Do you paint your bases separately?

AmishLuvah

I was just wondering how many of you out there paint your bases and minis separately then attach them later. I can see arguments for both but I just wanted to give you folks a chance to make your case one way or the other. We have a lot of very talented painters and modelers on these boards so I'm curious to see how the voting goes. :)

Edited by AmishLuvah

I always paint them seperate- I used to even paint pieces (minis) seperate, I still do depenting on how they fit together. to hold my mini I have a base that I pin the minis to. the base is a basic 30mm round that i fill with green stuff to the lip. this way when the base is all used up (no more good spots to pin in) I use it for a base for another mini.

pins in the feet, and a pin vise or exacto handle to hold it. base work is done separately, with the model placed prior to the pin (but after the hole) so i can drill the matching hole in the base before painting. also have a few hemostats (curved and straight) floating around from my days are a body piercer, and they get pressed into service from time to time as well. I've also got a nice fat wine cork, and a tapered cork attached to a 40mm base for holidn models.

When I was painting my Otergas, I had 3 pin vises (they've just shown up or been left with me over the years), an extaco handle, and a pair of hemostats holding the models since I was going to be doing their denim at the same time to keep the colors consistent. Witch Hunters saw 3 pin vises, an exacto, and a cork.

100% paint on the base.

I can imagine EricJ painting the bases seperate, because he's really painting the bases, like he's painting a canvas piece.

I glue magnets to the bottom of all my bases before I base them. Then I base them and attach the figure.

I then have bottle caps with metal washers glued to them so that I can place the magnetized model+base on the bottle cap. Maybe a little bit of sticky tack too. The nice thing is that your hand has a larger area to grip and turn the model as opposed to an exacto or drill. Stupid easy to transfer the mini when all is done and it can easily be set down anywhere you like.

Now I use dice containers with magnets glued underneath so I can enclose the mini completely when I'm not painting.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll paint the mini seperately, usually super glued to an temporary base and/or blue-tacked to an old empty paint pot. If it requires pining to the base I insert the pin at this point.

When the mini is just about done I rough in and basecoat the base. After that I pop the mini off it's temp base and attach it to the real base, at this stage I can finish of the base and final touches on the mini keeping lighting and such consistant.

I'm about 60/40 probably, painting separately/painting together. It really has to do with the complexity of the piece and if there is any sort of interaction between the model and base.

Flip Eric's numbers and that's me. 60% of the time I do them together, the other 40% separate, but I'm a mediocre painter anyway.

depends on the model for my oprk 40 k army for the normal rank and file they get base's done as im painting them characters get theres done separate and usualy first lol,but for show peice's like bruma the bone whisperer i will do hers seperate as im thinking of doing some sculpting for it same with my heresy necromancer when i get round to him

Just about never. Maybe sometimes on GW style bases. But I only use those for figs I intend to use, in a game where the base size is important, like 40K. My Blood Bowl team is based on the 30mm Wyrd rounded lip bases, since the size doesn't reall y make a difference in the game. For the Wyrd style, I cut .010" thick circle out of styrene, and make an "insert" of sorts. I set the plastic circle in an old scrap base , and I build up the base with Milliput or Apoxie. (Talc the base first, so the putty won't stick.) Then when it has cured, I pop it off the base. If I need the figure to be integrated into the base somehow, I'll make just a thin blank with the putty, to get the form and so it fits the inset of the base. Then I'll remove it from the scrap base, add the figure (or more putty, and then the figure, depending on what I'm going for) then prime them together.

I consider myself fortunate if I can field a fully painted force in most of the mini games I play. So, I attach my minis to their bases right away so I can get down to playing with them. Later, I come back and paint them, while on the base.

One thing I like about Malifaux is that the small crew sizes means that I have time to catch up on my painting so that I'll be able to field a fully painted crew. Perhaps it will free up some time so that I'll start to paint the minis separately from the bases.