Malifaux RPG a possibility?

Well, you'd probably have to insist that characters were from the same faction, which isn't really asking a lot of the players. Just because you're a part of one faction doesn't mean you have to subscribe to their every ideal. I don't know, when I run games, stopping players from hating each other on sight is high on my list of things to do (if they hate each other based on personality, that is acceptable).

not a rpg player, but Id assume that if one makes a rpg based on a background of a miniature game involving (obviously) factions.. the most interesting approach would be leaving the factions for the miniature game. ?

not people having completely no association with the factions, just turning it less black and white.

a Gold hunter/digger, recently joining the miners and steamfitters union could easily venture out together with a budding guild conscript.. in the end looking at malifaux background it would fit best if the players start out from the same starting point... they just arrived by train in malifaux, their future wide open and the existence of the warring factions just a small rumor they heard. instead of a typical class/job system they arrive in malifaux with a character built on talent, ambition and "morality" and during the sessions moving towards their destiny (wich usually involves mcmournings operating table anyway :P)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a rpg player, but Id assume that if one makes a rpg based on a background of a miniature game involving (obviously) factions.. the most interesting approach would be leaving the factions for the miniature game. ?

not people having completely no association with the factions, just turning it less black and white.

a Gold hunter/digger, recently joining the miners and steamfitters union could easily venture out together with a budding guild conscript.. in the end looking at malifaux background it would fit best if the players start out from the same starting point... they just arrived by train in malifaux, their future wide open and the existence of the warring factions just a small rumor they heard. instead of a typical class/job system they arrive in malifaux with a character built on talent, ambition and "morality" and during the sessions moving towards their destiny (wich usually involves mcmournings operating table anyway :P)

Or the party acts as an outcast sub-faction

Good ideas... One of the central themes in a Malifaux RPG would be morality, nothing would be clear cut or black and white... Could make for some interesting campaigns where the players decide their own faction and level of morality as the came goes along.

Edited by Angus Khan

it would be a good setting, as for stats and abilities, i think it would be difficult to do with cards.

in my opinion, the best rpg system by far is the d100 percentile system. you have a % score for every stat and ability, and have to roll under it on a d100 to succeed. if you succeed you then check a box next to that ability. at the end of a session you roll over your percentage, it goes up by 1 point. It means any character can improve in any skill or ability.

Although i see malifaux as a setting where levelling up is less important. i see characters being pretty stable, but the challenge is figuring out how to beat the different enemies and puzzles, not in being a high enough level to get a combat bonus etc.

something that might be worth looking at is marvul universe rpg, which uses stones instead of dice.

As long as it's nothing like the d20 system and focuses on actual role playing it'd be good.

I currently use the Shadowrun 3rd ed. engine for role playing.

If it ends up being a d20 system product it'll stink and won't be worth the paper it's printed on...IMHO.

While I'm not advocating d20 and am not a large fan of it. There is nothing within the system prohibiting or limiting roleplaying. You are choosing to do that yourself while using that system.

I really like the World of Darkness success system where you role a pole of dice to beat the success that are required. Plus for Character creation it gives a nice template in which all players will start out as but giving them a chance to make that character truly unique.

I really like the World of Darkness success system where you role a pole of dice to beat the success that are required. Plus for Character creation it gives a nice template in which all players will start out as but giving them a chance to make that character truly unique.

Sometimes it ends up creating some very odd situations: seeing someone soaking the damage from a direct hit with a chainsaw for example.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/, gurps? Malifaux in all honesty would be all about the roleplaying so why not adapt it to gurps or even DnD? Or you could addapt it around dark heresy and be some sort of guild rookies rather than emperor loyalists.

You could tone down the to hit modifiers in DnD from say using a D20 to roll above say armour class 18, just lower the difficulty so you could use your fate deck. Change an 18ac to a 7ac for example, Rangers with hand crossbows would be ortegas with steam guns,barbarians could be warpigs weilding deadly enchanted tusks, instead of robes you got jackets and instead of helmets you got stove pipe hats e.t.c

Also there is absolutly no problem with the d20 system, the players roleplay not the game, anyone who belives a game cant let them roleplay clearly hasnt the energy or imagination to do it themselves.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/, gurps? Malifaux in all honesty would be all about the roleplaying so why not adapt it to gurps or even DnD? Or you could addapt it around dark heresy and be some sort of guild rookies rather than emperor loyalists.

You could tone down the to hit modifiers in DnD from say using a D20 to roll above say armour class 18, just lower the difficulty so you could use your fate deck. Change an 18ac to a 7ac for example, Rangers with hand crossbows would be ortegas with steam guns,barbarians could be warpigs weilding deadly enchanted tusks, instead of robes you got jackets and instead of helmets you got stove pipe hats e.t.c

Also there is absolutly no problem with the d20 system, the players roleplay not the game, anyone who belives a game cant let them roleplay clearly hasnt the energy or imagination to do it themselves.

There is absolutely no problem with the d20 system? I think that statement is absolutely over the top. :-P There are definitely problems with d20, as there are problems with anything. Anyway, I believe your point is that d20 doesn't stop people from roleplaying, and that's true. I don't think it does a lot to encourage it, but that's neither here nor there.

The fact of the matter is, if you want to play Malifaux as an RPG, you can do it using any system that's out there with a bit of tweaking. Heck, you could be really creative and do it without a system at all and just tell each other stories! There are positives and negatives to every system, so it would all come down to the group you're playing with.

If you want to play Malifaux: RPG (which is how EricJ has been referring to it), then all we know is that there is no confirmed statement except that if it comes out, it won't be d20. I would imagine that they'll do their own mechanic as they did for the game we all know and love.

I'm all for speculating, but I'm not all for arguing RPG systems ups and downs :-P

I'm in the 'Leave the game as it is" camp.

Why turn the game into an RPG? What is the point?

Folks here love the game and everything about it because it is what it is. A Malifaux RPG would be a different game. Malifaux is a skirmish game. An RPG would be an RPG - Not the same game.

I can understand a suppliment focusing on campaigns or extended storylines using the pre-existing system but I think an RPG would be a mistake. What I mean by this is that the folk at Wyrd might be overextending themselves at this early stage. A RPG could potentially detract from the core Malifaux game.

Developing a new system (or supplimentary system) when the curent system is still yet to be fully understood by most players could create an overload of rules resulting in confusion that can never be overcome (Example: GW!).

What I'd like to see is a volume with short fiction that adds more dimention to the Malifaux tableau and using this as a vehicle to drive extended storylines/campaigns. A few rules/suggestions/ideas on how best to run Malifaux campaigns and leav it at that. Not a full blown RPG but an extention to the existing game.

Welll That's my opinion anyway:hmmmm:

Then don't play it simple as that, the're not turning malifaux into an RPG, it will be as an addition to the skirmish game (or at lest i it will)

Yeah, people want a Malifaux RPG on top of the skirmish game... not as a replacement.

Oh my, Oh my... Did I write something that you didn't like? Did my opinion deflate your hopes of MaliD&D?

Well, here's how it goes ~ It's my opinion and I'm allowed to have it. I'm also allowed to express it. I didn't insult anyone or break any forum rules. I just expressed an opinion.

However, I shall take your advice "I will not play the Malifaux RPG!!!"

Hang on a second... This is all supposition there is no Malifaux RPG nor is there any proof positive that an RPG is in the making. Hmmm. On secondthoughts... That must mean the rumours are TRUE!!!!

Oh my, Oh my... Did I write something that you didn't like? Did my opinion deflate your hopes of MaliD&D?

Well, here's how it goes ~ It's my opinion and I'm allowed to have it. I'm also allowed to express it. I didn't insult anyone or break any forum rules. I just expressed an opinion.

However, I shall take your advice "I will not play the Malifaux RPG!!!"

Hang on a second... This is all supposition there is no Malifaux RPG nor is there any proof positive that an RPG is in the making. Hmmm. On secondthoughts... That must mean the rumours are TRUE!!!!

Whoa, there... take a chill pill and clam down a bit... Nobody was saying you can't have your opinion or that it was wrong, we were just clarifying that we weren't interested in seeing the skirmish game replaced by an RPG.

• 1 month later...

Why not and this is going out a limb here, buy the old deadlands stuff aka the poker playing RPG and. I mean you can DL all the books for freen, print them up then use the world setting of mallifaux. Since deadlands was partially steam punk as well as being western all you got do is throw in the victorian and damn you gotta game.