Painting ICE? colors, technique

GrottoKnight

:frusty:I have a friend that is a hardcore painter. He turned me onto this site originally for its IRON PAINTERS. He has made it into deeper rounds.

Now Malifaux is out and half of the 12 people in my hobby group has invested. I have the Rasputina box, 3 hoarcats, 1 cerbrus, 1 acolyte

:snow:I am asking you painters out there (being a so-so painter), what colors would you use if you painted ice?

If you can name color and company that would be wonderful, a picture will be tremendously appreciated but not expected at all. :adore:

Also, what technique would you use to paint ice? Dry brush, ink/wash, dip, or another?

I have some generic ideas and am more skilled in dry brush but if something else works better I would like to broaden my skills.

Thank you so very much for your time :vb_cheers

all paints i use are GW. i start with a space wolf grey base coat, washed with really watered down hawk turquoise (thanks to above mentioned painting guide), drybrushed with spacewolf grey and then further drybrushed with elf grey and I am quite happy with the result.

thats on the ice golem, tina is a bit flat so needs more work and the picture doesnt do the golem justice IMO.

DSC00136.jpg

I used Reaper Master Paints for my Ice Golem - actually all my painting now (sorry no pics yet).

Started with a coat of Deep Amethyst for the base color. Dry brushed Ashen Blue on top of that, and then to pull out more detail, dry brused Pure White for the highlights. Sparingly used Pure White so it worked a bit more.

It depends on the shade you want for ice. I have a few ways for going for it. all are GW colors.

Shadow-spacewolf-white. for basic kinda white snow ish.

hawk - ice blue - white this is for a deep ice color

ultramarine-ice- white. for a more blue show color only leave a very small amount of blue.

pva+ white paint + snowflock in a ratio of 1 to 1 to 1 then when its drying sprinkle over more snow flock for a crisp deep fresh snow.

once the above is finished if you want some variation then use a mix of about 1 ink to 10 water yellow ink wash to paint on some yellow snow. ( the stuff you dont eat :D)

Hope that helps.

as always lots of thin coats and dont rush.

Edited by Monkey

I did a very quick way that is very easy to do and looks great for gaming.

*Basecoat with Citadel Ice Blue

*Shade with Citadel Asurmen Blue Wash

*Paint first highlight with Ice Blue+White

*Paint final highlight with white.

I did the highlights by painting small stripes, next to each other. I highlighted these with white. This gives an icy effect which is simple to do and looks nice. See my Beast 09 for an example:

beast.jpg