Thoughts on Book 2 (spoilers on models)

wrabbit37

Quick thoughts about the Neverborn models. Just got my book yesterday and finally got a chance to look over the finalized rules for everything. A little background on me as a player – I favor Lilith and the Old Hag as my favorites. I actually dislike playing Pandora, mostly because I find her playstyle pretty boring. She does all the heavy lifting, and the rest of the crew just sits around.

Also, I did manage to play this stuff in the beta test, so I have some experience using them. At least in their non-finalized versions. By and large, that experience should carry over.

So, without further adieu, the new models:

Dreamer/Lord Chompy Bits – I love this master. I love the teleportation aspect to him, and the mass movement you can get with him. Being able to have a model on one side of the board suddenly disappear and reappear on the other side of the board is a nice surprise. Good for scenarios as well as you can move your models around as you need to. Lord Chompy Bits is insane in melee, but he’s fragile, so make sure you don’t try to strike the entire opposing army with him. Just hit the outlying pieces, and then disappear again. The Dreamer’s decently well defended if you’re careful with him.

Daydream – The totem for the Dreamer is pretty much what you’d want. He helps get you out of a bind if your burying/unburying mechanic needs a boost. Overall, not absolutely necessary for the Dreamer, but he’s a decent boost. He does have a 12” ranged attack, though, which is something we don’t generally get a lot of in Neverborn.

Collodi and Marionette – I admit I don’t really like our Henchman that much, but mostly because there’s a lack of support for him at the moment. On the other hand, his fluff is awesome and I can’t want to see what the model looks like. The special forces feels like it’s going to be a swarm if the Marionette and Wicked Doll are any indication.

Alp – Our cheap nightmare model to match our Terror Tots and our Sorrows. He’s a nice control piece, not doing a lot of damage but stacking up some nice slow effects.

Black Blood Shaman – The Nephilim sorcerer type. Makes growing a little easier by getting a bit more blood, and can use spells to boost your other Nephilim. Also, he’s a graverobber and can fuel his own spells with corpses as well as blood. I like him a lot, and look forward to trying him in Lilith lists.

Coppelius – This guy’s just fun on a bun. A solid 10 wound model (though 9 stones) who can cause Willpower checks whenever he steals someone’s eye. Which he does a lot. He has a spell that essentially creates a check or the opponent falls back. He gets an eye if he does that. Whenever he gets an eye, living models within 3” must WP check or fall back. If anyone loses a Moral Duel within 4” of him, they take 3 wounds in addition to falling back. A whole wonderful chain of terror. Oh, and he’s terrifying.

Insidious Madness – Another ranged attack for Neverborn, but again with little damage. More slow-stuff though. He can make people who are falling back have to continue to test against WP in order to rally rather than automatically doing it. Things need to succeed in WP duels when attacking it or they get penalties. It can target WP instead of DF with its weapon. All in all, a great model for Pandora to stack in more WP checks, and not that expensive either.

Lelu – One of the two Nephilim siblings, this guy’s essentially a vampire. He can bite you and heal what damage he deals. He deals 2 damage to a single model around him at the close phase, no resist. He’s got poisoned claws and is a really solid fighter.

Lilitu – The sister of the pair, she’s got Lure and 4” reach. She’s kinda the opposite of her brother. She can heal a single model that starts within 2” of her 2 wounds. She can summon a Lelu out of another Nephilim, similar to Lelu summoning another Lilitu out of another Nephilim (and some blood). They both start dying pretty quickly if there’s not their counterpart on the table.

Nekima, the Dark Sibling – Ah, Malifaux’s Revenge. Clocking in at 13 soulstones, I think we’ve found the most expensive model in the game, and man, she’s good. Not quite as much damage as a Mature, but more reach and more abilities to stack off your other Nephilim. Makes it easier to Grow and Mature, heals nearby Nephilim, carries a greatsword, is Instinctual and a Melee Expert, and has a trigger going off every time she hits with her weapon. Plus, the art is just really cool.

Stitched Together – These guys are a lot of fun. They’re a decent price, and can really help with card advantage if you’re willing to risk a little. Ditch a card and there’s a chance your opponent will have to ditch one while you draw two. Got an okay damage spell too. Probably better to use that than his melee weapon most times given he’s better at casting and has a better range with it.

Wicked Doll – A replacement for Voodoo Dolls if you like. Plus, it doesn’t ditch any Voodoo Dolls or other Wicked Dolls you’ve got out there if you summon it. Overall it’s hard to hit but easy to kill, and has a few fun tricks. It can summon more of itself if it kills anything, and can blow up to do a little damage to something near it. For a free summon, it’s probably worth it.

So that’s all I have for the moment. I’d love to hear if anyone else has any thoughts on these guys.

Edited by wrabbit37

wow, could you do this kind of write up for the other factions? There is a serious lack of information out there right now :worship:

I can do my best. I don't know the other factions quite as well as Neverborn, so I'll try. Which one is yours? I'll start with that one next.

Nekima, the Dark Sibling – Ah, Malifaux’s Revenge. Clocking in at 13 soulstones, I think we’ve found the most expensive model in the game, and man, she’s good. Not quite as much damage as a Mature, but more reach and more abilities to stack off your other Nephilim. Makes it easier to Grow and Mature, heals nearby Nephilim, carries a greatsword, is Instinctual and a Melee Expert, and has a trigger going off every time she hits with her weapon. Plus, the art is just really cool.

Does she still add masks to the cast of all nephiim If so sfe make an combo with the cherb and the terror tot, the tot sprints forwards a between 15' to 25' then the chreb swaps the terrortot and Nekima/mature around where it smashes the nearist model to peaces ^_^

Does she still add masks to the cast of all nephiim If so sfe make an combo with the cherb and the terror tot, the tot sprints forwards a between 15' to 25' then the chreb swaps the terrortot and Nekima/mature around where it smashes the nearist model to peaces ^_^

As a (0) she can add a Mask to all Nephilim within 6", to one of their stats (WP, CA, DF, CB).

As a (0) she can add a Mask to all Nephilim within 6", to one of their stats (WP, CA, DF, CB).

Now that is freaking brutal! You can use it to auto-trigger flay, sprint your terror tots 10-15" per AP, or (IIRC) grow them more easily. I anticipate more than a few people trying Nekima plus a horde of terror tots. :D

:( damn, oh well, i sppose 3 reliable transpositions a turn would be just a tad unfair... on the note of blood counters, does the blood shaman generate bloodcounters in a similar way to mortimer producing corpse counters? I'm just wondering if its going to be worth taking yong nephilim, i mean, sure, nikam is expensive, but if she lets you grow about 3-4 terror tots reliabley then i think shed definitely show her worth, even before the killing begins :D Edited by ilikepizza

Now that is freaking brutal! You can use it to auto-trigger flay, sprint your terror tots 10-15" per AP, or (IIRC) grow them more easily. I anticipate more than a few people trying Nekima plus a horde of terror tots. :D

+4cas to all nepililm casting grow as well ^_^

wait (sorry about doble post) lilith counts as a nephilim, does that mean nekima can give her a mask onto her casting stat so she can reliably ast transposition three times in one turn?(!)

4 times don't forget the chreb, that's a nepilim as well ^_^

Seems there's a bit of interest in Nekima, so I'll talk a bit more about her. She's got the WK/CH, HT, WP and DF of a Mature, two more wounds, and two less cast without the (Mask). She has 3" reach with a 1 better CB and 3/4/6 damage.

She's got no Armor, but she does have Regeneration and gives it to all Nephilim around her. She gives Nephilim +4 when trying to Grow or Mature. She gains blood whenever any living/Undead model is killed within 3" of her, regardless of whether she's doing the killing. She can move towards anyone nearby that killed a Nephilim. She Flies, you've got to beat her in a WP->WP duel to target her, and she debuffs enemy WP when they're defending (doesn't stack with the WP->WP duel, though, since enemies are not defending in that instance).

Her Greatsword gives the normal (+) to damage as well as giving any suit to the duel's total. That helps with her four triggers, ensuring that one of them goes off each turn. She's got Lilith's Bloody Fate, the Mature's Rip in Half, and then two others, one that tosses models and does more damage if they hit terrain, and another that pushes the target closer to other Nephilim.

She's a melee expert and instinctual. She can take four wounds to gain a blood token (the Shaman can do this too) as a (0). Her other (0)s are to give a Non-Master nephilim Flight, to give all non-Master Nephilim a (Mask) added to their WP, CA, DF or CB within 6", or to be able to spill hers or another Nephilim's blood in order to trigger black-blood on enemies nearby at a 2-for-1 rate with a cap at 6 wounds to the Nephilim.

Overall, she's pretty solid, but she's still fragile. Twelve wounds is hefty, but only 4 DF and no Armor to protect her means she's not going to be shrugging off a lot of hits. Irresistible helps some with the WP checks, and she's got a solid WP to protect herself, but a few solid hits will still crack her. Don't expect to be able to throw her up to the front and survive anything that hits her.

no worries about her being fragile, i'm sure all of us neverborn players will just use the same way of getting matures into cc with nikam, grow wood, fly behind wood diving charge over wood :D

with a 13" combat range on the charge (10 plus 3 inh sword) I'm sure shell be fine, plus, you can always fly 3 times melee expert, transpose, throw in earthquakes etc...

but she sounds like alot of fun (which she orta be if shes costing 13 ss!)

@wrabbit37-you said she gets blood counters whenever a living or undead model is killed within 3". What if a living or undead model is killed within 3" but another nephilim uses drain blood? do they both get a counter or just the neph who drains blood?

also, could you tell us a little about the black blood shaman, i just like the idea of it, being a lilith player, the idea of a model dedicated to a support role is strange-unless ive got the wrong end of the stick here

Edited by ilikepizza

do people not find it a bit 'wyrd' (sorry, couldn't resist :P) that Nikam has more synergy with nephilim than their actual master??

I'm just going to guess that this is because this book was written (obviously) after the first one so they had more time to develop ideas like alot of nikam's abilities that were mentioned.

do people not find it a bit 'wyrd' (sorry, couldn't resist :P) that Nikam has more synergy with nephilim than their actual master??

I'm just going to guess that this is because this book was written (obviously) after the first one so they had more time to develop ideas like alot of nikam's abilities that were mentioned.

A Little, I would love lilith to fly like other nepilim (I gave lilith has the wings of a chreb)

That and the regeration abilty that Nikam has as well as her to be terrifying

But i know that asking for a lot and she is all ready a very powerful master