Cross-faction beasts for Marcus

Black_Mamba

I'm thinking of getting a Marcus crew. I'm interested in picking up some other beasts I'm curious as to what those of you with experience running him might advise. Of course I'll want to get some molemen, but I what I wanted to know is which beasts from other factions work best with Marcus, since he's allowed to hire beasts from other lists? The list of choices isn't large, but are there any beasts from other factions that you think a Marcus player should consider running? Or, is it best just to stick with beasts from his own faction?

well... the only 2 non faction beast s out there are the waidgeist and the silurid, both neverborn models.

the waidgeist isn't actually out yet as a model. i only toyed w/ him once in a lilith list- he's decent in a forest to move it, effect line of sight, or try to root someone in place, but i can't image he'd be a better choice than the other beasts marcus could recruit (for one more ss, i'd go w/ the razorspine, myself).

the silurid is a great model though... very fast and hits living and undead models quite hard. mobility and it's chameleon ability will frustrate an opponent and it's a moderately priced model.

I love the Silurid, I'm eventually going to get a Zoraida starter, love her minions. Good to know about Marcus, I don't think anyone at my LGS has him, I think he's the only one that no one has gotten yet. If that is the case, I might pick him up eventually, but will get Rasputina first. I'd like to have all the Arcanists, think they are my main faction, with Resurrectionists as my second, I have Nicodem and he's awesome! I'm not big on McMourning or Seasmus, I dig them but not enough to get them.

Who else would work well with Ramos? What non-faction minions do you think he could/should use? I can't think of any constructs off the top of my head.

Problem w/ the Silurids is that they dry out and die if you don't have water or other Silurids around. Still OK to take them (they have the same issue in a Neverborn list) but you need to take several or else be willing to let Miranda turn into one which isn't so great when she could be a saber-tooth.

The Waldgeist's ability to move the forests (and move with them) is great when used in conjunction with the cerberus who can get a free 6" push if he is in cover from all enemy models in the end closing phase.

Silurids can close scary fast on the enemy while still managing to get out quite a few attacks. Marcus lists seem to have the monopoly right now on alpha striking in melee combat, no one else can move a whole crew as quickly as he can.

• 1 month later...
Marcus lists seem to have the monopoly right now on alpha striking in melee combat, no one else can move a whole crew as quickly as he can.

Sorry, I have to ask a n00b question... Can't the entire Ortega crew move one right after the other? They seem quite annoying in that regard (I have them & Marcus too, but haven't played them yet).

hmm...Do I read it right that Marcus can cast Companion on one silurd, get it to activate after him(well,simultaneusly) AND use that silurd to activate with another silurd(or two?)...that's one nasty combo right there, I think even masters will have hard time surviving it. Anyone tried it?

Of course it'll leave the list open to multiple enemy activations afterwards, but...

Sorry, I have to ask a n00b question... Can't the entire Ortega crew move one right after the other? They seem quite annoying in that regard (I have them & Marcus too, but haven't played them yet).

Yes, but the post you quote specifically says 'melee alpha strike'. The Ortegas can alpha strike all right, but they are most definitely not fans of melee.

hmm...Do I read it right that Marcus can cast Companion on one silurd, get it to activate after him(well,simultaneusly) AND use that silurd to activate with another silurd(or two?)...that's one nasty combo right there, I think even masters will have hard time surviving it. Anyone tried it?

Of course it'll leave the list open to multiple enemy activations afterwards, but...

You read that right...

...and it can be a bad idea to actually use it.

A common tactic is activating support models first so your opponent has their whole turn then jumping in and making all your attacks and having a Soulstone ready for the Initiative Flip the next turn.

If you do well on the Initiative you'll get a lot of strikes in.

But then Companion is optional so it can be avoided unless you have lots of expensive models...Marcus himself is actually quite vulnerable to this if he takes only Arcanist Beasts.

IMHO I've not been impressed with Marcus' main crew at all. The Sabertooth Cerebus's heads get chopped off too easily and needs suits to cast any of his spells. Myranda I found to be more trouble then she's worth, but can cast Devour pretty effectively. The Rattler is ok, and pretty good at what it does, its fast, and has decent striking power though not fantastic. Molemen are by far the most solid unit of the crew, most points effective by far and they have fantastic tanking ability.