Interested in Marcus

Brian_conatser

Hello my step-son and I are looking into buying 2 groups of Malifaux minis. I'm interested in McMourning and he is interested in Marcus. Unfortunately we live nowhere near a FLGS or any sort of club that we are aware of. We have not been able to look at a copy of the rulebook yet, so this will be spculation on my part. Here are the planned purchases so far:

Marcus boxed set

extra Rattler

extra Cerberus

1 pack Molemen

1 pack Silurids

1 essence of power

I have heard that his totem is the Jackalope, so if this comes out prior to us buying the minis we will buy this instead of the essence of power. I was wondering if there are any other models I should be considering, or that may be coming out in the future that I should keep my eyes open for.

Thanks for looking and giving advice.

The second rattler is exactly what I've been relying upon in my Marcus build.

I've found that for my playstyle (fast and right up in your face as quickly as possible) I've dropped the big kitty for a Steamborg and dropped a mole. The moles for me just slow me down too much.

The Steamborg and two rattlers all cause terror and Marcus can impact Wp checks with a howl. Steamborg is more durable than the Kitten and hits just as hard. It does sacrifice some movement as the kitty can leap, but makes up for it in arachnid mobility.

I don't believe the Jackelope is anywhere on the horizon as there hasn't been any previews of it in the Wyrd Chronicles or online that I can remember....probably early new year at the earliest is a guess.

• 1 month later...

Well, if you take hoarcats the poor beastie could act as mobile snack bar for them-the kitties Wd get's too low, you charge the jackalope into whatever combat the kitties are(unless they're in the open, in whcih case you just hop the bunny to them), and later activate the cats, kill the bunny, and activate Eat your Fill.

I'm a big fan of the Essence of Power with Rasputina and I'd consider it with Ramos if there was no need for speed and a lot of armoured targets for his nuke...but Marcus needs one like he needs a hole in the head.

So, Marcus playing people, what are you fielding?

I'll be ordering his box next and already have a Sabretooth and three Prides...

If you are playing to learn, or a straight up fight razorspines are great, but if you play all the scenarios like it is made to be played, cerebrus are far more versatile. The leap and the stalker ability are just mustard! Molemen are auto includes, and I still like Myranda for her versatility. I through a convict gunslinger in my last list, and he is fantastic.

But Raintar is correct, the most competitive I have played is Silurids adnd Molemen.

I prefer playing other stuff and trying to win with it though.

25 SS

Marcus + 1 SS (5)

Myranda

Cerebrus

Moleman

Convict Gunslinger

Give it a try...

Guys, you should also note that Marcus doesn't HAVE TO be played as a killing machine with Wild Heart. If you can get an attack on somebody making them a beast, and use Feral to make another unit a beast and use Staredown it is pretty devastating as well. Or if you are in a melee and can get two hits off two different units you get to stop three minions with staredown...it's pretty brutal.

After first 3 games with Marcus and beasts, I think that apart from always useful Leap and MAYBE constrict on the rattler, the spells are so hard to pull of(or use very high cards for little return) that it's better to focus on killing the enemy straight-up. Cerberus and Ratt;er proved very useful in this, and I think they'll be always present in my list. Myranda is just as situational as the beast's spells due to high casting costs, but in bigger games can be useful for healing the real damage dealers. Marcus..Marcus I think should be a rear-guard character, first charge with the big guys, and then use his movement spell to bring him up to the frontline fast to finish off the wounded or kill some weaker models. He can also heal a bit more reliably, so use that. Small cats are too delicate for this, and too slow I think, so I'll be rarely using them,at least against the goddamn Guild, which has altogether way too much shooting.