Campaign rules

AmishLuvah

As I started reading the rulebook, I was considering the applicability of campaigns similar to the old 'Mighty Empires' system (GW) where controlled territories provided benefits to your force. Of course, the benefits they provide can't be too overpowering, but done correctly I think that this is definitely a workable idea.

I dont like playing games that dont have some type of campaign system in them, or at least for long (its my major gripe against Infinity - heck, you'd be hard pressed to even find an official SCENARIO for Infinty, let alone a campaign!).

That being said, yes please :) I can only do unrelated scenarios for so long (but thats just me).

I've been tossing around ideas about a campaign since beta as well. However, I think my idea of a campaign is a bit different than the standard. I like the idea of crossing an rpg with the skirmish, so that instead of just doing regional influence and the such to get bonuses....I want my characters to play through a rich storyline as it happens.

Also, my idea is based on the idea of possibly playing various different characters throughout the course of the campaign storyline. That way you can experience the events from different masters' perspective.

For instance, maybe one mission involves Seamus sacking a town to steal some goodies while recruiting some more belles. While he's at the town the Guild are alerted and try to stop him. In this mission you would have some objectives to complete with Seamus while avoiding the Guild and escaping back off the board following completion of the objectives.

The very next mission could take place directly afterwards. However, now you control the Guild. You have received some information that the item he stole was significant or valuable for whatever reason. The Death marshals are recruited to track him through the wilderness and apprehend him.

I imagine over the course of the missions and inbetween there would be some fun storyline bits to help enhance it and make it feel like more than just a skirmish game.

I figure there would be some missions where you may have a reduced crew, or possibly even JUST your master (with the difficulty level of the mission scaled appropriately, or course.

Anyway, I had played around with various different progressions of storyline and thinking how things could all possibly line up, but since the release of the book with all the new storyline stuff I figure I need to take a lot of the ideas back to square 1.

I also suppose a big difference in my idea is that it isn't necessarily player vs. player for campaign influence....its player vs. GM to progress through the story.

Edited by thetang22

I guess I would like a blood bowl style "campaign" or maybe mordheim type where each model can get better and gain more skills. I think that cards with skills and gear would work. I am just going to throw some ideas out there. There could be 3-4 control markers on the board with gear underneath them from +1 damage to melee/ranged weapons to scopes for +1 attack. Each time a model survies a game they get points toward a new skill card. the options for these cards are endless there. Maybe each model may only gain 2-3 extra skills.

The balance for fighting unskilled crews would be that every 3 cards cost 1 soulstone. Again these are just ideas off the top of my head, but that is what I think of when people talk about a campaign. gear and skills would have to stay with the model that picked it up, (why would they give it up) that allows for some randomness.

I really like the ideas brainstormed here. Honestly they do remind me of Operation frostbite for AT-43, but I think that campaign system rocks. Haveing 2 or 3 Masters running around a map of connected territories would also have the benefit of having to play different masters/crews in the campaign. (At least I think it's a benefit for a character driven game)

For the experience you could also say that every campaign turn or two every master gets a "level up". This would eliminate the risk of unbalancing the game of crews with different experiences. Similar for minions: If you choose minion upgrades, you upgrade them by type (Death Marshals, Woes, etc.) and they all get the same benefit. Think of it as focused training or better equipment issued for them.

Also for a campaign to avoid getting contrary to the fluff one could use a newly founded guild settlement on the frontier of earthers bounds in search for more soulstone veins/mines while the neverborn naturally try to destroy the interlopers, the arcanists and resurrectionists try to hide there, away from the main base of the witchunters and death marshalls. Naturally this settlement wouldn't be canon (yet), but you would not interact with the already existent fluff, too. (Apart from the characters perhaps, which each game does anyways)

Also I would like the idea of some faction specific benefit, like the guild having the easiest access to soulstones, that each turn they can splitt 3 of them between their masters for example. The arcanists have learned to hide very well and thus can move through enemy occuped terrain without needing to attack, etc.

Just brainstorming too, but man the setting has a feeling that lends itself to story driven campaigns. (Much like the suggested sub-objectives for specific heroes in Wargods)

I'm nervous about adding experience of any sort to Malifaux...the units are very finely balanced, and any tampering may result in unforeseen "ubermodels"...

Maybe instead of experience have "artifacts" which give a bonus a crew can use once per game. Might not be so unbalancing.

Just my 2 cents.

agree

Adding new ability and improving stats is great in games where the models are fairly generic (ex: necromunda).

In this game, the unit are already too developed to add more ability to them.

I think the best way to handle experience, would be that unit gains level, and each level the units have, gives him some sort of positive flip on a flip, once per game .

Edited by streetsamurai

I like the idea of a map-based campaign set outside the city. A few bonus/terrain ideas:

New recruit (1 time bonus)- extra 4 SS that can be used ONLY in hiring crews for one game and ONLY for one model.

SS vein (terrain)- 1 extra SS added to master's cache while you control this piece.

Barracks/hotel (terrain) - Minions cost 25% less while you control this piece.

Spies (1 time bonus)- You may choose your strategy in the next game.

Tunnels (terrain)- One model per game gains December Acolyte's set-up ability (too lazy to find my book for the name).

Terrain that affects the campaign but not the games:

Road- Your Master may move two hexes (or what have you) on the campaign turn.

Telegraph- You may play 1 mission as a Brawl. (probably too overpowering)

Just want to say Ditto to what was said above. I don't think Malifaux lends itself to an experience system for its models.

I think Artifacts and or bonus for holding certain key locations that give once per game bonus to the crew might be better.

Much as I love Necromunda, the crews already have skills and probably wouldn't benefit from Experience. As quoted: an artefact or two and a location benefit would enhance the game rather than unbalance it.

Current "Mighty Empires" style map based should be easy enough. Action centred on the masters only, allows different crews to be hired when needed, stop the campaign geting stale? :684:

Edited by Dogcerberus
Damn that comma!

One good rule would be that you cannot use a Unique model that was involved in another battle in the same turn.

Aka, Candy can only fight once each turn, even if both the Pandora crew and the Zoraida crew controlled by the same player have to battle.

Definitely, and once a unique model dies, they're dead for good. (It might be a good idea to allow a "recovery flip" after the game to see if any killed models survive, though.)