Papa "Go"go" obey x3 yes please

TimeLapse

So with the adding of another possible obey in the Perdita family one has to look at the possibilities that entails. Now if you at any time in the game were lucky enough to pull 2 high mask cards you could send Papa from one side of the table to the other and have him blow up before your opponent has a chance to think.

The list in its simple form

Perdita

Enslaved Totem

Mama

Papa

If you can see models to claim to charge them then loco moves 8 inches per obey instead of 5.

Okay first you companion them all using the normal companion rules.

Then you activate mama and use her obey to move loco.

Then you move the totem and cast obey again moving loco.

Then perdita moves into range and casts obey one last time Papa moves again.

Then papa activates and either dose a take you all with me or moves and does a take you all with me.

Total movement 20-29 inches then boom. It’s allot of movement and cards but it’s possible to do now with three obey spells in one list.

This also might work well with other models, like nino.

First Nino and moves to get a target, then casts In my sights and if he still has AP makes a shoot(s)

Then you obey him 3 more times to get 3 more shoots.

Or use it on the executioner to get him into combat before he activates, that way his lack of melee expert won’t be a problem. You can also use obey on him to get "Last rites" off or of corse a free charge.

What you can do with obey is endless, and that includes using your opponents models but its use on your own yield better results in my book.

Anyone else have any intresting obey based tactics?

-Andrew

Edited by TimeLapse

Excellent ideas, I've been thinking about the possibilities myself, but just with Perdita and the Totem...

One way to take the risk out of the Obeys is to use the Duel Obeys on a Peacekeeper (I assume you can do this?) - only 1 of the 2 Obeys will need a High Mask, and the Peacekeeper's extra move should give it a 15" move before any APs are used!

I've also been thinking of it's uses for Santiago - with all thoes Obeys I can see him easily regaining all his wounds in 1 turn, or perhaps moving him 8/12" into the enemy before Leadstorming...

Here is one

Take the Executioner. Use Grandma to make him family. Activate an Ortega family death strike(IE use companion on Executioner, Perdita, Grandma and Neph).

Obey the Executioner into position to attack(Two free walks and maybe a charge). And then activate him while he is melee with whatever you want dead.

Also works well with Fransisco but the Executioner tends to be slower then him and needs the help getting close.

Also Obey x 3 on Nino. A minimum 5 shots a round.

I've also been thinking of it's uses for Santiago - with all thoes Obeys I can see him easily regaining all his wounds in 1 turn,

Why would you want to do something like that. Heck one of my first actions turn one is to always shoot Santiago myself and do 4 wounds to him. The free walk, and the combat bonuses are way worth being down a few wounds.

If you are using your master to Obey, you aren't using it to kill stuff. While doing 5 shots is cool, it also renders your master, your best guy on the board to support another unit instead of killing themselves which your master is best at. And if your master isn't killing anything, they won't be able to keep up with your opponents master who will be wiping the board.

If you are using your master to Obey, you aren't using it to kill stuff. While doing 5 shots is cool, it also renders your master, your best guy on the board to support another unit instead of killing themselves which your master is best at. And if your master isn't killing anything, they won't be able to keep up with your opponents master who will be wiping the board.

Well it depends on the game, some times it is better for perdita to get Nino to shoot long range, I have a few games where his 16 inches and his CB 9 was key in killing a high risk enamy that was deployed in the open before it was able to even activate.

Its just an option, I also played a game where i sent papa loco into a groop of Steampunk Abominations and kill them before the had a chance to form the Desolation engine at a starting spot 20 inches away.

The fist couple of times you use it will cetch your opponet off guard untill he gets use to the fact that you can hit him from far away then he/she has to ajust his tactics and any time you can force your opponet to hide models when moveing or deploying the more control you have over her/him you gain the upper hand.

If they have to react to you then you can lay traps and dictate where he moves or doesnt move eather way obey can have a hudge impact on the table.

Edited by TimeLapse

I completely agree - while 'Obey' is indeed situational - it lets you use a AP from a minion which has potential to cause more damage than the single shot from Perdita.

Like's already been mentioned - a 5" move for Papa Loco to allow him to get close enough to detinate his massive 6dmg, or Nino with his 16" 9cb and ignore cover. Perhaps you want to pull Santiago out of charge range from a close combat beast he didn't manage to kill?

Yeah and adding the fact that they are linked by compaion alows you to obey x3 then actavte making them have 5 actions in a turn or posably up to 4 charges. or in Nino's way activate then obey since in my sights is awesome. The possablies are endless, thats what makes it such a good tool, its flexable and can be used on an enamy, its really simply the most useful spell the guild has IMHO, and makes the family play differnt then any other list.

Hate to rain on the parade here but how about I use a doppleganger to win the iniative flip, activate zoriada, obey your loco via a voodoo doll, set off "take ya with me", do 6 damage on all your nearby models and 6 wounds on loco who then dies when he activates in the first turn via two wounds from poison, setting off another explosion for 3 more damage (iirc) around him. Bwh ha ha ha ha ha.....

You'll see it in action on Monday Mike :)

Edited by magicpockets

dont forget hamelin in merc format, you can obey papa 4 times now.

Yeah but Hamelin gets expensive. And as for the threat of Zoriada. That's why I never take Papa when going against Neverborn.

I think everyone covered Rainters response but I will add in. Perdita gets 3 actions a turn. Obey is an 18" range spell I believe. So she can easily move up, take a shot and still obey Nino to shoot as well.

Nino long range, high CB shot(with the potential of triggering more shots with a Mask) can be well worth more then one shot from Perdita.

Hate to rain on the parade here but how about I use a doppleganger to win the iniative flip, activate zoriada, obey your loco via a voodoo doll, set off "take ya with me", do 6 damage on all your nearby models and 6 wounds on loco who then dies when he activates in the first turn via two wounds from poison, setting off another explosion for 3 more damage (iirc) around him. Bwh ha ha ha ha ha.....

You'll see it in action on Monday Mike :)

Well in that case you deploy papa loco somewhere where he is not in line of sight. seems simple enough to me, also you dont ever deploy papa loco with in 6 inches of your own models, then his take you with me wont be able to hurt the famlily. Its is vary simple to counter Zora.

1st deploy out of line of sight, next obey him around the building or forest he is hidding behind, then obey him out towards something and have him go Take you all with me x2 on his own actvation. Zora will not have a chance to use voodoo dolls on him. You can also keep him out of line of sight and stike when the best target is in range. Zoras long range is good but with spell breaker and other famliy members with wp 8 they are going to hard to control.

-Andrew

Edited by TimeLapse

Well in that case you deploy papa loco somewhere where he is not in line of sight. seems simple enough to me, also you dont ever deploy papa loco with in 6 inches of your own models, then his take you with me wont be able to hurt the famlily. Its is vary simple to counter Zora.

1st deploy out of line of sight, next obey him around the building or forest he is hidding behind, then obey him out towards something and have him go Take you all with me x2 on his own actvation. Zora will not have a chance to use voodoo dolls on him. You can also keep him out of line of sight and stike when the best target is in range. Zoras long range is good but with spell breaker and other famliy members with wp 8 they are going to hard to control.

-Andrew

Exactly, and I've just made you spend all your time trying to keep a model out of los of my master instead of winning the game. That's the often unappreciated power of Zoriada's voodoo doll skill :)

Also, you seem to be planning like you get all of your activations without me getting the chance to have a go at him myself. I know you get companion(family) but don't you have to be within 6 inches, which you've said you never are?

Also, obey needs los and only has a 12" range, going to be hard to get loco across the board out of los of my crew - esp with Zoriada's 20" movement.

Also, as for beating their WP8 (loco is only wp4), don't forget Zoriada is ca7, gets a +ive flip for cast against voodoo doll targeted models, can try to cast it 3 times in an activation, and has soulstones to power it up - it's going to go off ;)

There's some crews I worry about playing against, family isn't one of them :P

Exactly, and I've just made you spend all your time trying to keep a model out of los of my master instead of winning the game. That's the often unappreciated power of Zoriada's voodoo doll skill :)

Your strategy fails to take into account your opponent. They only need to keep him out of your LOS for one phase. Once they get theirs off, you better be a long way away.

Plus, noone takes Papa in a fixed list situation, when Neverborn are sure to be around.

TimeLapse, I like the way you think. Will be keeping en eye out for your future posts on Ortega strategy.

Your strategy fails to take into account your opponent. They only need to keep him out of your LOS for one phase. Once they get theirs off, you better be a long way away.

Plus, noone takes Papa in a fixed list situation, when Neverborn are sure to be around.

TimeLapse, I like the way you think. Will be keeping en eye out for your future posts on Ortega strategy.

I totally get that, my point is it's going to be hard to keep Loco out of LOS for the first turn. Don't forget I can obey your other family models to then obey loco, which means he needs to stay out of my LOS and his own crew's.

Plus, loco has got to get within my los (prob via your obey) at some point before he activates so he has the AP's to detonate. I can then walk him away/blow him up if needed.

Anyway, it's all academic - I'm happy to play anyone to find out :)

Now, take austringer and judge. Granny ortega gives austringer companion. Use 3x obeys to push judge far enough, maybe even charge someone. activate austringer last. Use his deliver orders to immediately activate judge. If it's casting master, there is a high chance judge will kill him/her, and almost guaranteed to kill anyone else in one activation.

Now, take austringer and judge. Granny ortega gives austringer companion. Use 3x obeys to push judge far enough, maybe even charge someone. activate austringer last. Use his deliver orders to immediately activate judge. If it's casting master, there is a high chance judge will kill him/her, and almost guaranteed to kill anyone else in one activation.

Very nice :D

• 2 weeks later...
I totally get that, my point is it's going to be hard to keep Loco out of LOS for the first turn. Don't forget I can obey your other family models to then obey loco, which means he needs to stay out of my LOS and his own crew's.

Plus, loco has got to get within my los (prob via your obey) at some point before he activates so he has the AP's to detonate. I can then walk him away/blow him up if needed.

Anyway, it's all academic - I'm happy to play anyone to find out :)

The only models that have obey are Immune to Influence, so you will not be obeying my models to obey another.

But in this situation papa is great I companion papa, mama, perdita and her totem in one turn, If I have the cards, and obey, obey, obey and then activate papa before you have a chance to activate anything. so there would be no point will papa be somewhere for you to obey.

Next Conduit is a game effect, so perdita could end it with spell breaker that has 18 inches of range and no resist. If I break your spell you would have to either get your doll with in 10" of me or you have to spend two AP to summon a new one to witch I would just try to dispel it again. And since conduit also says “it may only effect one model at a time” it is effecting my model so shrug off would work against the conduit as well.

if Zora has removed shrug off before hand with Hex, then there is always spell breaker to fix them up from both conduit and hex if needed.

No the hag should fear the Ortaga clan more then any other list because the clan has nothing to worry about form her.

-Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Conduit is an effect on the doll, can't be shrugged off. And you're going to obey loco across the whole board.....what's the range on obey again? And you've got to love a strategy built on "if I have the cards" - my plan is to buy a Ferrari, if I have the lottery numbers :D

Edited by magicpockets