Viktoria's secrets - newbie Q

Demus

So I'm thinking of playing Viktoria's mostly for the nice painting opportunities.

But I want to have at least a little playability to them. We're starting with 25ss scraps to learn the rules etc and this is my intended starting line-up:

Viktoria(s)

Student of conflict

Misaki

2xRonin

5ss

=25ss

This is what I would like to paint (got to love those girls!) and hopefully can use in my first games. What say you?

Straight up - you can miss the student - his main ability is an (all) which means with a melee crew you might get 1 or 2 uses...

Second, Misaki is a bit meh without a good hand. adding a convict gunsliger is a must though!

At 25SS i run 2 Ronin, Convict, Taelor, 2 SS.

Lots of hitting power and durability

I don't have much to chip in, I just wanted to say the title of your post made me laugh!

For what it's worth, the Viks do lack in ranged support, and they're not especially tough so unless you can keep them in cover, prepare to burn all your stones keeping them alive until melee is joined. Taelor is solid, the lassie's a bloody tank! Ronin are great too, and their harmless can keep them safe although their ranged attacks are pretty meh. A Convict is a great choice, he'll make sure the enemy has a more immediate threat to deal with while your Viks close for the kill.

Beans is right. Add Taelor. She really is a bloody tank.

You might even consider Johann. a lot of his abilities might be basically unused in this crew, but he hits just as hard as Taelor.

Personally, I'd keep Misaki. That Wind trick (6" melee range!) is great. You can effectively have her provide fire support to models in melee without having to worry about random targeting.

Just my 2 cents.

With that thread title, by the way, I'm picturing the Vics in a couple of Colette's outfits. :D

Edited by Gremlin Swarm

Taelor got insanely good with the new release of the constructs and spirits. She has a magical weapon to beat spirits and the shatter trigger and ignore armor for constructs. Plus min damage 3 Cb 7 and 3 range with melee expert is nasty upon itself. She's finally worth a look over taking the usual as many Ronin as you can take as well as some other units from the book 2.

Thinking of buying Viktorias box, ronins, Taelor and maybe the convict gunslinger.

So thanks again :)

Well, Taelor is one of the starter crew, so with the box, the 3 Ronin and Gunslinger you've got it pretty much done.

Later you might even get Hamelin or some of the Freikorps (the Librarian fits fantastic with the Viks, imo), but that's another story...

Well, Taelor is one of the starter crew, so with the box, the 3 Ronin and Gunslinger you've got it pretty much done.

Later you might even get Hamelin or some of the Freikorps (the Librarian fits fantastic with the Viks, imo), but that's another story...

Doh! What I was supposed to say was that I will buy the Viktoria box, Ronins, Misaki and the gunslinger...

sorry about that.

+1 on the above suggestions for Taelor and the Convict. Taelor adds a little bit of durability and solid a beat stick to the crew, while the Convict adds some ranged support to the very melee-heavy crew.

With the viki's I like to leave myself 7 or 8 soulstones if i can. You are basically running 2 capable fighters that can use stones for defense to avoid taking hits, or to slaughter things. Lastly, play on boards with some terrain they can use for cover. Malifaux generally should be played with a generous amount of terrain anyway. Enjoy the vikis...

I want to try out 2 Freikorps Librarian, very low relative cost for a +2 control hand fix, not to mention decent casting.

Arcane Reservoir is an ongoing effect, so will not stack: ie. you only get one extra card even when you have two Librarians.

Also, you do realize that you are forced to discard one card each turn for each Librarian, right? (Unless of course you fancy your models paralyzed.)

Including a Librarian really is more like Liliths Rush of Magic than a normal Arcane Reservoir.

Straight up - you can miss the student - his main ability is an (all) which means with a melee crew you might get 1 or 2 uses...

I tend to run 3 Ronin, Convict, Student + 7 stones in a 30 point list. Sometimes swapping out the Student for Taelor with a few more points (or dropping a Ronin).

You usually need 3 stones to pull off Another One?, as the casting usually needs a soulstone. I tend to use Ronin to soften up targets before the Viks charge in, but even with Hard to Kill you can lose them, before you get the chance to Sepuku or Another One? so I need at least 2 and prefer to run 3 if possible.

Sometimes the Student gets left behind, as when she gives fast she can't take any other actions, but used with the Viks teleporting ability you can get a few uses out of her. I have learnt to start the Student as far forward as possible in my deployment zone to allow for her lower Walk. As I will be holding the Viks back (in cover) rather than trying to get a turn 2 charge they are not to far back when I am ready to move the Viks and the extra action can be really useful.

In some scenarios the Student can be well worth it.

For instance in Treasure Hunt you can use a first activation combination of Fast, Companion and Sisters in Spirit to get one of the Viks over 23" (or pick up a token up to about 18") away from your deployment.

More than once the Student has manged to take the last wound off a model, so she isn't completely useless in melee. And she can also be useful to carry the treasure counter once retrieved, rather than tieing up a more expensive model.