Corpse Tokens

rozendoo

I'm still gathering all the stuff I need to play, but figured I'd ask something. Do most people just use cardboard counters to represent the corpses for Nic and company, or should I use models of dead bodies for this sort of thing? I know they are refered to as corpse counters, but can miniatures be used instead?

I'm still gathering all the stuff I need to play, but figured I'd ask something. Do most people just use cardboard counters to represent the corpses for Nic and company, or should I use models of dead bodies for this sort of thing? I know they are refered to as corpse counters, but can miniatures be used instead?

I think the only strict rule is these counters should be 30mm in diameter (either on a 30mm base or just cut them out like that).

Practically speaking, you may run out of "bodies" pretty quick. Consider some models drop 2~3 counters when they die, on the top of that you'll dig one or two every now and then with Mortimer... it's not impossible to have 15~20 counters on the table.

Also note how quickly Nico creates Mindless Zombies. Both kills with Decay and with his cane ceate Zombies rather than counters. You'll be creating more Zombies than counters at first (of course Zombies count as counters but...). Only after your other models get into combat you'll start dropping counters, but even then you'll be casting Arise when you need.

I have bought only 3 Mindless Zombies with my initial Nico crew and it's too few. I need to get at least another 3, maybe even 6.

Edited by Q'iq'el

I have used some Black Cat skull base inserts (left over from Hell Dorado basing) and also Black Cat have some solide white metal cast counters for both Corpse and Scrap Counters - currently being painted. All use 30mm bases and are fairly 2D to allow stacking.

The corpse counters have to be stackable? I usually spread a 50mm 3 bases around that location, are they supposed to stack? I was going to use a kit from wargames factory called "Zombie horde", tons of bits, lots of zombies for cheap. I mean they are just counters after all. I planned to use alot of the parts for coprse counters, however they wouldn't stack and just looking for a rule clarification

Edited by Dark_Trainer

These are what I have been using and they look great on the board. A good friend and member of my gaming group (lordfishbane) made them for me. I'm pretty sure he cast them out of plaster.

I really haven't run into an issue of not being able to stack them and negatively effecting the flow of the game.

Dozer

DessertTerrainBoard.jpg

I think once they are being carried you can place them on the card or some other obvious identifier as to who is holding them and get them off the table if you wanted too.

Actually not. As it is, the rulebook is very clear they have to lie on the table, near the model that carries them (first sentence on the page 25).

I suppose you can house-rule it for convenience and keep the counters on the model cards, but it may have some adverse effects (not that I can think of any at the moment, but I might have missed some rules).

Well, everyone's responses have been very helpful... and I had no idea there was a rule about stackability! Maybe I'll just glue some pictures to the tops of 30mm bases, although I had imagined putting a few old Mage Knight figures under the blade to decorate them. Maybe I'll split the difference and use pictures with some small bits of MK figures to add detail without making the base too unstackable.

Well, if you want to keep with the game's rules and make them stackable, I'd say just decorate half of your counters. Make a few as ornate and awesome as you want, and for a three counter stack, put it on top of two other ones. Or, if you keep the counters having a nice flat spot, just use a die or some jewels to mark how many counters a base represents.

• 1 month later...
You could always just decorate a few then use some flat, undecorated counters to stack beneath them. Basically just use the decorated one to top of the stack and make it look pretty.

13475380.png

Now that's a good idea! Use scenic counters for singletons and swap them out for blanks when you need to stack 'em. It might be a good idea to color-code the blanks so you can tell which are which if a character is holding different types of markers.

I just use different colored glass baubles. I use red ones for corpse counters (not blood because I am loyal to my dead homies) and I use clear-blue ones for soulstones.

I didn't know they had to stack, they are small enough that I can just make a little pile of them wherever I need them.

I used to play Pokemon a lot as a wee tot, so I just kept 'em.