Are the reference cards copyrighted?

Grim

I'm no expert on copyrighting, but I thought that if an item wasn't used for financial gain in any way (eg. you didn't sell it), then it's okay to make a copy of it for personal use?

I suppose it's alot more complicated than that, with lawyers and money and hookers and other legal things, but that was my understanding. :rolleyes:

But could enlarging the cards be considered fair use? Certainly if you intend to use the cards yourself there would not be an issue with enlarging them. If so how do you expect people with visual disabilities to play?

No, Wyrd would probably not come after you for enlarging the cards for personal use, although I'm not a lawyer or connected to Wyrd, so don't take my word for it. ;)

A couple things.

1) The stat cards are most definitely copyrighted material.

2) However, open the inside cover of the book and read the small print. There is an line there which reads "Copies of materials herein are intended solely for your personal, non-commercial use, only if you preserve any associated copyrights, trademarks or other notices."

This essentially means that once you buy materials from Wyrd, you may copy them only for personal use and not sell them or give them away to anyone else, including in person or online (such as posting scans online).

That cover it? :)

copyright prohibits personal use just as well as any other use afaik, point being that its not really worth the chase. (either because the copyright holders are not bothered with it or because its not worth the financial effort.)

but, that wouldnt really be the problem here, as sometimes to prevent any problems other companies (like kinko's) avoid getting involved.

because they do get profit for handling the copyrighted material (you pay them.) and I think with the wrong company they can get into legal problems themselves. so as a standard rule they avoid everything copyrighted (or even suspect from being copyrighted.)

its all more about their policy rather than wyrd's policy.

the way for gamers with bad eyesight would be scanning it and printing it yourself at home. (or going to an independent print shop who have less rigid rules.)

I think a lot of places that do copies and even photo prints are overly-cautious that if there is anything that looks like it is copyright material that they will not reprint it without you giving them a letter in writing giving you the authorization or stating in writing that you are the owner.

I've had pictures of a friend who is a model I've taken with my camera be held up for printing because it looked "copyrighted". I had to sign some forms stating I took those pictures and were the legal owner in order for them to print it. I think they do this to protect themselves from being included in any litigation in the event copyrighted material was printed accidentally.

Just a little side note:

I went to a Kinko's to make copies of the Strategy/Scheme cards and Special Event/Terrain cards that I found on this forum. The issue of copyright came up here too. They said that they couldn't make copies for me, but I could use the machines to make my own copies. The only reason I had asked them to do it was because I wanted them printed on card and didn't realize that I could do that with the self service machines.

Moral of the story: Just get some card stock from the counter and enlarge and print them yourself.