The pirate and the penguin .. a bit of fun with a dio.

demonherald

Waking to find he had been robbed wupprecht tried to piece together the events of the night before .. he remembered parts a great night it was .. A beautiful princess from the east had caught his eye.. Old Tombard the barkeep at the Rusty Spring had been regailing him with tails of terror and the monstrosities he had faced in the seas and out to the west , wether true or made up they were certainly entertaining and one incident involving a strange little French penguin.. The Emperor he called himself and wupprecht remembered a bit of a scuffle between him as the pengun had brought into question hs lineage and cast some insult towards his mother. All that wupprecht could recall was dropping trousers and urinating in the arrogant little penguins direction.. This must have been the incident that led to the break in and worst of all the loss of wupprechts chest and it's valuable treasure within. So gathering his sword and loading up his boat the leaky ferret Wupprecht eaded off on his quest for his beloved treasure. His first port of call the frozen North and that damn penguin..

After weeks of travel wupprecht spied a ship in the distance "THe little emperor" The arrogance of the penguin was incredible he'd even named his ship after himself.. vulgar.. no taste.. The leaky ferret pulled up alongside the little emperor and wupprecht climbed aboard..

"right" he said " I want my treasure chest and I want it now...I know you have it you little Cretin"

the emperor placed down the pilchard salad he was enjoying and dabbed his lip... "Treasure " he said "TREASURE I Haven't got it.. Not intent with ze insult you paid in ze bar peesing on ze emperor but you come here with zis... I shall run you through through with my sword you PATHETIC little creature... "

You'll try" said wupprecht pulling out his sword..

"Halt .. first we will leave my ship, I do not want to spoil it withing the spilling of ze filthy peeg on my deck .. climb down and we shall fight one on one to ze death on that ice block there.."

Wupprecht looked over and saw the ice block in question "your on" he said and climbed down.

The little emperor waddled onto the platform and was lowered down on a winch to the ice.. he planted his nations flag and said "prepare to meet a swift end by ze point of my sword peeg"

The battle was short allright the flippers of the penguin didn't provided much grip on the sword and with one whack the lttle emperor had been disarmed.. stumbling backwards his little legs couldn't keep up with the weight of his bowling pin body and down he fell. Wupprechts stroke was surprisingly quick and pierced a large hole in the little emperor... as wupprecht approached. the emperor gasped... " pleeese.. pleese my friend you have zis all topsy and turvy.. I don't have ze treasure .... ze princess ... I took her instead... she is back at my castle .. I will guide you there .. please spare me my friend..."

"The princess... ?? what was she to do with it ?? why did you take her ?? "

" well ze insults you paid me of course . I told you I would reclam my retribution .. But we are all even now my little friend..? you need me .. you will not enter my castle alive to resue her without me ,my voice is ze law... "

Wupprecht thought about this for a moment... Even?? EVEN ? " he shouted " You said my mother enjoyed mating with dogs.. .. "

"well deedn't she????"

that was enough one swift sweep and the emperors head was parted from his shoulders .. Wupprecht replaced the emperors flag with his own and headed back to his ship a little tired but fueled with thoughts of his next destination.. "I must rescue the princess..I'll need this " with that he gathered up the emperors head and set off in the leaky ferret to his next destinaton..

pirateandpenguin.jpg

Rght first of the bat I want to say .. This piece is in no way designed to insult anybody. I have no anti French felings and hope that those who see it see it for the fun it is...

The piece is the first in a few I a developing involving young Wupprecht.. I love the little guy and cae up with the idea to have him setting off on a quest to find his treasure and this is the first step in that. The penguin had been sat on my desk for a while and is a great little characterful sculpt y Jeremie Bonamant and is part of the Artefactory range which can be found on the Kraken website. ...

Th base was made to represent a smal ice island floating in a freezing ocean and althouh tricky to see in the pictures the ice itself is completely suspendd in the resin not touching the bottom and the resin surrounds the base.. Thiswas a trick in itself and I will go into that in further detail at a future date. The flagpole was made from copper rod and pewter sheet with greenstuff for the rope.

The conversion work was surprisingly complex.. The first job was the removal of wupprechts treasure which resulted in the left arm and the side of his jacket to be resculpted. The penguin head was removed and placed under his arm where the chest had been. The pnguin was no less difficult despite the fairly simple sculp and small size I had to remove him from the ice block he was attatched to remould him so he laid flat nd his clothes fell to the floor as well asresculpt his flipper to flop out to the side and add in new feet and tail detail s well as the severed details on the neck...

All in all fiddlier than it may seem but in the end I think worth it...

anyway let me know what you think and again please don't misread this as any anti French feeling..

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

That's just brilliant. And it sums up how I feel with Kraken Editions at the time perfectly :embarasse

What a funny, well painted and fantastic diorama! :clap:

It's great how you've really captured the colour that I imagine ice cold water would be. Plus it's made all the funnier by the smug look on wupprecht's face! Would love to see some closer pics if you've got them.

Nicely done DH this is quite a funny concept and great idea with a good background story to go with it , a background story is not something you see too often with mini`s unless its game related normally.Overall a well executed project with nice painting and i like the Wryd logo on the back of the jolly roger neat touch :bigthumb:.

Will be looking forward to seeing the other wupprecht dioramas as you get them done.

Edited by Silmarilias

cheers .. oh and welcome to the forums .. missed a few of the intro threads recently..

background is always something I think about when painting and could ofen come up with a whole narrative for why things are the way they are but i rarely actually put i down... this one was too much fun to resist and the storytelling is all part of the project so watch this space... thanks again

Rob,

I am very disappointed as I have an anti-french feeling when I see this. ;)

More seriously I didn't know english people had such ears like Wupprecht :D

That's an hilarious diorama, the paintjob is awesome, and I wish I had such a clever idea. I love it.

Tell us more about the ice in the resin.