Washing a model?

dbreeden

Just wash models with an old toothbrush and some detergent (same as you'd wash your dishes with) in hand-hot water. Afterwards, dry the model (hairdryer is best if you want to avoid getting fluff from tissues or towels on it), and then allow it to airdry somewhere warm for another half-hour or so. Then, you can undercoat as usual.

This is a step a great many people skip, but I have found it very useful in getting glue and paint to stick better to the model, and to avoid a gritty texture on the final paintjob - this is because the mould release agent used in the models' casting process often remains as a residue (especially in the recesses of the model) and can interfere with subsequent gluing and painting later on if not removed. In fact, sometimes I give a model two washes - a thorough one before I start, and then a second quick one after I have filed, glued and pinned to remove any metal filings/dust arising from my own efforts to prevent spoiling the smoothness of the undercoat.

I don't wash my models. Other people insist you have to. Sometimes there can be mold release, finger oils, what ever that could affect how the paint sticks. I've never had problems though.

Usually what I've heard people do is just rinse them under warm water, use a little bit of mild dish soap, and make sure to rinse it all off. You can scrub a little with an old tooth brush or stiff paint brush (not one you'd want to paint with). For drying I'd say just pat it down with some paper towel to get most of the excess water off, and then let it air dry.

I'm not sure about the before/after of assembling them, as if you assemble them after, you are just going to get your skin oils right back on there. I'd think that super glue can probably handle the soap and water, although I am not sure.

If you simply prime the miniatures with a spray and want to get them on the table quickly - you can usually skip all the washing process unless the miniature feels oily or has a white powder all over it. If you apply the primer with a brush I'd highly advise washing the miniatures as these primers don't stick quite as well to the surface. Throwing the miniatures into a ultra-sonic bath for 2 minutes or cleaning it with slighty warm water and a bit of soap doesn't take much time - hence it might become just routine like cleaning the mold lines.

The reason I clean the miniatures very carefully is the preparation part before I prime them (usually with a spray can). In particular with larger metal parts often the surface will be rough in some areas and if that is the case I apply a very thin film of watered miliput to seal the pores and work the surface with steel-wool afterwards. This ensures that the paint will stick everywhere equally well when painting it and helps alot with the blending.

Edited by Jens

Hmm....I've been doing this hobby for probably 6-7 years now, getting pretty successful with painting miniatures, and I don't think I've ever noticed anyone suggest always washing your miniatures before hand, let alone that it was common practice in the hobby.

The only time I've ever done it is if the model gets lots of tiny metal flakes on it after using a jewelers saw to cut the feet from the mold base. Other than that, I usually just jump right into the priming, unless it is noticeably dirty looking.

I do a type of rustic mold casting in wich i use a mixture of petroleum jelly and diesel fuel, this is done to make the separation process easier. In this case the final product must be cleaned to ensure that non of the lubricant agent interfere with the rest of the sculpting process (this includes painting). Most modern casters or industrial casting, use a lubricant that turns to "dust" or is consumed by the heat and almost nothing is left of the lubricant. If you dont feel your mini oily or dusty a simple tooth brush cleaning will do, otherwise as all have mentioned before, hot water and a mild soup will solve this. I just use a toothbrush or air can for my minis and never had a problem with primer or paint.

I personally have sweaty hands so I kinda make the minis a bit oily while I'm filing/drilling them. Thus for me it is essential to wash them just before glueing/priming. I also noticed that the basecoat became smoother since I started washing them and it's easier to paint them up nicely. That's probably the powder everyone talks about... An other alternative I saw is the use of metallic wool. It's like cotton wool, but obviously made of metal, so it gives a really fine polish. You can clean the mini with it without filing any small detail away, tho it works better on big surfaces (cloak, shields, armours).

Another owner of sweaty hands here, to the point where it can strip acrylic paint :(

I have certainly purchased models that had noticeable mold release on them, and washing is such a simple process, why would anyone skip it? After filing and possibly gluing my models, I wash them with hot water, and while waiting for them to dry, I file the next model I plan to work on, so the drying time doesn't matter. You definitely want to make sure they are completely dry, so consider a hair dryer.

I've washed all of mine in warm soapy water since 1985! It's like prepping a car for a new paint job...you have to make sure it's clean...oil, fingerprint, dust/residue free before priming. If not, you could have a "fish-eye" problem. This is where little spots "pop-up" on your undercoat or paint. If you take anything I've ever said in here serious...this would be it. Wash the mini's!!!

I always do it now after cleaning and sanding...

.. usual process is..

1...clip large bits of flash with clippers...

2.... scrape with knife to remove mould line..

3.... sand with files and lass paper 600-900 grit ..

4.. wash with warm water and dish soap..

I find it useful to not only remove any pockets of mould release residue but also get rid of finger grease before priming....

• 2 weeks later...

I typically wash all of my models, I think it is very important for the resin ones. I had serious problem with my primer clumping and paint not wanting to stick very well. I started washing the metal miniatures and priming in a less humid environment and haven't had any problems. I typically do all of the assembly before washing the miniature. Some have small pieces I worry about losing down the drain in the sink. Because of that I do little scrubbing with a toothbrush and then just let air dry overnight.

It really depends on how you paint, if you use extremely watered down paints then not washing your model can be extremely detrimental, especially if you want to have a display quality peace. If you're someone who only uses a minute amount of water, or if you just take paint straight from the pot, then you're wasting your time washing the mini. It wont matter.