Book Three Tease?

Svenn

If I recall correctly, in the D6G interview, Eric mentioned that Book 3 would be coming much sooner than next year's GenCon, and that it would contain all of the special forces stuff that couldn't fit into Book 2.

Also, yes, I will sell my soul for beta testing. It's a bit used Wyrd, but I think you could make pretty good use of it.

I think depending on if the book has some other things not elite forces related:

Guild could use about three more models. Maybe a named Guard, a generic guard, and some other Ryle like special construct thing. The Guild is in one of the best positions since guardsmen will probably be added in every book, Special Force related or not, as it is one of their mini-themes. I could see Guard snipers in the future.

Molly needs the most I think since she got one model compared to everyone else. I would say maybe 6 models. I would like to see the addition of another Belle, named or otherwise. Maybe 3 more small to mid level generics then a mid-level named, and another monster like the rogue.

Kaeris I think would be ok with maybe 2 M&SU members, maybe a 5 point trooper and another Joss level named. Then 2 M&SU assests, along the same vein, a higher end unique and maybe another gun smith level trooper.

Collodi needs probably about as much help as Molly, but I am not sure what I would do for him. He needs a big hitter, then maybe like three more low to mid level guys as he seems to be more of a swarm style guy. Maybe a doll swarm to finish it off.

I think maybe three more Freikscorp. A unique for flavor, maybe a explosives demolish kind of guy and lastly Melee kind of guy.

Finally I think all Ophelia really needs is a Unique pig in a sombrero to represent Grandma Ortega

Book 1 models are nearly complete, and they have a decent head start on Book 2 already. I would anticipate Book 3 would be Jan-Feb at the earliest which leaves a couple of months of unannounced releases before then.

As for rules issues, do you specifically mean errata or unclear wordings? I am of the opinion that errata is never complete as it is the primary means of rebalancing (and as more rules are added more rebalancing is needed.) Unclear wordings would be nice to have official rulings. One of the players in my playgroup suggested that they get a M:tG player to peruse the rules to figure out all the timing issues.

Book 3...?

I'm still looking forward to the rest of the book 2 releases (namely, the nightmares). They did mention book three was going to cover special forces, and that's great news. Does any one else think, though, that molly shouldn't really get that many new models? In the fluff, she's with seamus all the time. I can't really see her running her own crew. Also, I don't like the idea of "rounding out" the current henchmen in book three. Certain henchmen work a certain way, and giving each of them models to fit into a certain slot (5ss cost, heavy hitter, etc.) gives malifaux less of a unique feel to me. Each model is unique, and I've gotten the idea that each crew should be unique as well.

As of right now the only unreleased book 1 model is the Hooded rider. Book two of course has a bunch but my bet is those are getting cranked out pretty quickly.

As far as a new main rule book, I would say don't hold your breath. My bet is Wyrd is going to want to put the Special Forces book out and then one more book(with the Avatar rules I suspect) after that. That will be another years worth of material to mature the line before they go back and do a Malifaux 2.0 book.

Book 3...?

I'm still looking forward to the rest of the book 2 releases (namely, the nightmares). They did mention book three was going to cover special forces, and that's great news. Does any one else think, though, that molly shouldn't really get that many new models? In the fluff, she's with seamus all the time. I can't really see her running her own crew. Also, I don't like the idea of "rounding out" the current henchmen in book three. Certain henchmen work a certain way, and giving each of them models to fit into a certain slot (5ss cost, heavy hitter, etc.) gives malifaux less of a unique feel to me. Each model is unique, and I've gotten the idea that each crew should be unique as well.

There are a lot of common themes that run through the box sets. Zoraida even got Bad Juju as a heavy hitter even though she is the mistress of manipulation and he has Immune to Influence. I feel like there is plenty of leeway to play around with things, but the game is to diverse to not allow people to have options. If a Henchman can not compete as a Master then it is sort of just taking up space.

If they are going to be releasing new books before a revised rule book, I would like to see all current errata and FAQ printed in each one. Sure, it's easy to print it from the website but to be honest, IMO at least, if they insist upon such a multi-layered style of rules (which I do like) they should take more time to play test new books before releasing them.

Even in the family game market, where rules are much simpler, games are given much more time to play test. Unfortunately, the adventure game industry seems reluctant to take more time to do this even though adventure games really need it (of course, that could be because us gamers want new goodies, and we want them now! lol)

(of course, that could be because us gamers want new goodies, and we want them now! lol)

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it.

I mean, look at the thread you're posting in. Book 2 came out TWO WEEKS AGO and the top thread in the main forum is anticipating the release of book 3.

People are impatient in general, and gamers more so. And they also have this strange inclination that if a game isn't constantly supported with new stuff, then it dies. Which is true, but only because it is an entirely self fulfilling prophecy.

If they are going to be releasing new books before a revised rule book, I would like to see all current errata and FAQ printed in each one. Sure, it's easy to print it from the website but to be honest, IMO at least, if they insist upon such a multi-layered style of rules (which I do like) they should take more time to play test new books before releasing them.

Even in the family game market, where rules are much simpler, games are given much more time to play test. Unfortunately, the adventure game industry seems reluctant to take more time to do this even though adventure games really need it (of course, that could be because us gamers want new goodies, and we want them now! lol)

I agree that if book 3 is just going to be book 2a then they could put all the current errata as an appendix in the back.

You know, I really hope they release a full rulebook when they're done with these expansions. All the rules, updated with the errata, in one rulebook. They could probably do a full book of just ALL the rules, and a full book of just ALL the fluff. I'd buy them both. :)