Wow Technology

Griff

Hi All,

this is my first forum ever and as I got "Chamelon" into painting she has shown me the wonderful benefits of the forums especially the friendly ones.

I have been painting far longer than I can remember, well I started on fantasy miniatures for real in 1986 after the GW paint set was released (after all the standard Airfix kits as a kid). I was hooked and have been ever since.

I probably only paint a handful of figures now but remain as excited by every project and still place at Salute and usually gain the odd finalist at GD.

I have been in HIV research for 20 years but due to job losses have now moved into Business Continuity.... sort of Disaster Management. Computers are foreign to me and the forums more so. Once I find a suitable image I will added it to my profile. Look forway to a happy time on the forum and learning the etiquette of posts

Cheers Griff

WELCOME ABOARD! This was my first forum ever also. It's been such a wonderful experience that I now haunt a couple others. Enjoy your stay; if you were looking for a friendly hangout, you're home!

PS My PC HATES me & my camera is DEMONICALLY POSSESSED, so you have a kindred spirit on site.;)

Thanks for the warm welcome. As Chameleon and I are getting to grips with the technology and our first light box and down loaded a version of Adobe Phtoshop v 6 today we hope to get some photos together by the weekend. So posts should come soon, bear in mind I painted 5 figures last year and less than that this year so it wont be quantity. As for the rest we try and aim to improve.

Cheers Griff

Heh, nah, that comes from three kids who all think they run the house and are adults. :D

Painting, it comes from just not having the time any more as between family, work and Wyrd I have exactly zero spare time these days. I think it would probably be a bit different if I had a dedicated painting area where I could walk in and sit down for half an hour here and there but that's not going to happen for another year or two I don't expect.

I'll get in another mini painted this year for the giggles of it though I'm sure!

Gosh no where to paint. :( I have one spare bedroom for my Minis (what a mess). One Bedroom to paint in and the dinning room table is now full of Golden Demon Projects and paints set uip fopr two painters. Plus when I visit Chameleon we have set up a paint table big enough for us both and one for her to "Study" On. Usually using the computer to google minis

Heh, nah, that comes from three kids who all think they run the house and are adults. :D

Painting, it comes from just not having the time any more as between family, work and Wyrd I have exactly zero spare time these days. I think it would probably be a bit different if I had a dedicated painting area where I could walk in and sit down for half an hour here and there but that's not going to happen for another year or two I don't expect.

I'll get in another mini painted this year for the giggles of it though I'm sure!

p'ssshhh...I've had a dedicated painting area for nearly 2 years, but it doesn't do me a lot of good. I have one child and that seems to be enough; can't imagine trying to find time for my hobby with 3. The last mini I completed was for Rotten Harvest '07. My 'half an hour here and there' ends up spent dusting off the workbench, washing a palette & tools, digging out brushes, shaking paint, dealing with another hour of interruptions and wondering why my creative drive left in such a huff.

I paint nearly everyday ...;) don't have a dedicated painting area curretly I've just sort of muscled in and taken over the kitchen.. (well I do all the cooking and washing anyway so who cares..) It's the safest place away from my 3 year old investigator...

I used to hate exactly what you have said there greyhorde There is nothing more demoralising than having to clean everything up before even starting....

Hey Griff you going to UK GD then ??? cool .. don't know wether or not you know but there's a group of Brit painters starting and we're having the first meeting on Sunday at Warhammer world nottingham .. A few demon winners going (me included...:D) and a fair bit of miniature niceness to be displayed as well as demos and the like... I'll be taking my GD WIP's with me ... as are a few of the other guys as well as previous winning minis.....

all good fun... and hopefully the first of many meetings around the country for brit painters...

Greyhorde, been wondering where you got off too - been too quiet, keep in touch.

Know exactly what you mean about the cleaning up just to get started. Does nothing for me other than make it more of a chore, much less having to set everything up again. I like to think that I would get some painting time in, if nothing else, my kids would be able to sit down and paint as they wish (and boy do they beg, just a real hassle pulling it all out of the closet). One of these days though.

Heh, Rob, you'll have to wear a Wyrd shirt when you win at Games Day.

:vb_devil:

Greyhorde, been wondering where you got off too - been too quiet, keep in touch.

Know exactly what you mean about the cleaning up just to get started. Does nothing for me other than make it more of a chore, much less having to set everything up again. I like to think that I would get some painting time in, if nothing else, my kids would be able to sit down and paint as they wish (and boy do they beg, just a real hassle pulling it all out of the closet). One of these days though.

Heh, Rob, you'll have to wear a Wyrd shirt when you win at Games Day.

:vb_devil:

Wasn't there some hullabaloo last year or year before bout a GD winner who refused to change shirt advertising some other company when getting his photo taken

Heh heh...thanks, FF. Sorry for the long absence, but RL has just been a whirlwind this year. Never enough money, too many repairs & projects, and suddenly I have a subscription to Family Handyman magazine. Never thought I'd see the day, ya' know? Makes me feel old.

re: painting prep, in my case, I really shouldn't complain. A few minutes cleaning up before painting is still much better than it used to be. Before the dedicated space and paints in dropper bottles, I could literally spend a week digging things out, cleaning up, trying to recover dried up paint pots & bottles, pitching a third of them, buying more, replacing brushes...and finally getting too burned out to actually paint more than one or two tabletop pieces. The window of opportunity would close, another year or three would slide by, and the cycle would repeat. Now, it's more a matter of compressed evenings and being worn out after 14-16 hours of being on the go, 6 and 7 days a week. :flaminghe

It will get better, though. Several of the bigger honey-do projects are done and a few more should be done over the next couple of months. With luck, I'll be back in the painting groove in time for Rotten Harvest '08.

on Topic: hey, Griff, welcome to the boards! It's a little Wyrd, here, but you'll get used to it. ;) (Apologies for 'jacking the thread.)