Killjoy - how to use?

Kaptain O

So I bought the Killjoy model because it kicks ass but am trying to figure out how to use it in game, it is expensive and requires the sacrifice of anothe rmodel - which adds to his cost. Other than abusive zombie dogs+nurses combos is there a good way to field him? Does it just require a larger game?

Specifically how do I as an Outcast player find space for him?

a cheap way could always be to nab a 2ss totem, pretty sure every force has one.

or else field some cheap models and be aggressive w/ em. once one is fairly wounded, pop him out of it.

(or best bet... a slow to die model... use it's last activation to bring him in)

though at 11ss base and needing to wait fr another model to come into play.. he might be best off in larger games in general (was just tossing ideas out there)

I don't have the rules in front of me...but what about Levi? Couldn't you use him for the sacrifice and have him come back to life via a hollow waif? He's also Outcast, so no raised costs. Like I said though...I don't have the book with me, so I don't know if that would technically work.

This absolutely works. It's a great option if you are playing Leveticus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The best way to use Killjoy is definitely in conjunction with slow to die models. If you take, for instance, a few necropunks, you can throw them at the enemy and they'll do their bit of damage. Then once your opponent finally kills one, you use slow to die to replace him with Killjoy. The beauty of this is that you still get full use out of the Necropunk (so he doesn't feel like a waste of soulstones), and Killjoy will be able to activate straight after your opponents model finished killing the necropunk.

I've been playing around with Killjoy in conjunction with Zoraida. No slow to die models, but there's some potential with summoning him out of a voodoo doll, plus Zoraida can obey him for extra charges. Still, IMO he's a bit pricy in 25SS scraps.

be aggressive, then sacrifice when you're gonna lose the model anyway. As long as it's early enough in the turn. The Leveticus trick is nice, too.

Does this mean that it's possible to sacrifice Levi? Say he has 1 Wd left, can I just say "Oh, I'm going to sacrifice him since he's almost dead anyway." And then you get Killjoy and also get Levi (provided you have a waif and all that jazz).

Does this mean that it's possible to sacrifice Levi? Say he has 1 Wd left, can I just say "Oh, I'm going to sacrifice him since he's almost dead anyway." And then you get Killjoy and also get Levi (provided you have a waif and all that jazz).

That's correct. And why wait til Levi's almost dead - he can always come back. FWIW, I think we'll be seeing more Killjoys in Levi crews as the result of Levi's master-specific scheme (or does that scheme require him to be killed instead of sacrificed?)

Jim

I haven't seen the new book yet, but from what I have read on here it seems that the new Desperate Mercenary will be a great Killjoy delivery system.

Yep, been thinking this since playtesting =)

Desperate mercenary is sacrificed at the start of the closing phase on turn 3 unless you pay SS to keep him. Rare 4 and costs 2. Quite potent too, so not always a big deal to pay to keep him either.

• 1 month later...

Last night I ran a 30 ss Levi crew with Alyce,Bette and KJ.

Only Alyce and LEvi started on the field, I was playing defensive so after the Waif summons in (it has to use its 1 slow action to walk so it cannot sacrifice) I used Levi and Alyce to scavenge and summon an SPA.

The SPA became Bette piece and the Waif next turn was for Killjoy. Worked well.

It partially depends on the scenario and it depends on the opponent.

Levi and crew without some of the tricks they have can generally be slow. I rather have things come to me and pick em off at my leisure.

Getting killjoy out early is easy either the waif or levi himself if u have a bad hand.

Getting a token out (i might get some canine remains to help with this) to make SPA's is great because bette noire is such a great reaction piece and you have to worry about her and killjoy with Levi and alyce backing them up..

In fact:

Levi

Alyce =8

Bette = 9

Killjoy = 11

Canina Remains = 2 is good for 30 pts as levi doesn't really need soulstones that much.

The reason I like this crew is well it can do anything.

Killjoy is a beast, Bette aint bad either, everyone cept Alyce is resilient in their own way.

There is a summon/activation/control game going throughout (Ie moving things and saccing things or letting things die but gaining models who then activate etc)

I can play a discard game if I have to with Bette,Alyce and the Waifs,

Levi has his card/control tricks (death lessons, casting spells to draw cards, Alyce does as well and even Bette does)