Hamelin-centric Crew Building

HandsomeDan

I thought this might be a fun topic to discuss. Like the title says: you are starting a new crew completely from scratch, and your only imperative is that Hamelin be included. What master has the most to give him? Or which master can he give the most too? Is there a faction that can benefit most from having a ht 1 model from another faction?

I like the thought of Viktorias because Hamelin already has some good synergy with them and some other mercs. Have Hamelin bring along candy for her Sweets to get some otherwise unavailable healing flips. But that would mean you are shelling out a lot for support models even if you are paying 1 less point for Hamelin. Not that healing is all candy's good for. Cade could work too but then no cool Teddy swaps. Throw a student of conflict in there for an extra piper's lure casting. But there have to be plenty of other great ideas.

Anyone have any good ones?

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but Hamelin could help out Sonnia a lot by giving her an Essence of Power (she becomes far less soulstone-dependant with that :+fate on damage flips) and then bunching up the bad guys for some explosive goodness. Just make sure Hamelin stays close enough so the Essence doesn't drop dead.

One of the most popular ideas early on was with Lilith. You would take terror tots to run up the sides of the board, then have Lilith make them swap places with any enemy model from closer to the center. Next, with the enemy model now on the edge of the board, have Hamelin pop them off the side for a kill.

Its relativley effective, and nice to see Lilith used as a spell combo character, rather than the usual beatdown she is played as. The bonus too is that you have Lilith's regular playstyle as a backup in the event that Hamelin kicks the bucket.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but Hamelin could help out Sonnia a lot by giving her an Essence of Power (she becomes far less soulstone-dependant with that :+fate on damage flips) and then bunching up the bad guys for some explosive goodness. Just make sure Hamelin stays close enough so the Essence doesn't drop dead.

Sadly Hamelin can't give a master access to any out of faction totems. But Obey could be great for bunching up guys under templates.

The Lilith idea is also very cool.

Sadly Hamelin can't give a master access to any out of faction totems. But Obey could be great for bunching up guys under templates.

Actually he can. The only restriction is that most Totems can only be taken with a certain Master so taking those is useless. The general Faction totems (Gov's Proxy, Grave Spirit, Essence of Power, Primordial Magic) can be recruited by Hamelin's ability to another faction.

However, the Essence (and maybe Prim magic) is the only one worth to take of those IMO, the Proxy and Grave Spirit have main abilities which only for their own faction so taking them with Hamelin is quite a waste.

-Ropetus

Totems have to be connected to a Master when hired. And a Master can only have one totem attached to them (unless their rules state otherwise, Nicodem, Som'er Teeth, etc.) The totems that are associated with specific Masters would probably not be able to be hired. The 'generic' faction totems, I'll have to check on. But if I were to hazard a guess I'd say no.

While it may change in the future this statement is enough to keep me from buying any out of faction totems to use with Hamelin and growing influence. There's more bad news in the thread I lifted the quote from. The errata on Hamelin doesn't say anything about growing influence either. There definitely would be a lot of potential for crazy combos with out of faction totems if you could though.

Would be nice to get an official ruling on this. Hamelin's ability doesn't say that the model is in any way linked to him other than the fact that it takes off if he's too far away at the start of its activation. So RAW I'd still say that he can get you totems, RAI may be a different story but I'm no mindreader.

I'm planning on fielding Hamlin with Pandora for the Willpower duel synergy.

The question is, what Height 1 models are worthwhile for her?

Student of Conflict is an unaligned Totem she could take.

Fast Teddy with 1 AP Charges :)

Essence of Power won't help.

Could Governor's Proxy could be used to give Willpower duels a +2 advantage, only problem is you can't afford to fail.

Piglets?

Arachnid Swarm?

Hoarcat Prides using her neg flip to Defense duels?

I'm planning on fielding Hamlin with Pandora for the Willpower duel synergy.

The question is, what Height 1 models are worthwhile for her?

Student of Conflict is an unaligned Totem she could take.

Fast Teddy with 1 AP Charges :)

Essence of Power won't help.

Could Governor's Proxy could be used to give Willpower duels a +2 advantage, only problem is you can't afford to fail.

Piglets?

Arachnid Swarm?

Hoarcat Prides using her neg flip to Defense duels?

Student of Conflict might be good with his ability to give fast but he's 4SS. That might be a bit too much considering that you're already paying 10SS for Hamelin and 9SS for Teddy. Maybe in a bigger game it could work if you manage to surprise your enemy. Kade with Fast moving first, then casting Backstab and then striking with melee expert isn't too shabby either. Fast works with pretty much anything.

Essence of power doesn't help as you said and Governor's Proxy gives his WP bonus to friendly Guild models. And I would not take him with Pandora anyway. With all those WP duels going on you are bound to lose a few.

A single Hoarcat pride isn't worth it as there's not much that it could devour. The piglet would start rampaging without any friendly gremlins to keep him in line.

Edited by Joona

Found here

right... the faq... the document that contains answers to frequently asked questions. Oops. I forget how new this game is. Somehow I got the impression that the discussion I linked was newer than the faq. But at any rate, thats just one more reason to love Hamelin.

A giant mosquito could be really helpful to the right master with its speed and maneuverability combined with arcane extension. Just a thought. His low Ca is painfully apparent though.

I'd also been thinking Hamelin could be fun with Seamus and his ladies with them using Lure while standing near a table edge. Then Hamelin could finish the job. Is there a totem that could help Seamus with casting flips so he can summon Belles more easily? I'll have to check when I get home.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Pandora has excellent synergy with Hamelin, since she'll get the most out of all those Wp duels. Here's a random list that could work;

Pandora

Hamelin 10

Doppelganger 8

Sorrow 3

Sorrow 3

(24 SS)

The Doppleganger can copy Pandora's Emotional trauma for additional wounds at range, allowing the entire crew to put some serious hurt on anyone who gets into 12".

On the negative, it's going to be terrible in Reconnoite (which is often a problem for Pandy) and Wp duels are it's only trick. There's no Kade or Teddy for Plan B if you're opponents Wp defense is too strong to reliably get around.

Zoraida could also work, with both being capable long-ranged casters. I'm not sure about the best approach though. 25 SS seems too small to fit him in (I keep wanting to add him plus a mature nephilim), although he might work at 35SS. Here's something crazy that'd take good advantage of all those obeys;

Zoraida

Hamelin 10

Mature Nephilim 10

Mature Nephilim 10

Terror Tot 3

(33 SS)

The tot is there because I had SS to spare, I can grow him and because he can lure the Mature Nephilim to his position if/when he dies. ;)

Edited by Rathnard

I've used Hamelin with Zoraida once (the one and only time my Hamelin has seen the board thus far) and he was decent - it was a bit overkill on the Obey's tho TBH (Zoraida already has access to two with her totem!) and I found myself wanting a straight damage dealer more in the end. Still, I'll give him another go, I think it very much depends on the crew opposite you - if they're effective at killing themselves via Obey then he's great, otherwise it's a lot of points invested in something that can kill by itself aside from walking you to the board edge.

my LGS had a Hamelin blister! The only challenge is that he is so skinny and is on a 50mm base! Also is that a free standing rat on the sprue?

Yup he is a skinny little wretch. I used a scenic base so as he didn't look so lonely on the 50mm - Hamelin and his dog are on the lower level and then I used the spare rat on the upper level to make it feel more like a scenario. In fact, if you'll excuse the tabletop quality, I might as well put up a pic...

DSCF2395.jpg?t=1271322910

Yup he is a skinny little wretch. I used a scenic base so as he didn't look so lonely on the 50mm - Hamelin and his dog are on the lower level and then I used the spare rat on the upper level to make it feel more like a scenario. In fact, if you'll excuse the tabletop quality, I might as well put up a pic...

DSCF2395.jpg?t=1271322910

nice! thanks! I had the base in hand, but returned it before I got to the counter, it looks like I should've kept it!