R.I.A JMD Demon

matty1001

I'm entering this for the Salute competition and want to improve it (I have 2 days left in which to do so) so I want some good criticism for improvements. Literally R.I.A (Rip It Apart)

Since pulling it out again I'v added;

blood drips to the hand,

more base work to balance the composition with the tail,

lots of green glazes in the shadows (not sure how well this shows in the pics),

upped the contrast on the face,

Added dust to the feet and hand touching the floor,

and used combination of satin and gloss varnishes to boost the red highlights.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Demon1.jpg

Demon2.jpg

Demon3.jpg

Demon4.jpg

Demon5.jpg

I think the changes you've made are rather substantial improvements! It could be a photo issue to a certain extent, but these pics look much better than your previous set. The piece looks much more dramatic and striking now!

What I feel could be improved further is the following (in decreasing order of importance, as I see it):

- More highlights on upper back, shoulders, out-stretched arm, protruding knee and knuckles of the hand touching the base.

- Deeper shading (and I mean deep, as in close to black) in the lower abdomen and crotch area.

- Expand the area on the face with higher contrast to include at least the upper jaw. As it is now the mouth and teeth area is overpowered by the nose-eyes-brow area.

- Make the sides of the iron cuffs darker (i.e. the sides that indicate the thickness of the cuffs).

- Darken the edges between nails and fingers/toes slightly to make them stand out more.

Is that enough ripping apart for you? ;)

A common problem for us mini painters. Know exactly what you mean...

Agreed...

I think Anders has hit the main points..

For me slightly lighter on the back and define the parts where nails meet toe..

Also I can't help thinking he would benefit rom maybe doing the eye's yellow ?? or something similar it's just at the moment they ain't catching my attention as they should ....

maybe play with the blood effect a bit more maybe on the other hand and dripping down the base a touch.....

echoing Anders he is definitely looking better....doesn't look like I'll make Salute now as I have a follow up appointment at the old Hosp on Friday involving possible overnight stay... grrrrr.....

good luck though chief rooting for ya....

I think he looks good but as you asked for it, I'll have to say that additional highlights and shadows as well, though Anders and Rob covered that pretty well and I just sound like a parakeet. Right now though there just doesn't seem anything drawing the eye overall as it just seems like a lump of red.

That being said, I know that red is a real pain to photograph and I'm expecting this one looks a good deal better in hand.

The face sorts of just gets lost in there, there is nothing to draw any attention to the mouth and the eyes which I personally feel would be two of the biggest draws, particularly if I had that bastard looking at me. Perhaps overemphasizing them a bit might even be worthwhile, making the eyes a glowing contrasting color perhaps.

Lastly, the base - normally I'm a fan of the ones that you've put together but this one just seems 'blah' and brown, which goes along with the red. Too much of it.

Nice stuff overall, but if you want cutting honesty, I would tend to say nothing really pops out in particular, as it all has the same overtone of colors, whether between your figure or your base.

Ain't dodge and burn great :D Cheers for that. I'm working on bringing the highlights up now, by mixing blood red with flesh colours, but it's hard not pushing it to far pink. And getting a white sheen style highlight (as in that pic) is really, really hard lol

I'v also darkened the areas around the eyes so they stand out more. And blackened the edges of the nails.

It's coming along quite well. Cheers for all the tips.

Cheers Squig, but I havn't got the time to redo the hair. It'll just have to stay like that.

A new pic: (Light isn't so good, so it isn't as great as the earlier ones)

Demon6.jpg

Just been glazing highlights over and over, the re glazing back down. Rinse and repeat. Very slow going, but slowly it is getting brighter. And did some deep black shadows. Also washed and blacklined the nails.

The back muscles are very hard to get a good smooth glaze because they are huge, and covered in tiny detail, so the paint has a tendency to run into them. So I put a layer on, then mop most of it up. Like taking 3 steps forward 2 steps back.

Nathan, hopefully the red is looking a little less monotonous now?

And Rob, loved the blood on the plinth idea, and it works great! (IMO of course...)

Hi Matty

I also do not want to sound like a parrot but I think it will definitely benefit from upping the highlights, and deepening the shadows.

I know automaton had a good method of increasing the (it may be available on Oz Painter but I read it here) http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13701&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20 highlights on red without dragging it into the pink. This may be a method you want to try.

I think the blood could do with being extended and the face still needs something as I mentioned previously. I am glad to see so many people are giving you the same advice, it saves confusion.

Nigel

You're getting there, Matty! This is a big improvement over the earlier set of pics. The highlights really bring it to life and the face looks more eye-catching now that you've extended the higher contrast all the way down to the teeth. Something needs to be done with the eyes as they sort of get lost a bit. And the crotch area looks too bright in this photo. But I'd say 75% of the job is done here... only a bit further to go! :)

Continued on with more glazes of reds just to smooth everything out, and changed the eyes to an Ice Blue after Anders recommendation. And Squig I slightly lightened up that shoulder area.

And a nice huge pic, as photobucket wouldn't upload so I'v used my Mac web gallery.

web.jpg

Nigel kiss good bye to your dreams (as honestly that is all they are) of winning that sword away! ;)

Haha Nigel you sound like Morpheus "He is beginning to believe"

Now I just have to learn Kung-Fu...

I can't wait for Salute :D Another 6 or 7 hours and I'll have to start getting ready! Got an early 4.30am start tomorrow.

Cheers Dave, I'm sure Il have lots of photos, should be a grand day!

Haha!! When I had 6-7 hours until leaving for Paris last year I had two minis to finish, varnish all the minis and get them securely attached to the bottom of the case I was going to transport them in. In fact, I think it was around 7 hours left when I decided to add the etched brass tree to Galadriel's base and I spent a few hours swearing and regretting it because it was such a hassle to paint. And after that, I had to paint the base for Taxxis and attach her to it. :)

That's looking great bud......good call on the eye colour Anders.....

couple of things if time......

The right arm as we look at it.....

The highlights at the top of the arm .. just take them a touch further into that whole creased area just to complete the shape of the muscle a touch more...

Try a purple or slightly bluish glaze or two on the vein detail

another couple of darkening glazes on the shackle to give it a more defined round shape.

also a touch deeper with the shades in the creases on the face....

have fun and looking great....