Has Malifaux 'killed' your other games?

Chucklemonkey

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was handed an older army of Lizardmen for WHFB, and was looking to start both WARMACHINE and HORDES. I won't touch any of them for quite a while. As the army that was handed to me was part of a recruitment attempt I will be playing down that... down the road. The guy that handed it over accepts that and is quite happy. I will probably never play a PP game now though. Malifaux has diverted the funds from them completely.

The other thing it's down is gotten me back into the hobby, in a VERY real way. I used to work for GamesWorkshop (in a corporate store) and I find myself giving painting lessons, talking terrain construction, etc... as I sit in the FLGS working on my Malifaux groups. It's a lot more fun now that I have a real love of the hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after becoming a little tired of the unbalanced army books in WHFB and having lost interest in 40k through 4th-5th edition, I was looking for a new game to play.

I've ordered the Malifaux rulebook in the hope that it 'ticks all the boxes'. The models, army size and background already appeal to me a lot, just waiting to have a crack at the rules with a mate who feels the same way.

I threw away all my GW crap over a decade ago. Stuck with mainly table top wargames-the old avalon hill style games for the most part. moved into Flames when it came out as well as DBA and rekindeled an old intrest in Micro armor. I wont say malifaux has killed my other games, its just been added to the potpouri of games that my I play. The biggest thing we are working on right now is a set of 6mm micro armor rules set in the 1980's. Based on the hex game World at War and its coming along pretty nicley. We have a few demo games coming up at the Enfilade convention in the seattle area this year. Frantically trying to finish painting all the minis for it. And we still do Flames and break out DBA on ocassion. Some of the guys are a bit hesitant to get into a new system but the low mini count and lower cost is a real selling point

my gaming community was mostly privateer press oriented. with their recent blunders however, we've consistently been playing other games (firestorm, malifaux, about to start up another mordheim campaign). really, i'm not going to buy any more PP products other than books until the whole game is realeased. by whole game i include hordes in there too. so there's about eight months for them to tick me off and convince me to turn away (i'm a bit bitter that they turned legion into nothing more than epic thagrosh and the typhon; both amazing models, but the army just lacks diversity in listbuilding now).

on a lighter note, i like the depth of each individual model in malifaux. i don't see myself playing higher than a 40 point game though. it just seems like it's geared for taking like 5-8 models.

i've also found that my $#%t for dice luck carries over to cards as well. it's good to see a constant boning-me-over force in the universe. it makes me feel like i can rely on something. so i'll just have to go on having superior tactics in order to kill opponents.

Well in the last couple of months Malifaux has rocketed up in terms of players. Every week now there's someone playing it - people are even coming from outside the city to play! So now it's right up there with the big boys of 40k, Fantasy and Warmahordes. All the while Infinity looks on jealously......

Most people bought into it because of the price and were intregued by the card system and in fact it has sparked more interest in other skirmish games, which makes me very happy because I LOVE skirmish! Also it'll be really nice to not be playing the same person at Dark Age and Hell Dorado all the time.

Malifaux is hurting my larger-scale gaming... I'm playing a lot less 40k and WFB, but I'm still enjoying other skirmish games like Mordheim.

A big part of it is that my FLGS seems like we've all kinda burned out on Warhammer and needed something short, quick and entertaining.

Having a game that can be played in 45 minutes or so is WONDERFUL right now.

The store I mostly game at now seems to have a rather short attention span. Currently, Malifaux is the new shiny and there are a fair number of people playing but I don't know how long that will hold true. The real test is going to be when another quality game is introduced, and we'll see how many of them stick with it.

For myself, it's just one more game among several others. Personally, I prefer to devote myself to games for the long term. You don't really get as rich an experience until everyone gets to a certain skill level and the number of releases has had a chance to increase over time IMHO so just dabbling isn't a good option for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much, It's taken over my Fridays (Which were reserved mostly for GURP playing) but we've started doing RPG online instead so we can accommodate our Canadian player.

It's not really stopped me in the 40k side of things but I'd much prefer to go to a Malifaux event than a 40k event at the GW shop if they clashed days. However, now playing about 3 different wargaming systems, I'd be hesitant to start another, maybe Warmachine but only after next year and Christmas, then I might be ready.

I for one am currently clearing out all my 40k, fantasy and warmachine. To me now a days there just not worth it. For what I have paid recently for new Space Wolves I could have bought pretty much every single bit of Malifaux x 2.

Its not that I dont want to play 40k or anything anymore its just no one does as its too expensive. For £45 I got my red chappel crew, fate deck and the rules. That scream bargain to me and its a brilliant game with plenty of future ahead. the staff are on top of the game. There active in the forums and that pushes this game further ahead than any i have ever played. It`s been 15 years since I got into the wargames hobby and never have I been so actually properly excited by a game as much as this. Bring it on! and most definatly keep it coming!!!!

I for one am currently clearing out all my 40k, fantasy and warmachine. To me now a days there just not worth it. For what I have paid recently for new Space Wolves I could have bought pretty much every single bit of Malifaux x 2.

Its not that I dont want to play 40k or anything anymore its just no one does as its too expensive. For £45 I got my red chappel crew, fate deck and the rules. That scream bargain to me and its a brilliant game with plenty of future ahead. the staff are on top of the game. There active in the forums and that pushes this game further ahead than any i have ever played. It`s been 15 years since I got into the wargames hobby and never have I been so actually properly excited by a game as much as this. Bring it on! and most definatly keep it coming!!!!

It is pretty much the same for me now except that since taking up Malifaux I have come across many more Warmachine players than previously, and not having previously played it, my selling up of GW may result in a Warmachine army as well as an expansion of my Malifaux collection...

Yes end of other games atm, coupled with G WS now increasing prices again... = final nail in coffin for there games. 4 0k because easy mode with 1 cha taking on an army. Fan tasy wtf play test on sca ven and da emons + boring models. YEY FOR MALIFAUX!

I wouldn't say I abandoned WM/H, I still have my stuff and think I'll play a game again, eventually. But, since I discovered malifaux last year I have had zero interest in my old stuff. I only have so much time and money to go around, and malifaux has taken up all of it. Truthfully I was burned out on WM/H for a while and looking for something fun/new/different (just like when I left 40k for WM).

Also, malifaux was fun and cheap enough that I brought an old gaming buddy back in, and that means a lot for my continued gaming habits. :)

It is pretty much the same for me now except that since taking up Malifaux I have come across many more Warmachine players than previously, and not having previously played it, my selling up of GW may result in a Warmachine army as well as an expansion of my Malifaux collection...

When I stopped 40k originally it was for warmachine. I still now plenty players. I have kept my Cryxian army aside though I`m waiting for there new book before I decide whether to keep em or not.

Malifaux though has been a total fresh breth of air into what was a stagnating hobby for me. 15+ years do that I guess but now with this game its literally changed what I thought about a lot of stuff.

Oh and where about in Scotland ya from?

When I stopped 40k originally it was for warmachine. I still now plenty players. I have kept my Cryxian army aside though I`m waiting for there new book before I decide whether to keep em or not.

Malifaux though has been a total fresh breth of air into what was a stagnating hobby for me. 15+ years do that I guess but now with this game its literally changed what I thought about a lot of stuff.

Oh and where about in Scotland ya from?

It certainly feels diferent from the slog of playing 40k/WFB.

Live in Alloa, work in Glasgow but strangely enough spend most weekends in Newcastle. The GF lives there.

Oh and if you do ever decide to sell your Cryx feel free to PM me....

@ US Male, a few old gaming buddies of mine who had stopped years ago have also been willing to give it a try, still need to get them another game or so but i'm still hopeful of getting them hooked. :whistle:

I've brought in two WH Fantasy players so far. Since it's JUST starting for both it's hard to tell.

People keep trying to recruit me to play other things, and I just let them know I'm not interested. Then they watch a couple of games of Malifaux, ask to try a game, and end up buying a bit. The game store owner and I went through what he's got, and worked out a bit of a list of what he "should" carry.

It's a growing game, and people are, simply put, loving it!