They have a full time painter, and a plethora of commission painters that meet up there every Saturday from 12 to 4.

Call and make sure that Anne and John are going to be there before you make the drive, suck to drive all that way and miss them.