A new Iron Painter?

supervike

Hiya folks.

Is there interest in another Iron Painter?

I'm not feeling the urge to set one up (it's a lot of work at times!), but maybe after some discussion, I'll see the light.

Some points to discuss.

Do we like the current incarnation?

What could be changed?

Time length too short? Too Long? Just right?

What other things should we implement?

Are the themes too dorky?

Should we do something with teams?

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

Prizes?

Trophy?

Some sort of kickback to supervike?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interesrted in another Iron Painter : IP6 - The Revenge of Moavoamoatu.

I'm not feeling the urge to take part in one right now as I am too busy with other projects.

Yes that's perfect.

What could be changed?

I like it this way.

Otherwise, you could stop pairing people and only the best scores would go further. That's good luck or bad luck when your opponent is not of the same painting level.

Far too long : 2 weeks to paint and 1 to judge it lasts 3 months. You could let one week for painters or have less rounds.

See above.

The themes are perfect and funny.

I join the team with naked girls...if there is one.

What do you mean by "teams" ? How would you create them ?

Prizes?

Like last time or no prizes at all that's up to Nathan the Boss.

Trophy?

A trophy miniature would be fun and great (like Black Scorpion does). A Wyrd IP miniature looking like Supervike's avatar.

I prefer the whip.

My 2 cents on IP.

Iron Terrain Builder......now thats an interesting idea. However, I'm afraid not enough people would enter because a lot of people don't make terrain. I don't think it would be interesting if Terrain was a round of Iron Painter though. People would have to build a diorama that focused on the terrain instead of the minis in it. That could be fun.

The idea of teams could be very interesting. For instance, Bug says he's not much for painting minis, but doing terrain is really his forte. So...you get a team together, and all of a sudden Bug becomes a hot commodity for the team for his particular talent. If you could get a wide range of categories required for the competition you could see some very diverse teams.

Lets say you've got a round or 2 for tradition painting of a small piece, then you've got a terrain round, then you've got a round where you have to do a warband diorama (build both terrain and paint the minis for a wargroup or unit from any game). I see the possibilities to be quite fun and interesting that way. I don't know if everyone would be crazy about the idea of relying on others.

I'm also not sure if an idea like this would necessarily be considered Iron Painter. Maybe a new contest that was more team-oriented and focused on lots of different elements would be more appropriate.

Yes, have some!

Absolutely. Plus, we can't have Noel running around saying, "Yeah but I won the REAL Iron Painter twice, not this new one for sissies..."

What could be changed?

Can't think of anything. It's a good format you've all come up with.

I read Moveamorateaux's comments, and have to say - you need to allow the 2 weeks. I, for one, don't have a miniatures store I can walk into and just pick up whatever I need at a moment's notice - so I have to rely on internet shopping and mail delivery to even GET the model - which takes at LEAST one of the 2 weeks. I'm sure others are in the same boat. Of course the judgin COULD be quicker... EricJ, is that room painted yet? How many Size 0's you go through?

I would say they're just dorky enough... :)

No! Every man for himself! Or girls, if there's girls. I heard at one point, there were girls.

One... Two... ThrCRUNCH!

Prizes?

Trophy?

I just like the process - anything else is just gravy. Not necessary, I don't think.

Now, I'd definitely suggest waiting until after the holidays have settled down - so start the next one in 2009. Those are my only 2 cents though. Bring it ON!

well im starting to feel aenemic so must be IP time - The Darklord Returns!!

it does go on quite long but 1 week may be too short i think unless you do more generic themes which wouldnt be as fun.

to shorten it i have a some ideas:

3 way pairings for the first couple of rounds would trim the numbers a bit if there are a lot of entrants. or even groups of say 5 with top 2 going through

have no pairings for the first round and the top say 25% go through.

the only problem with these two ideas are they reduce the chances for 'weaker' entrants

the other idea was have the first couple of rounds as normal except have anonymous polling (like RH or TT). the polls only need be open for say 3 days so would speed things up and give the judges time to clear their schedule for the later rounds. You could also add a peoples champion into this - like a best of show, and however gets most votes in this that doesnt win through gets a wild card.

of course all these ideas would change IP, so may not suit, but change can be good. WHatever happens with it i will be entering. (although last years finalists should automatically go to the semi finals!!)

@ Bugking, enter i goot to the final and most of these guys are far better painter - just use greenskins and youll be fine

I'd enter if I had the time, so I would like to see a new one.

But come Jan I will be away in France for a month, then away to live in Italy in April/May so for me to enter it would have to be over xmas, but even then I'm going back to Spain for 2 weeks.

Come to think of it then I won't be entering...but I still like looking at the entries :D

I wish I could be your opponent ;)

Well I'm in something like an Iron Terrain Builder competition right now. The Terrainthrall 2009 contest is between the Terrainthrall members this time as opposed to adding members.

The scope of the projects are daunting too. Scarab is building an entire city!

So if we do in fact do an Iron terrain Builder it would have to start after march 16th 2009.

That being said I would love to enter a terrain building comp that you entered as well Moa. It would generate some crazy pieces I am sure.

@ Darklord - I may just enter. The problem is not that I can't paint well, (I can paint at a consistent 8 to 8.5 cmon level) it's that I paint at a glacial pace and the IP requires some amazing feats of speed as well as creativity.

The other complication is that I have so much going on with terrain construction right now that I doubt I will be able to come up for air till next summer. There is a LOT on the slate at the moment.

1. Another IP? Am I to be dethroned that quickly? (Actually, I think it has been just long enough to have forgotten how grueling it is and think it's a good idea.)

2. Terrain Painter? :vb_devil: (Though, I agree, it would likely appeal to far fewer people and probably be less successful than another IP.)

3. Two weeks is perfect. I admit, Moavoamoatu has a point, but I think two weeks is as short as you can go and still reasonably expect people to finish. Commander Y's reason for one- if you need to order your figures, you'll need a least a week just for that. In my case, I have my son every other weekend, so in a two week period, I will have at least one weekend free to paint.

4. I would keep it exactly as it is. One-on-one pairings all the way, except possibly in the final round, as last time. But even then, only if there are a very large number of rounds. And truthfully, if I really had my way, not even then. The one-on-one aspect is the part of this contest that really sets it apart from all others, and is therefore the thing I would want toyed with the least. The grueling, long-haul aspect (while torturous at the time) is probably the second most important aspect of it. It's as much about going the distance as it is actually winning.

Though, I assure you, winning still KICKS ASS.

5. I'm certain that there are many people who would gladly help Supervike run the contest. I imagine it is quite a load to handle, but I would bet that somebody could handle the tabulating, then hand it off to Vike to post the actual results. Somebody else could possibly handle the galleries, etc. I'd offer, but I want to compete.

Edited by Bexley

Round 2 of the last IP was - without any doubt - the worst fortnight of my life in the last six years ... yep, I'd be up for another IP: I'll be that jack russel gnawing on Commander Y's ankle again ... and again.;)

I'll have moved into a new gaff by the next one, so hopefully will be able to give a better accounting of myself.

Not very helpful, but I both like it as it is and like some of the suggestions of how to change (not improve) it - I mentioned a 'people's vote' variation last time. I'd keep the duel format and I'd certainly agree with the Commander about not shortening the deadlines and for the same reason.

I'd suggest if you change it too much, to call it something else, coz IP's an Institution!

I think the themes should be as random as possible to maximise variety: I didn't like the pop songs meta theme at all - too samey in tone (all banal or cliche phrases).

Must be something in the air though, because I've been itching for a new IP for around a week now....

If there's another IP you can count me in its about time i started to do something instead of watching DH do his stuff .Also with what iv seen of IP its good for developing new skills new friends and alot more if any thing it could be made shorter like darklord said do knockout groups before the finals ......

I'd love to be a first round knockout in IP!:rolleyes: I was lurking for the last one and would love to give it a go. I would appreciate 2 weeks as well though. After the holidays may help as well, I'm usually broke and super busy before hand. Looks like a great way to test new things out and learn from some very talented people!

So it would seem. Not for me this time, though; I haven't picked up a brush in two months due to work and other projects keeping me far too busy to paint (and it doesn't look there's going to be any easing up for a while).

I do.

What could be changed?

I say: nothing. However, there are some ideas below.

The length of Iron Painter is one of the things that makes it great. Yes, when there are a lot of entrants it does seem to drag on, but that's something that people should expect (especially by now).

I would say that if the length is of great concern, you could always implement something for the first round where people are not paired. Instead, they paint their entries, each entry is judged (like it is now) and the top 10 (or 12 or 16 or how ever many you decide) will then move onto rounds where they are paired off. Personally, I still like the idea of pairing people off, no matter how long it takes.

I believe it was mentioned - either during or right after the last IP - to limit the number of entrants to a certain number, but not to limit the number of people signing up. Those that signed up after the first 32 - or 64 or whatever - would be "Wyrd Cards" who would still have to paint something. They would then be able to take the place of anyone that DNF'd, thus keeping the pairings even and not allowing anyone to simply advance by virtue of their opponent having to deal with personal issues.

This option would only be available during the first round.

Nope. Love the variety of ways that they can be interpreted.

I say no. IP is about one-on-one, head-to-head competition.

Depends on the licker, I suppose.

Prizes?

I think what's in place is fine.

Trophy?

Sure. It's been mentioned and I like the idea.

Maybe when I get paid. $20 work for you?

Yeah, why not.

Any changes? Yes, don't change the rules when the game is on (like with a threeway final).

Any news? Maybe immunities for two best painters of a round in early rounds? That could motivate people to do their best in early rounds.

No, immunity for the IP5 finalists : they would compete in the semi-final with the best painters of previous rounds (in this way I could have some rest ;) )

I

I believe it was mentioned - either during or right after the last IP - to limit the number of entrants to a certain number, but not to limit the number of people signing up. Those that signed up after the first 32 - or 64 or whatever - would be "Wyrd Cards" who would still have to paint something. They would then be able to take the place of anyone that DNF'd, thus keeping the pairings even and not allowing anyone to simply advance by virtue of their opponent having to deal with personal issues.

This option would only be available during the first round.

I liked this idea a lot. As much as Iron Painter *is* about the long haul and the one on one dynamic, six rounds was just too damned long. My family started rooting for me to lose so that they'd see me again.

Absolutely. Plus, we can't have Noel running around saying, "Yeah but I won the REAL Iron Painter twice, not this new one for sissies..."

Bah, I still get to snigger at the woosies who only had to go five rounds of Iron Painter. :P

Now, I'd definitely suggest waiting until after the holidays have settled down - so start the next one in 2009. Those are my only 2 cents though. Bring it ON!

I'm with you on this one. I'd like to go in on the next one, but I'm not sure it's doable if it runs over the holidays.

What size brush are you using?